Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

10477958_10154256871495702_1233660320855997602_n.jpg

Manchester United have sent this inscribed token of their appreciation to Bohemians to acknowledge our supporters' efforts in cleaning the vandalism on the Liam Whelan Bridge in April.

Manchester United vice-chairman Ed Woodward thanked the Bohs fans sincerely for what he described as "this act of kindness and solidarity in football."

A Cabra man and Ireland international, Whelan was one of 21 people killed in the 1958 Munich Air Disaster as Manchester United made a refuelling stop en route home from a European Cup tie in Belgrade.

He is buried in Glasnevin Cemetery, while the railway bridge at Fassaugh Road in Cabra was renamed in his honour in 2006. Both are just a short walk from Dalymount Park.

Liam’s brother Christy is a long-time Bohs fan and is still a regular at Dalyer. Christy’s grandsons Donal and Cathal are also dedicated supporters of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

brinty wrote: »
    And we've a winner for the first complaint about his signing

In fairness I thought it odd too, but then quickly assumed its cause Woodward is busy working ;) read above for my thoughts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

And we've a winner for the first complaint about his signing

:confused:

How in the world could that be construed as a complaint!?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Looking forward to the matches in the US next season, Herrera the first of many new faces.

It feels very positive this summer transfer season compared to last season, when nothing happened until literally the last minute and even that was underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Ander wasn't long changing his twitter account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Hopefully this thread will be readable again now that ye won't be complaining about how 'Our rivals get their signings done before the World Cup and we'll still have nothing concrete done by August' etc.
    Few more should follow now, will be an interesting few weeks

RobertKK wrote: »
    Looking forward to the matches in the US next season, Herrera the first of many new faces.

It feels very positive this summer transfer season compared to last season, when nothing happened until literally the last minute and even that was underwhelming.

When does it close? August or September, I always mix it up.

But agree it's peculiar having such a big singing so early, and so much time left to go in the window. It will definitly be a sigh of relief for everyone.

World cup has been a nice distraction at the same time, so much going on there in terms of good matches etc. that is nearly shields away what would be otherwise serious media focus on what and how we are doing in the transfer window.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

The Telegraph are still spouting shíte about the transfer. You'd think at this stage they would get the facts right.
    Manchester United have signed Spanish midfielder Ander Herrera after meeting the buy-out clause in his Athletic Bilbao contract.

United had a bid of £28.85million for the 24-year-old rejected earlier on Thursday but an improved, though undisclosed, offer was enough to secure his signature.

TheDoc wrote: »

August 31st if it's a working day, otherwise the first working day thereafter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

:confused:

How in the world could that be construed as a complaint!?

Only joking Maximus...

;)
    One...

inRsHYd.jpg

Only joking Maximus...

I HAVE NO SENSE OF HUMOUR!

:o

• Don't care I'm posting this again..it's like he's swimming his way to my heart. Look at Robben in the back. Get him next.

We signed a player!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

LvG9.gif

But agree it's peculiar having such a big singing so early, and so much time left to go in the window. It will definitly be a sigh of relief for everyone.

World cup has been a nice distraction at the same time, so much going on there in terms of good matches etc. that is nearly shields away what would be otherwise serious media focus on what and how we are doing in the transfer window.

end of August/ start of September..see better informed poster above.
    Yeah, it is a relief that real change is happening, can't but help feel good times are ahead.

The world cup has been a blessing after last season...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

;)

inRsHYd.jpg

Does he look a bit like...

the-brain.jpeg

• Advertisement

;)

inRsHYd.jpg

Who's he pointing at going your next....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Delighted we signed a good looking midfielder. However, I dont think its time for dancing and celebrating gifs yet. Its early days. We dont know if he can settle into the squad yet and we dont know who else if any one else will be signed.

Im not getting my hopes up but this is a huge positive. Good luck Ander

A bit of chatter that United will bid for Vidal, but Real Madrid are interested too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

RobertKK wrote: »
    A bit of chatter that United will bid for Vidal, but Real Madrid are interested too.

Best signing United could make.

Lads how much did ye pay for Herrera?

• beakerjoe wrote: »
    Delighted we signed a good looking midfielder. However, I dont think its time for dancing and celebrating gifs yet. Its early days. We dont know if he can settle into the squad yet and we dont know who else if any one else will be signed.

Im not getting my hopes up but this is a huge positive. Good luck Ander
    It's a positive celebration also because of the fact that the transfer deal was taken care of smoothly this time around and not the nonsense that was last summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

€36mill

The buyout clause of €36 million.

NTMK wrote: »
    €36mill

High enough fee but when clubs know you have money and are looking for a midfielder, you'll always have to pay over the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Well done to all involved in getting the deal signed and sealed(Woodward, Futureguy etc...) . I think we have a very tidy player in Herrera. Another centre midfielder now with a few more reinforcements and we will be in a very healthy position heading into next season

Also, without referencing it directly, the nasty business and subsequent ban that has transpired over in Brazil can only be a good thing for our top 4 aspirations.

What a thoroughly pleasant day it has been for Manchester United :)

High enough fee but when clubs know you have money and are looking for a midfielder, you'll always have to pay over the odds.

Bilbao dont sell players herrera is the second player since 2010 to be sold after martinez for a fee and they were both buy-out clauses

so we have to pay over the odds but i dont care about the cost tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

A LB , CB and another midfielder (or 2 hopefully!) and we ll be in a very strong position. I still wouldnt be expecting miracles straight away because with LVG not joining up for another few weeks and the WC players having a longer break he wont have much time to implement a new philosophy. 2015/16 could be a very exciting season with 12 months of LVG's influence

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

NTMK wrote: »
    €36mill

Plus taxes so it could be a good bit more than that.

I haven't watched enough of him to say what sort of value he represents, but it sounds like a fairly inflated fee. Still very happy to be signing players in the positions we need though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Number 8 on his twitter?? Was that his number in Spain too?

I can't wait till we sign enough midfielders that we end up selling our failed midfielders to other teams.
    I will say good riddance to the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Januzaj starts for Belgium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

BrEmHDjIgAApTyD.jpg
    David De Gea ‏@D_DeGea 1m
    Welcome my friend @ManUtd: Ander Herrera is a Red! #mufc

Pro. F wrote: »

I haven't watched enough of him to say what sort of value he represents, but it sounds like a fairly inflated fee. Still very happy to be signing players in the positions we need though.

its inflated but hes a decent contender for the spanish team now it looks like that it will be overhauled and if the stories about him taking a pay cut to make the deal happen then he seems to have the desire to succeed at the club.

in a world where david luiz is worth £50mill herrera isnt too badly priced

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Number 8 on his twitter?? Was that his number in Spain too?

14 was his number IIRC.

Blatter wrote: »
    Januzaj starts for Belgium.

Have you the full team by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Would love to see us bring another midfielder in along with a CB, LB and a winger.

I don't think Luke Shaw is worth £40M but if the club can afford it, and we can, then I don't see what the problem is. It's better than squandering the money on unnecessary loan repayments, executive salaries etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

TheTownie wrote: »
    14 was his number IIRC.

21 was his number at athletic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Have you the full team by any chance?

Courtois; Vanden Borre, Van Buyten, Lombaerts, Vertonghen, Fellaini, Defour, Dembélé; Mertens, Mirallas, Januzaj.

14 was his number IIRC.

his number was 21 for bilbao and 8 for zaragoza

• Pro. F wrote: »

It's still Euros lets round it off @ 40 million so it's not that bad. I have been watching him since Moyes had him on the radar. Just not sure exactly where he will fit in yet but he is talented. All unknown until more players come in and leave and we actually get a good idea what Van Gaal's tactical plans are for the team.

I think I have excepted the fact we are going to have to pay over the norm this season.

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    21 was his number at athletic.

Yep. I recalled wrong. :D

• BrEmHDjIgAApTyD.jpg
    I'm waiting for Mata to join in. It's great to have 3 Spanish players in the team especially when Spain are now in a transitional period and these are the guys coming into the international team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

14 was his number IIRC.

I thought he was #21. Pretty sure he was 21 whenever i seen him last year

Edit: Must check recent posts after hiding screen from Boss :pac:

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm waiting for Mata to join in. It's great to have 3 Spanish players in the team especially when Spain are now in a transitional period and these are the guys coming into the international team.

Mata posted it too..
    Ander is a red or something
    can't link my twitter to it!!

Mata posted it too..
    Ander is a red or something
    can't link my twitter to it!!

Juan Mata García @juanmata8 ·
    @ManUtd: Ander Herrera is a Red! #mufc pic.twitter.com/g96yiVzSFY” Bienvenido crack! Welcome 🔝!!

Hard to believe de Gea is the younger one looking at this photo

Bq5TfgnIAAAurcy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Its not much more than what Real paid for illarramendi so I don't mind the fee, its good to see the club get in and pay the money needed to get the player like many called for last season when Bayern were doing it with Gotze.

Delighted with the signing as well. A talented midfielder who can play in a two or three and someone who obviously wanted to play for Manchester United.

Van Gaal busy signing Zico today.

BrEoEnYIUAADnj5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Van Gaal busy signing Zico today.

BrEoEnYIUAADnj5.jpg

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

ElChe32 wrote: »
    BrEa1gUIcAAhdSZ.jpg:large

maybe it's the tears of joy from signing a midfielder, but does anyone else think he looks a bit like Scholes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,648 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ElChe32 wrote: »
    BrEa1gUIcAAhdSZ.jpg:large

He looks a bitter

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement