Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

fitze69 wrote: »
    All Spanish football contracts have buy out clauses.

is that another Twitter rumour? or have you seen something of substance to confirm this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Don't do it to yourself Mitch, you know this transfer is not going to happen now.

The way I see it, it is very possible that nothing has changed. the reality of the situation is that if we are going the release clause route, which is what was reported yesterday - then Bilbao can't reject it, only the LFP can. The release clause route is completely different to a normal transfer so if they have rejected a bid it only makes sense that it is a seperate, earlier, bid to sign the player - and the registering of documentation and depositing of the release clause at LFP was a reaction to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

I read we offered the money direct to Bilbao as a 'normal' transfer, so it is possible that they have rejected that bid while SEPARATELY to this Herrera has done whatever bits he needs to do to activate his transfer release himself (notification and deposit of money with LFP, which is what has been reported) so that the everything that is being reported is true.

ie. it COULD be that they have rejected a bid that was made previously and that the release clause activation is still happening/in process and in effect nothing has actually changed.

I hope this is the case, anyway.

Yes, reading a few things on it myself, i think this is whats happened.....

He was in Carrington yesterday, so things are definitely moving along....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    is that another Twitter rumour? or have you seen something of substance to confirm this?

It's in Football Manager :P:pac:

Uriel. wrote: »
    It's in Football Manager :P:pac:

never played the game in my life but I wouldn't be surprised if that is where folk get their info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Yes, reading a few things on it myself, i think this is whats happened.....

He was in Carrington yesterday, so things are definitely moving along....

How do you know for sure?

I'm not saying he wasn't I'm just wondering was it actually confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

The rumoured buy-out clause? that sits alongside the rumour he was at Utd yesterday.

best thing to do now is whoever posted, tweeted this crap then unfollow.
    turn and negative into a positive and all that jazz.

And?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I UNDERSTAND LITERALLY ZERO OF HOW FOOTBALLS TRANSFERS WORK.

The mind boggles, it really does.

#InFellainiWeTrust

Ed is that you?

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    And?

you lost me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

sky88 wrote: »
    Ed is that you?

No, Ed is currently over in Bilbao HQ trying to get the board drunk on shots of tequilla. So far though, Ed is hammered and wearing a lampshade and only three members of the board have not gone home yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Craig Norwood tweeted that Herrara and friends flew into England yesterday, this guy takes official pictures for Man Utd., id be inclined to believe him....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

I'm sure you can't just rock up, hand a player X amount of millions and tell him to buy himself out of his contract without first having made some sort of bid to the players club. This bid rejection is most probably that and this in turn has led to United going down the buy out route. It'll be interesting to hear certain journalists take on things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I'm going down the route that Atletic Bilbao have released that statement to save face with their fans. Yes United made an offer, they don't want to sell so have rejected, however United may then go and trigger a release clause so they have no option but to allow United talk to Herrera. It's then up to him if he goes or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

It seems as if Bilbao want us to pay their tax on the sale of Herrera. So instead of 36M, we'll have to pay 36M + tax. I can imagine that Herrera isn't a happy boy this morning.

Kike Marin...

***warning Google translate**
    Ander Herrera on Monday called President Athletic, Josu Urrutia, to personally convey his decision to leave Manchester United. In addition, English club also contacted the maximum leader Atletico to let you know fichará midfielder. In fact, as has been told 'Vozpópuli', the United Urrutia offered to pay 40 million, the figure rising to clause Herrera from July 1, and thus (presumably) not having to deposit 36 in the Football League, as I had to Bayern Munich when he took Javi Martinez. However, the president of the Athletic remained inflexible.

Following the hint last summer, Manchester United has decided to sign with Ander Herrera, then reclosing an agreement with the player, something he denied at the time. In the absence of confirmation, Ander will commit to the Van Gaal set for the next four seasons and collected about three million euros each.

The midfielder's agent said that this time there is no reverse gear and another signing that crosses his path, as happened with Marouane Fellaini. Herrera, signed from Zaragoza, whose contract with Athletic until 2016, but has decided to leave Old Trafford club, interestingly in a season in which the Athletic will play the Champions League, at least its preliminary stage, and Manchester United not .

you lost me..

Tell us what more to do after unfollowing twitter accounts?

He was at Carrington yesterday and it was confirmed by almost all the local journos. Just because Athletic Bilbao rejected bid doesn't mean all that was reported was wrong.

By the looks of it we failed to agree on fee so went by releaes clause route which someone posted yesterday..

Iñigo Markinez @imarkinez
    Google translated.

In brief three related news Ander Herrera and his signing with Manchester @ ManUtd

News 1: Ander Herrera deposited on Monday LFP document with 36 million euros to disengage from the Athletic

News 2: There are problems. The LFP is studying the document because there seems to be "a technical problem". Are studying.

News 3: If everything can be solved could be presented Friday at Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

It's a pretty well known fact, it's part of the Spanish leagues rules that all players must have release clauses. I don't feel the need to do the Google work for you as it's not some far out claim or rumor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Craig Norwood tweeted that Herrara and friends flew into England yesterday, this guy takes official pictures for Man Utd., id be inclined to believe him....

The press in Bilbao believed that he travelled to Carrington yesterday and had a medical. Bilbao are d1cking around so we'll pay their tax.

I can see why no leaks came from our side as the deal looks like it's far from completed at the minute. I wouldn't be surprised if we pulled out at this stage if they mess us around again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I was reading that yesterday,he said Herrara stayed in London the night before and was travelling up to Manchester then,that got me wondering what mode of transport was he using,a donkey?

This is the tweet below,

Craig Norwood @CraigNorwood · 20h
    Ander Herrera flew into Northolt via private plane yesterday, staying in London last night before routing up to Manchester today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The way I see it, it is very possible that nothing has changed. the reality of the situation is that if we are going the release clause route, which is what was reported yesterday - then Bilbao can't reject it, only the LFP can. The release clause route is completely different to a normal transfer so if they have rejected a bid it only makes sense that it is a seperate, earlier, bid to sign the player - and the registering of documentation and depositing of the release clause at LFP was a reaction to that.

They also rejected the Munich bid for Javi Martinez

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Who is @imarkinez anyways and why do we believe his tweet that there are problems.

kryogen wrote: »
    They also rejected the Munich bid for Javi Martinez

THAT'S WHY I LKE TO HEAR KRYO

KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE

#LVGISKING #IRONTULIP #BELIEVE

HERRERA WOOOAOO HERRERA WOOOAOAAA

MagicIRL wrote: »
    THAT'S WHY I LKE TO HEAR KRYO

KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE

#LVGISKING #IRONTULIP #BELIEVE

HERRERA WOOOAOO HERRERA WOOOAOAAA

How many cups of coffee have you had this morning? :)

Not saying the deal will go through, just that rejecting bids for players is pretty standard from Bilbao when it comes to their best assets.

If we hear nothing more positive about before Sunday I would conclude this won't be happening mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I turned on SSN and was greeted by the yellow ticker about Herrera,this was my reaction.

tTyVIEQ.gif

They're holding things up because LvG is unveiling Herrera and Strootman (with bionic knees) together while he sits on a golden elephant screaming "**** you!" to the English media.

Sport Witness @Sport_Witness · 4m
    Would assume that Athletic rejecting the offer means they're forcing it down clause way. So they can say it was against their wishes. (1/2)

Sport Witness @Sport_Witness · 3m
    With clause at €36m wouldn't be odd for Manchester United to bid €36m first rather than enforce clause. Would have been quicker. (2/2)

@Sport_Witness That's spot on. They also want to keep all of the money and avoid paying the 4% to Zaragoza, so man utd might need to pay it.

I'm sure this transfer will happen. It's just a tricky game everyone is playing.

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

The rumoured buy-out clause? that sits alongside the rumour he was at Utd yesterday.

best thing to do now is whoever posted, tweeted this crap then unfollow.
    turn and negative into a positive and all that jazz.

There's no rumoured buyout clause . It is the clause Athletic confirmed when he signed for them in 2011.

http://www.athletic-club.net/web/main.asp?a=0&b=1&c=2&d=1000&berria=10420&idi=2
    Real Zaragoza SAD and Athletic Club have formalized their agreement concerning the transfer of the player Ander Herrera’s federation right from first to second division, to come into effect as of 1 July 2011.

With regards to the player himself the contract with Athletic Club has been formalized and will be in force from the 2011-2012 season to the 2015-2016 season both inclusive, as a professional footballer, he has a rescission clause of 36 million euros for the first three seasons and 40 million euros for the last two.

The three parties have expressed their satisfaction with the agreement reached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

There's just too much of a stink of Wesley Sneijder off this. I shall remain skeptical for the sake of my own sanity.

• Advertisement

BBC Sport ✔ @BBCSport
    Follow
    Manchester United confident of signing Athletic Bilbao midfielder Ander Herrera despite seeing a £29m bid rejected by the Spanish club #MUFC

Looks like Bilbao are just being tight about 4% tax on the deal.

There's just too much of a stink of Wesley Sneijder off this. I shall remain skeptical for the sake of my own sanity.

Mata and Big Dave will sort this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-athletic-bilbao-publicly-reject-29m-herrera-082241884--sow.html

Eurosport confirming the offer was turned down. 36 million is plenty for this lad , as much as I want to see him sign for Utd I wouldn't be too annoyed if Utd told them to go and f*** now. Fabregas was 27 million and proven , this lad is good but not proven paying over 40 million for him would be a touch insane.

Clubs are dragging Utd to the well because they now.

A. We are desperate need of new players.
    B. We have money to spend.

But 80 million on Shaw and Herrera , emmmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

zerks wrote: »
    BBC Sport ✔ @BBCSport
    Follow

They wont let him without squeezing every possible penny. Isn't it true that Bilbao can only sign Catalan players?

Schwiiing wrote: »
    They wont let him without squeezing every possible penny. Isn't it true that Bilbao can only sign Catalan players?

Basque.

They choose to do this it's not forced at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Whatever happens with this in the end..... WOODWARD OUT!

He's had a year to prepare this transfer and he's still let it turn into a circus...again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Part of me hopes Mexico put the Dutch out Sunday evening to Van Gaal can come to Manchester and sort out the squad. Far too much idle speculation driving lads mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Bilbao are notorious for being difficult to do business with. I think we will have Herrera, and they are just doing this to put off clubs who are looking to poach their other players.
    We should get the deal without further delay and wash our hands of them for good.

Schwiiing wrote: »

Basque and they are not forced, its a semi racist/semi admirable choice the club make (it also makes them the hoover when it comes to the smaller Basque clubs, they take the best for themselves, they do not like to be seen to negotiate, if you want their player you will be paying)

They do this, its how they operate, they squeeze you for as much as possible, just think of a more militant Spurs.

Nothing has really changed since yesterday imo, the rejection is SOP for Bilbao

BBC Sport ✔ @BBCSport
    Follow

Its not about them being tight, just that they don't want to negotiate and player has to buy out his contract before moving.

Anyways they will get 36 Million, so it's more of a pride thing I guess.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Could Bilbao be stalling till July?

• Advertisement

Tom Coast ‏@thcoast 1m
    According to @imarkinez, Herrera handed all the relevant documents to LFP yesterday. Athletic say bid was rejected this week, not today.

IMO this makes more sense.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Could Bilbao be stalling till July?

Possibly, just meet them in the middle imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Tom Coast ‏@thcoast 1m

IMO this makes more sense.

Who is this @imarkinez guy though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

kstand wrote: »
    Part of me hopes Mexico put the Dutch out Sunday evening to Van Gaal can come to Manchester and sort out the squad. Far too much idle speculation driving lads mad.

Yep as much as I'm enjoying watching the Dutch play the sooner the better Van Gaal is in Manchester.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

This is how Athletic work. You just have to look at the hoops Bayern had to jump through to get Martinez. AFAIK in the end Bayern deposited the money in Martinez account and he bought out his own contract. That's where the tax issues occur.

Also they made Llorente sit on the bench for a year because Juve wouldn't play ball.

Its not about them being tight, just that they don't want to negotiate and player has to buy out his contract before moving.

Anyways they will get 36 Million, so it's more of a pride thing I guess.

If Athletic accepted €36m offer then they have to pay 4% to Zaragoza. If Manchester United force a buyout then it's they who pay it.

"The situation depends on the player now. If he wants to leave Bilbao, Herrera can deposit €36m into the LFP and buy his freedom." [Marca]

Who is this @imarkinez guy though?

No idea.. Some Spanish journo I guess.

Athletic club is just playing games...

juanma velasco @ juanmavelascom 41m View translation
    Athletic has today rejected the offer by Herrera. He did Tuesday. Herrera will pay part of your pass to United. And he will soon

For this they replied..

Athletic Club Verified account
    @ AthleticClub
    @ juanmavelascom The @ AthleticClub not say "today" anywhere in your information.

Google translated..

So they mentioned they didn't say today, just this week and we heard news that Herrera was at Carrington yesterday. It's almost done..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

If Athletic accepted €36m offer then they have to pay 4% to Zaragoza. If Manchester United force a buyout then it's they who pay it.

"The situation depends on the player now. If he wants to leave Bilbao, Herrera can deposit €36m into the LFP and buy his freedom." [Marca]

The bigger problem is actually that if United were to give Herrera €36 million to pay his buy out clause (since to activate it the player pays it not the buying club), then he becomes liable for a massive amount of tax as he has in effect just became €36 million richer for a short period of time. He obviously doesn't want to pay this huge bill, and of course United don't want another €10-15 million on top of the €36 million to pay for him. IIRC Javi Martinez ended having to take pay cut to get his move as Bayern ended up paying Bilbao a few million extra over his release clause in order to avoid that route.

Too much logic for a football thread Giggsy. Get out.

Ok, back to work guys, let the panic resume.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement