Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Brilliant news if Shaw is confirmed, just a question though for anyone that has seen a lot of him. When Spurs bought Bale i remember him starting out at full back, can anyone see anything in Shaw that suggests he may move out into a wing position in midfield.

Great credit due to Moyes on these deals as i'm convinced the bulk of them were in place in his tenure. Exciting times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Billy86 wrote: »
    david-de-gea-save-620x299.jpg

Are you arguing that your £20+m keeper was a bargain? Because he wasn't. He was a good signing, and an excellent player, but if you think that's what a bargain is you have no understanding of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

10513291_10152266148447746_1004181747171895502_n.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

One of my most unproductive days ever in work. Sitting here in full view of everyone following this joy filled thread all day :D:D My F5 key is starting to wear out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Craig Norwood ‏@CraigNorwood 1m
    Luke Shaw admits he wanted the deal to be sorted before the World Cup, but more than happy to be a Manchester United player now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Cannot wait for the preseason tour now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

These feelings I have...I don't understand them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Is Shaw the most expensive left back ever now? Pretty sure Real paid less for Coentrao

Lord TSC wrote: »

Really hope i can make the galaxy game now!

So we've signed paddy Jackson and Ryan gosling look a likes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Are you arguing that your £20+m keeper was a bargain? Because he wasn't. He was a good signing, and an excellent player, but if you think that's what a bargain is you have no understanding of money.
    DeGea was an absolute bargain in a world where David Luiz is worth 50million - he will be between those posts for years to come and he just keeps getting better and better... Also he's our main man for signing Spanish players :)

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Valid opinion and no one will know until his career is over whether or not the move works but my opinion is i'd rather spend 30 million on a left back with huge potential and under 20 than buy a short term fix of a 27-28 year old left back at 15-20 million .

You're overestimating the cost of a good left back there by a large margin.

£15-20m would probably get you a guaranteed top class left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A ****ing great day!!!!!!

Wait till number 3 is announced now baby!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Whether or not it is a good deal is all based on opinions. Personally considering before Southampton were asking Chelsea and Man United for 40-45 million I think it was a decent deal.

27 million (optional 3 depending on success) for a 4 year contract with the option of another year seems like good business. He has been one of the standout left backs of the last year and at a young age has huge potential.

Yes it's risky basing off potential but if you didn't take these risks you wouldn't have many standout players. Hopefully he goes on to have a great career with United and show the deal was good.

A ****ing great day!!!!!!

Wait till number 3 is announced now baby!!!!
    C'mon Kew who will it be? :p

irishfeen wrote: »
    DeGea was an absolute bargain - he will be between those posts for years to come and he just keeps getting better and better... Also he's our man man for signing Spanish players :)

Again, you don't seem to understand the English word "bargain". It doesn't mean "excellent footballer". De Gea is the second, but not the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

10501757_10202713785302272_1571111165791825619_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Brilliant news if Shaw is confirmed, just a question though for anyone that has seen a lot of him. When Spurs bought Bale i remember him starting out at full back, can anyone see anything in Shaw that suggests he may move out into a wing position in midfield.

Great credit due to Moyes on these deals as i'm convinced the bulk of them were in place in his tenure. Exciting times
    Why do people keep making this assumption? Am I missing something on this? Moyes was so dead set on Leighton Baines and nothing but Leighton Baines that when given the option of Coentrao or nothing (when Everton said they would not sell him, or set €50mn as the price or something to that effect)...he basically chose nothing, blindly chasing Baines to the death while Madrid were trying to throw Coentrao at us. And Baines wasn't/isn't even a top tier FB.

A lot of talk is that he was the guy who pulled the plug on Herrera last season, too.

I just don't see why a good few people are assuming this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

C'mon Kew who will it be? :p

dont care..

it will be good though.

Ed is the man, the legend, the king.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

de Gea

Jones---Hummels----Evans

Rafael
    Shaw

Pogba
    Herrera

Mata................................

RVP
    Rooney

drooooooooooooooollllllllllllll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Team shaping up nicely for next season. This was always gonna be a big spending summer and it's nice to see a couple of signings confirmed. Another midfielder is a must you would think. Maybe one midfielder and one central defender incoming to take the spending over the €100m mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I wouldn't be too sure these days, we've seen in the last while prices rising a lot. Considering some defenders have gone for a lot more, Luiz and Silva 40-50 million for example.

Also remember Man City bought Lescott for 28 million back in 2009, Coentrao and Pepe went for the 30-35 million mark too and don't forget Alves was 35-40 million too.

And we bought Ferdinand for similar money of near 30 million and at the time people questioned that.

dont care..

it will be good though.

Ed is the man, the legend, the king.
    Haha some of yous doubted ED ... even in my hardest Moyes supporting times I always knew he would come good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

GIF - CENTRAL.

They have made my day, particularly the Brad Pitt one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Another central midfielder, a centre half and a winger are surely still to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

To Ed!

a-toast.gif

He absolutely was, set us up to have one of the best keepers in the world for the next 15 plus years. If you track average fees, 30mn today translates to about 10mn in 2002, just after Juve spent €51mn(!) on Buffon. You will not find a Juve fan in the world who is unhappy with the value for money they got in that transfer. That is way, way, way more than we paid for DDG in relative terms.

If you buy a 27 year old fullback for 15mn today, you need to replace him in five years. With the ever inflating prices, a top end FB at that stage will likely cost over 20mn, and again in five more years for closer to 25-30mn. The total cost there comes to 60mn+ to cover you for the same 15 years Shaw will if he is as good as we think he is (and likewise you are taking a risk of all three of those guys) And that is why we pay our scouts top dollar, and put faith in them accordingly.

Long term, high end stability is almost impossible to put a price on in the modern game. If you think 50mn for 15 years of top, top end play at LB & GK is not good value then you really have a poor understanding of the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lord TSC wrote: »

You got signed as well?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Anchorman.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

glued wrote: »
    Another central midfielder, a centre half and a winger are surely still to come.

A center half tes, but i wouldnt be so sure that we'l sign a winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Haha some of yous doubted ED ... even in my hardest Moyes supporting times I always knew he would come good :)

You think it was an achievement buying a player for his buyout clause fee and paying £30m for an 18 year old?

He's a year late on what he's delivered so far in my opinion so I'll need to see a lot more before I join in the back slapping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I keep feeling like I've clicked in to the wrong thread. Signings, optimism, excitement, GIFs? What is this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I keep feeling like I've clicked in to the wrong thread. Signings, optimism, excitement, GIFs? What is this?

IT'S THE MANCHESTER UNITER SUPER HAPPY FUN TIMES THREAD 2014/15 :D:):cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

The bridge everyone else is taking to the title next season..

ZziUPD7.gif

:p
    In no way do I think we can win the league.

Yeah Shaw signed sealed delivered.

XQEBHFD.gif

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too sure these days, we've seen in the last while prices rising a lot. Considering some defenders have gone for a lot more, Luiz and Silva 40-50 million for example.

Also remember Man City bought Lescott for 28 million back in 2009, Coentrao and Pepe went for the 30-35 million mark too and don't forget Alves was 35-40 million too.

And we bought Ferdinand for similar money of near 30 million and at the time people questioned that.
    I think you're mixing your Euros and pounds up there a fair bit.

Alves was €32.5 million, Pepe €30 million, Coentrao €30 million, Lescott £22 million, all according to Wikipedia.

All were a good bit less risky than Shaw as signings, too. And Lescott was bought in the "pay whatever they ask" phase at the Etihad.

Thiago Silva was one of the best defenders in the world and cost €42 million according to Wikipedia, which is about £34 million. And he was bought in PSGs period of crazy spending. I've no idea what they were doing with the Luiz deal.

I'm not saying Shaw won't work out, by the way. I expect he'll be a very good player for you. I'm just pointing out that by any measure you could concieve it was an extraordinarily expensive buy, and almost unarguably overpriced.

I'm going to drop this now before it goes in circles, as I've really spelled out what I mean quite clearly and can't really add much more.

• Advertisement

Coentrao, approx 30mn
    Sergio Ramos approx 27mn
    Dani Alves approx 30mn
    Glen bloody Johnson 17.5mn sterling

van-Gaal.gif

"No, you aresh in the rishe plache. Thish ish the Manchestersh United Superthreadsh on Boardsh.ie. Welcomesh."

This was at Psv pre season training today .
    VsAXIjH.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Delighted with both signings so far even if they are both somewhat gambles. Hopefully a top class cb to follow soon. I'd be surprised if we see any more cm signings now though, I'd say we'll make the rumoured move for Strootman in January instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I hope the Ander Herrera talk is just rumour. I'll be gutted if he leaves Bilbao, especially as he will get Champion's league football if he stays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

eagle eye wrote: »
    I hope the Ander Herrera talk is just rumour. I'll be gutted if he leaves Bilbao, especially as he will get Champion's league football if he stays.

You might wanna sit down......

He's already signed for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

eh :confused: who wants to tell him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Ander-Herrera-anderherrera8-on-Twitter-604x345.png

6cbf74bc.jpg

Oh, God. I knew we'd have to have this talk one day. Listen champ, when a player and a club fall in love...

Billy86 wrote: »
    He absolutely was, set us up to have one of the best keepers in the world for the next 15 plus years. If you track average fees, 30mn today translates to about 10mn in 2002, just after Juve spent €51mn(!) on Buffon. You will not find a Juve fan in the world who is unhappy with the value for money they got in that transfer. That is way, way, way more than we paid for DDG in relative terms.

If you buy a 27 year old fullback for 15mn today, you need to replace him in five years. With the ever inflating prices, a top end FB at that stage will likely cost over 20mn, and again in five more years for closer to 25-30mn. The total cost there comes to 60mn+ to cover you for the same 15 years Shaw will if he is as good as we think he is (and likewise you are taking a risk of all three of those guys) And that is why we pay our scouts top dollar, and put faith in them accordingly.

Long term, high end stability is almost impossible to put a price on in the modern game. If you think 50mn for 15 years of top, top end play at LB & GK is not good value then you really have a poor understanding of the market.

You clearly have no understanding of the time value of money. €1 now is not equivalent to €1 in 5 years time. Better to think of it as 1% of your income now being interchangeable with 1% of your income in 5 years time, in a very inflationary world like professional football (though obviously that simplifies it to much too).

The rest of your points I've already addressed, really, so this will be my (for real this time :) ) last post on this topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Herrerashaw!

7TGQEyv.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Sarcasm*... No?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

SAF said "There's no value in the market".

Ed be like.....

throwing+money+in+the+air.jpg

mayweather-money.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement