Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I suppose with the Shaw thing...if you could have got Ashley Cole as an 18 year old with the foresight to know what a career he would have, how much would he have been worth? Definitely in the relms of 30m I would say.... it's mad money particularly if starts knocking 40m but that's the way I would look at it. Get him bought, keep his contract ticking over and we are sorted for LB for 15 years minimum.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I was impressed with him last night. But it's just retarded money. 25 million for a young player like that is more than enough. You could arguably get 3 good LB's for 40 million!

You are right - 3 good LB's.

I'm not one for hyperbole, but I don't think there are many better prospects at LB than Luke Shaw. He could be our LB for 15 years. I agree that the prices being touted are madness but sometimes paying mad money is a necessity. We are very weak in that position. If United agreed a deal around 27 increasing to 35-37 depending on how he does, I'd be quite content.

Woodward will sign up a few new sponsors to cover it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Al Capwned wrote: »
    I get peoples concerns about the proposed fee for Shaw, but take a moment to consider this.

If Chelsea (for example) came in with a 40m bid and it was accepted and went through, would we be
    a) pissed that we didn't just get the deal done, or
    b) glad we didn't spend big money on a teenager....

Me? Firmly in the 'a' camp - If he's available, go get him, because if we don't somebody else will.

Not gonna happen Chelsea are signing Filipe Luis. Who else will pay this money for Shaw? I don't think anyone will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

ericzeking wrote: »
    I suppose with the Shaw thing...if you could have got Ashley Cole as an 18 year old with the foresight to know what a career he would have, how much would he have been worth? Definitely in the relms of 30m I would say.... it's mad money particularly if starts knocking 40m but that's the way I would look at it. Get him bought, keep his contract ticking over and we are sorted for LB for 15 years minimum.

Like Arsenal did?

Ashley Cole is probably the worst example you could have picked there.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

That's a very good point that I hadn't really considered. Either way it's not my money so... :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I agree with Mitch, saying that there are alternatives, but I have a real feeling that if we don't splash the cash for this lad, we're gonna be looking back in 4 or 5 years time saying that we should have spent big to get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

FutureGuy wrote: »
    You are right - 3 good LB's.

I'm not one for hyperbole, but I don't think there are many better prospects at LB than Luke Shaw. He could be our LB for 15 years. I agree that the prices being touted are madness but sometimes paying mad money is a necessity. We are very weak in that position. If United agreed a deal around 27 increasing to 35-37 depending on how he does, I'd be quite content.

Woodward will sign up a few new sponsors to cover it.

You have no guarantee that you'll get that 15 years out of him... We bought Jones will this future England captain hype for relatively big money and he's been utterly disappointing.

You have no guarantee that you'll get that 15 years out of him... We bought Jones will this future England captain hype for relatively big money and he's been utterly disappointing.

He hasn't been allowed to play though. I maintain that if Phil Jones/Smalling/Evans had a season at CB they would show signs of a decent CB. Two much shifting Jones to RB, CM or CB for him to really show what he can do in any one position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

ACtually, this is what Ogden is saying this morning, different to what I thought it was.

Can't see us going for Shaw and Blind. Also, lacks an attacking threat on that list - such as Robben, Sanchez or even Depay.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10921960/Ander-Herrera-to-sign-for-Manchester-United-for-29m.html

It has the makings of an interesting team.

DDG

Raf
    Hummels----Evans----Shaw

DeJong
    Herrara

Kagawa

Rooney
    Mata

RVP

It has the makings of an interesting team.

DDG

Raf
    Hummels----Evans----Shaw

DeJong
    Herrara

Kagawa

Rooney
    Mata

RVP
    De Gea
    Rafael - Hummels - Evans - Shaw
    Strootman - Herrera - DeJong
    Mata
    Rooney - RVP
    I reckon it'll be 4-3-1-2 as much as possible. Mata starts over Kagawa every day of the week (as much as I love Shinji). Option to go 4-3-3 and play Depay and Januzaj flanking a lone RVP/Rooney as well.

Mata's wasted out wide, and he's shown what he can do at #10 where as Kagawa hasn't really when given the chance. Maybe Shinji could become a converted CM though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Dejong would be a great addition to the team. I would prefer him than Fell

Zico wrote: »
    Like Arsenal did?

Ashley Cole is probably the worst example you could have picked there.:D

He came through Arsenals youth system, do we have any 'Luke Shaws' in our youth system??

Cole is the best example because as a player, he has an almost identic profile, young English teenage international left back, touted to be in the position for many years to come, this is who Shaw is being compared to.

Since Cole has never commanded a transfer fee, the only one we can use is a hypothetical one.

You've completely missed the point I was making.

He came through Arsenals youth system, do we have any 'Luke Shaws' in our youth system??

Cole is the best example because as a player, he has an almost identic profile, young English teenage international left back, touted to be in the position for many years to come, this is who Shaw is being compared to.

Since Cole has never commanded a transfer fee, the only one we can use is a hypothetical one.

You've completely missed the point I was making.
    Cole cost Chelsea 5m + William Gallas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Mufc Exclusive news @corrienationstr · 3m
    .Final Shaw talks Friday .Herrera Statement due soon .

Not sure how reliable he is.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Cole cost Chelsea 5m + William Gallas.

Did he? My apologies, I thought he was a freebie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Seamus Coleman was signed for approx €65,000.
    Luke Shaw €40 million.....

Have a think about that then.....

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Mufc Exclusive news @corrienationstr · 3m

Not sure how reliable he is.

About as reliable as a chocolate teapot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/5297616.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Whats gonna happen with Fellaini? Would we get anyone to buy him? I just can't see how hes gonna fit in any Van Gaal team.

bullvine wrote: »
    Whats gonna happen with Fellaini? Would we get anyone to buy him? I just can't see how hes gonna fit in any Van Gaal team.

15m sale. He could do a job as a target man in the box for the long ball. He's much better going forward then he is at DM. He's a CAM /Second striker kinda' player imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

Gallas probably worth about -5mil so close enough to a freebie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

MagicIRL wrote: »
    15m sale. He could do a job as a target man in the box for the long ball. He's much better going forward then he is at DM. He's a CAM /Second striker kinda' player imo.

I suppose you could see West Ham buying him, he'd suit their style of play, getting 15m for him now would be good business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

POSSY wrote: »
    Gallas probably worth about -5mil so close enough to a freebie

Gallas was worth more than that at the time, he was a beast for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

About as reliable as a chocolate teapot.

Sounds delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Just wondering...Pogba would qualify as a homegrown player if he was bought back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

bullvine wrote: »

Straight swap back to Everton for Coleman. :cool:

keane2097 wrote: »
    Gallas was worth more than that at the time, he was a beast for a while.
    Yep I'd say maybe 10m for Gallas would have been fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Al Capwned wrote: »
    I agree with Mitch, saying that there are alternatives, but I have a real feeling that if we don't splash the cash for this lad, we're gonna be looking back in 4 or 5 years time saying that we should have spent big to get him.

If history of modern day English players is ANYTHING to go by, usually it ends up with regret in regards to English signings, and it is a rare occasion whereby you are "annoyed" you didn't pickup an English player.

Is anyone here "annoyed" we didn't get in the hunt for Caroll, Walcott, Gibbs, Henderson, Downing, Milner, Cahill, Wilshere?

Is anyone here overly enthused and impressed that we made the deals happen for Smalling, Jones, Young?

Are we overly excited at the propest of Cleverly, Wellbeck?

There is a scatter of players you can cite that as normal are hyped up beyond belief regarding English players, that end up being nothing but mediocre and occasionaly "decent to good"players.

I for one believe we won't be sitting here in a few years being proud as punch how we landed Shaw. But that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Seamus Coleman was signed for approx €65,000.
    Luke Shaw €40 million.....

Have a think about that then.....

As someone pointed out yesterday, Moyes would make one hell of a scout.

• Advertisement

He hasn't been allowed to play though. I maintain that if Phil Jones/Smalling/Evans had a season at CB they would show signs of a decent CB. Two much shifting Jones to RB, CM or CB for him to really show what he can do in any one position.

Evans I find solid with a good experience defender beside him. Smalling isn't hard in the tackle or brave enough, he's also not that comfortable on the ball. Jones has the attributes alright but his decision making isn't great. Rafael... I hope he can reclaim the form he had a few seasons ago.

We've basically a back line full of young (and relatively expensive) defenders that haven't come good. There's no guarantee Luke Shaw will be any different (I say this in more of a cautious frame of mind, I'm actually a big fan of Shaw but just not for that fee)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Milner and Walcott would have been great for United.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

A wide man who is defensively sound and knows how to cross?

What is this madness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

De Jong would be a really good fit for Utd imo and certainly "gettable"

• adox wrote: »
    De Jong would be a really good fit for Utd imo and certainly "gettable"
    Very impressed with De Jong.

LVG Plays to his strengths and gets the best out of him. Would love to see him play in front of the defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

TheDoc wrote: »
    If history of modern day English players is ANYTHING to go by, usually it ends up with regret in regards to English signings, and it is a rare occasion whereby you are "annoyed" you didn't pickup an English player.

Is anyone here "annoyed" we didn't get in the hunt for Caroll, Walcott, Gibbs, Henderson, Downing, Milner, Cahill, Wilshere?

Is anyone here overly enthused and impressed that we made the deals happen for Smalling, Jones, Young?

Are we overly excited at the propest of Cleverly, Wellbeck?

There is a scatter of players you can cite that as normal are hyped up beyond belief regarding English players, that end up being nothing but mediocre and occasionaly "decent to good"players.

I for one believe we won't be sitting here in a few years being proud as punch how we landed Shaw. But that's just me.
    Off course ye would take Milner, Walcott and Cahill. They would all improve your team

• Advertisement

astonaidan wrote: »
    Off course ye would take Milner, Walcott and Cahill. They would all improve your team

A fit Walcott I'd definitely take, Cahill is an upgrade on what we have also. Dunno about Milner though, hardy worker and all but we have enough sub par wingers.

De Jong would put the bite right back in to United's midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

He would be a fangtastic addition really.

Milner gets a harder time than he's due IMO, right good player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Just to be clear, you mean 'bite' in a metaphorical sense right?

We don't want a guy going around biting people because that would be indefensible and the club would be forever shamed by such a player.:)

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Milner gets a harder time than he's due IMO, right good player.

Yeah but was he worth what City paid for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

kagawa awful last night??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Henderson would be a good addition to the United midfield

slingerz wrote: »

Henderson is not a good addition to any midfield.

bangkok wrote: »
    kagawa awful last night??

Not at all. Lacked match sharpness methinks but had a wonderful game. Japan lack a decent striker so there's only so much Kagawa can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Henderson was one of the top performing midfielders in the EPL last season

• slingerz wrote: »
    post-bad.jpg

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Yeah but was he worth what City paid for him.

I haven't the foggiest what they paid for him to be honest, it's pretty irrelevant to the fact that he's a really good player in any case. Depending on what it was they paid it's possible not buying him at the time was a good call of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

He's better than anything united have there ATM. Has come on leaps and bounds. Wether that makes him good enough that he should be the level united look for is another story.

• Pyjamarama wrote: »
    He's better than anything united have there ATM. Has come on leaps and bounds. Wether that makes him good enough that he should be the level united look for is another story.
    He's an AM, LOL so he's better than Mata?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement