Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

YES WE CAN!!!!

YES WE CAN!!!

YES WE CAN!!!

We will deliver this summer. Im telling you right now its going be faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantatsic

And YES HOLLAND CAN!

Only Mexico and either Costa Rica/Greece stopping them reaching a semi-final with probably Argentina.

Lots of exposure for LVG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Taok wrote: »
    And YES HOLLAND CAN!

Only Mexico and either Costa Rica/Greece stopping them reaching a semi-final with probably Argentina.

Lots of exposure for LVG!

Manchester United Holland are going to win the World Cup

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lukker- wrote: »
    Spurs had the fee already agreed.

Welcome to the transfer market if you think like that, to get any top player you are going to have to "overpay". The market along with revenue for football clubs has inflated so much in recent years that these values have become the reality.

For the price of Herrera, you could have had Hazard.

Overpaid?

Last time I checked £29m was less than £32m. Plus Hazards agent was paid a few million on top of the transfer fee which is why Utd walked away from that deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Plus Hazards agent was paid a few million on top of the transfer fee which is why Utd walked away from that deal.

You really seem to have the inside track on all this stuff. Do you have connections in the business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Zico wrote: »
    That's what any sane person would expect but yet here we are. Atletic have publicly rejected our bid.

So either Woodward didn't prepare the deal properly, despite having a year to do so or this latest public slap in the face for the club was anticipated as part of the deal and Woodward was unconcerned how it would afftect the clubs image with fans and sponsors.

WOODWARD OUT!
    drama queen. :D

jaysus lads calm down herrera deal will happen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Liverpool will be the ones to knock out of the top 4 if we want to get back in IMO, Suarez leaving would only be good for us but rumours of Sanchez and Pedro being involved would keep them very strong

It's a bit of a disaster for both teams missing out on top 4 next season, United two seasons in a row missing out, Liverpool would be back to square one with no champions league to offer players and a decrease in funds

It's going to be a tough season but I hope Van Gaal can pull it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Kind of an exaggeration, don't think Chelsea have over-paid for a player since Torres.

United overtook Chelsea a few seasons ago too on wages, and were around level last season too. I'd say United are well above Chelsea now with 2 of the biggest earners Lampard and Cole gone and Terry's wages halved from 160k a week to 80k.

You do realise about 3 of our highest earners (Rio, Vidic, Giggs) are gone as of the summer too.

Liverpool will be the ones to knock out of the top 4 if we want to get back in IMO, Suarez leaving would only be good for us but rumours of Sanchez and Pedro being involved would keep them very strong

It's a bit of a disaster for both teams missing out on top 4 next season, United two seasons in a row missing out, Liverpool would be back to square one with no champions league to offer players and a decrease in funds

**** negative thinking like that van gaal is gonna bring the glory days back.....

You really seem to have the inside track on all this stuff. Do you have connections in the business?

No. Simply follow the usual reliable journos on twitter, and believe the reliable posters on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Arsenal are just as vunerable, imo. I don't think we will catch Chelsea or City, but I think the battle for the other two spots will be fierce.

That sounds like the last argument of a desperate poster.

if the rumored 55 k per week for herrera is true this is great business by united imo

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

I suspect Van Gaal has zero doubt about his ability to finish top 4

**** negative thinking like that van gaal is gonna bring the glory days back.....

Just being realistic, it's a big task, we've been playing dreadful football at least the last 3 seasons and Van Gaal will have to implement a whole new style.

That and getting the new players to settle will probably mean we won't see instant results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You can see peoples point though. .

No, I don't.

There are pretty much zero available facts really. But there is some accurate speculation.

And the speculation is taht United placed a bid that matched the buyout clause, which was rejected, forcing the club to have to jump through hoops to help Herrera activate his buyout clause, himself.

Athletico are saving some face, from annoying fans by selling another top player, and forcing the player and our club to jump through red tape in order to put the deal through.

I would imagine, considering what happened last year, Woodward and his team were prepared for this eventuality, and had a contingency plan should Bilbao reject their offer and force them down this secondary path.

I would imagine this, because Woodward was exposed to an outragously bueracratic regime in La Liga last year, and a type of transfer process that exists nowhere else in European football.

For all his "failings" in the past, Woodward is a fast learner, echoed by those that worked with him. I would have great confidence that the club during the course of between last summer, and this summer, looked extensively into how the Spanish transfer dealings work, what pitfalls they hit last time, and how to avoid them going forward. I'd imagine there was a number of plans, strategies and fallback plans.

I was dealing this week with a critical data server that fell over. The situation exasperated by a company sending incorrect cables and parts for us to resolve the problem. This morning I sat in a meeting with my team, and we discussed what went wrong, the caveats and blocks we encountered, and will address this in a plan that we can use should the issue happen again.

That's me, a systems admin, working in an office in Dublin.

I would imagine, and imagine accurately, that a six figure executive at one of the biggest sporting brands IN THE WORLD, after coming embroiled in a process and issue he had no idea was so complex, would have had a little chinwag with his team, in order to make sure they never encounter that mess again in the future.

That is like problem solving 101, making sure you look back on the mistakes and problems you had, to try mitigate them in the future.

I'm not trying to be a dick about anything, but I sometimes have to Antonio Banderas lean back on my chair and bite me finger smirking, as people assume that a six figure salary Executive hasn't a ****ing breeze, about how to go about trying someting for the second time, after messing it up the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

No. Simply follow the usual reliable journos on twitter, and believe the reliable posters on here.

One of these days someone is going to show up on this board with an accurate and reliable source of information.

Damn it! I thought you were going to be the one.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

kryogen wrote: »
    No they werent, and thats irrelevant. irrelevant irrelevant yep. irrelevant.

I don't think you quite grasp what the term overpaying means judging by the above

Jaysus will you stop tagging stuff on to your post!

right, Chelsea transfer record since 2011/12 - Spent 87.8m recouped 24.6m
    2012/13 - Spent 92m recouped 20m
    2013/14 - Spent 109.66m recouped 56.6m

Genuinely think ye do ok profit and loss wise? Really?

Just checked the exact language

Ok, Meireles, bought for 12 sold for 8
    Lucas cost 5 million
    Romeu 4.5m
    Wallace 5million
    Ba 7.5 million
    Marin 6.5m
    Courtois 6million
    Van Ginkel 8 million
    Atsu 3.5million
    Salah 11million
    Then you have guys like Cuevas, Plascencia, Bamford who are all in and around 2 million a pop

Would you say they make up more then 5% of the transfers in the last 3 years?

United for the same period:

68m spent 1m recouped
    63m spent 11.9m recouped
    53m spent 15m recouped

All those players you listed will either go onto either feature in the team or be sold at a profit. One or two possibly may be sold at a loss.

Chelsea's net spend is about 30m more or so in the same period, yet I think Chelsea's squad was in a far healthier position last year.

United's inability to strengthen and spend wisely in the transfer market over the last 3 years severely handicapped them last season and is going to take more than 1 window to rectify.

At least when we've overspent, we've done it on quality (bar Torres).

Ashley Young 18m
    Phil Jones 18m
    Fellaini 27.5m
    Zaha 15m
    Bebe 7.5m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

United for the same period:

68m spent 1m recouped
    63m spent 11.9m recouped
    53m spent 15m recouped

All those players you listed will either go onto either feature in the team or be sold at a profit. One or two possibly may be sold at a loss.

Chelsea's net spend is about 30m more or so in the same period, yet I think Chelsea's squad was in a far healthier position last year.

United's inability to strengthen and spend wisely in the transfer market over the last 3 years severely handicapped them last season and is going to take more than 1 window to rectify.

At least when we've overspent, we've done it on quality (bar Torres).

Ashley Young 18m
    Phil Jones 18m
    Fellaini 27.5m
    Zaha 15m
    Bebe 7.5m

Yeah, but we've won more leagues than you in the last ten years. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be a dick about anything, but I sometimes have to Antonio Banderas lean back on my chair and bite me finger smirking, as people assume that a six figure salary Executive hasn't a ****ing breeze, about how to go about trying someting for the second time, after messing it up the first time.

No dummy, Ed Woodward doesn't have the capacity for learnding. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

TheDoc wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Arsenal are by no means a dead cert for 4 either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

One of these days someone is going to show up on this board with an accurate and reliable source of information.

Damn it! I thought you were going to be the one.:(

these lads are saying it's gospel, but it's the lowest of the low in terms of reliability. It's like the taxi driver in city centre telling you how his mate told him X is a done deal

I'd a cousin involved in Liverpools first team for a number of years,we have a pretty close relationship. Not once in his many years there, could he give me a SHRED of accurate, insider knowledge in terms of signings. First...team..player.

When the time came that he was called into the managers office and told he was being sold, he hadn't even got a whiff of that!

The point of this is that there is never, and I mean NEVER the 100% facts out there in a transfer window. Your looking at journalists and people with supposed inside knowledge. A transfer can change direction in a split second, and someone is left looking the arsehole.

Clubs could had been going hell for leather after someone, and when they don't come, say how they were never involved, as to save face and not admit they missed a target.

Bids could fly into clubs from other clubs all the time, and be private, and not announced by either club. Who knows WHO we have been chasing down the years. The thing is we will probably simply never know.

So looking for facts in the transfer market is looking for a lend of a fiver in Cavan, it's not looking likely for you. All we have is following the speculation and the gossip.

And lets not kid ourselves, we ****ing LOVE the rumour and gossip. Football fans and transfer windows are the same or worse as Woman with soaps, we just don't like to admit it : /

djPSB wrote: »

They've only finished top 4 the last 19 seasons but sure Liverpool are back in the big time now and that doesn't matter...

djPSB wrote: »

If I'd to make an early prediction based on how I expect things to shape up I'd go:

1. Chelsea
    2. Man City
    3. Arsenal
    4. Man Utd

But it's probably way too soon to even bother. Nobody could have predicted how last season panned out.

• **** negative thinking like that van gaal is gonna bring the glory days back.....
    Got to agree with Wooney, a rebuild won't provide instant results. Patience required next season. I don't mind as long as progress is visible and champions league qualification is achieved. Then build from that.

With a mix match of new and old players, settling them into a new system is going to take time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I was busy in work today and didn't get to check in here til a few minutes ago.... but before that I said, just for the laugh I'd check the United site with the expectation of seeing Herrerra confirmed...no such luck, then I read all about the delays here...ffs like...and we still haven't sold Cleverly, Valencia and Young.....

#MoyesOut #WoodwardOut #LVGOut #GiggsOut

In all seriousness though...I don't expect the signing to be confirmed til there is a new shirt to be paraded with him, when does that come out, next week some day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

James Ducker ‏@DuckerTheTimes 24s
    In other news .... Herrera to #MUFC on the verge of being done. Expected announcement in next 24 hours

Lets all take it easy here ladies

Hopefully.

James Ducker ‏@DuckerTheTimes 43s

In other news .... Herrera to #MUFC on the verge of being done. Expected announcement in next 24 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Lets all take it easy here ladies

Was just coming to post that, he's a solid enough dude.

Somewhere in Brazil..

59486.jpg

Karma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Not sure whether the Suarez ban is good for United or not. I was fully expecting him to be playing in Spain next season but it looks like he'll be back hammering in goals in November for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

GSPfan wrote: »
    Not sure whether the Suarez ban is good for United or not. I was fully expecting him to be playing in Spain next season but it looks like he'll be back hammering in goals in November for them.

I expect him to appeal and either have the 4 months quashed or reduced to 2 months, taking away most the impact on the club season; so I don't personally think it will effect a potential sale. If they were still interested this morning, they will still be interested now.

I expect him to appeal and either have the 4 months quashed or reduced to 2 months, taking away most the impact on the club season; so I don't personally think it will effect a potential sale. If they were still interested this morning, they will still be interested now.

I think the same, he'll get the 4 months reduced or quashed. Although it would be hilarious if they doubled it on appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Liverpool will sue suarez, he will refuse to return to come back to England, its all going to get very messy for Liverpool and I cant wait for it :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

bangkok wrote: »
    Liverpool will sue suarez, he will refuse to return to come back to England, its all going to get very messy for Liverpool and I cant wait for it :D:D

Not a hope, they will want to keep him as he is clearly their best player.

As a United fan Im unsure how this will effect them but anything that gets Suarez off the pitch for a while is good or even away to Spain would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

GSPfan wrote: »

FIFA have now confirmed that the ban will not prevent a transfer.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/26/world-cup-2014-day-15-live

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Rickie Lambert is absolutely delighted with the news!!

• Somewhere in Brazil..

59486.jpg

Karma.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpzaBkFAtYYmLaOrDpFJBKLVarZQGECCg2-Xc6mpxQHHvi379ZDg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Smashing. Alas we should concentrate on rebuilding our own squad and not worry about Liverpools falling apart. We have alot of work to be done to make sure we get back into the UCL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

And more
    James Ducker ‏@DuckerTheTimes 50s
    Told Herrera will sign a four year contract at #MUFC with option of a 5th year

200_s.gif

Yeah but it will prevent a transfer in the sense that, who's going to pay out the arse to buy him this summer when he'll miss >2 months of the season? You'd just wait until January surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

bangkok wrote: »

Liverpool are fcuked, if they say anything to him he will eat them.:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Yeah but it will prevent a transfer in the sense that, who's going to pay out the arse to buy him this summer when he'll miss >2 months of the season? You'd just wait until January surely.

Real Madrid definitely would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Not a hope, they will want to keep him as he is clearly their best player.

As a United fan Im unsure how this will effect them but anything that gets Suarez off the pitch for a while is good or even away to Spain would be great.

effects them hugely... id say there is massive pressure on the owners now to sell him from the sponsors, the manager probably doesn't want to sell him but his hand will be forced, he in turn will need to replace 30 goals in the team, suarez transfer fee will probably be 10m less,now as well as ban ends at the end of October but he cannot even train until then so prob wont even see him back playing until start of December, will a club be will to spend even 50m on a player who will not be fit??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

knock down price maybe. its not as if he is recovering from injury

I agree with Time penalties spanning all games (club and international) for violent conduct like rugby (even though i served a long ban under it)

but Fifa shouldnt be making the rules up as they go along

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Hate to be a Pool fan now. Suarez really hasn't learned his lesson. This is the third time he's let the club down since he signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Am i lost here, had to check i was in the right thread. He who must not be mentioned has no business being talked about here. Plenty of threads for that

Hopefully Herrera will be confirmed asap and we get focused on the next one in. Exciting times ahead

KH25 wrote: »
    Hate to be a Pool fan now. Suarez really hasn't learned his lesson. This is the third time he's let the club down since he signed.

They'll call him misunderstood, say the world doesn't know Luis, that we're the ones who are wrong... until they sell him and turn around and say he was a liability and thanks but good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

ericzeking wrote: »
    ...and we still haven't sold Cleverly, Valencia and Young.....

Does anybody want to break the news to him about Valencia...Be gentle with him

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement