Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

eagle eye wrote: »
    I hope the Ander Herrera talk is just rumour. I'll be gutted if he leaves Bilbao, especially as he will get Champion's league football if he stays.
    MhiId0A.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

TheDoc wrote: »
    If it was as simple as playing him for a few games and he would be back at that blistering form, I think we would see that.

Well there is one sure fire way to find out, and in a world where Antonio Valencia plays 30 games a season its quite mind-boggling that Nani isn't at least given the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I think you're mixing your Euros and pounds up there a fair bit.

Alves was €32.5 million, Pepe €30 million, Coentrao €30 million, Lescott £22 million, all according to Wikipedia.

All were a good bit less risky than Shaw as signings, too. And Lescott was bought in the "pay whatever they ask" phase at the Etihad.

Thiago Silva was one of the best defenders in the world and cost €42 million according to Wikipedia, which is about £34 million. And he was bought in PSGs period of crazy spending. I've no idea what they were doing with the Luiz deal.

I'm not saying Shaw won't work out, by the way. I expect he'll be a very good player for you. I'm just pointing out that by any measure you could concieve it was an extraordinarily expensive buy, and almost unarguably overpriced.

I'm going to drop this now before it goes in circles, as I've really spelled out what I mean quite clearly and can't really add much more.

Just to clarify the prices I was stating were Euros, Alves went for €35.5 million when you add in the bonus that clubs receive if they do well, Pepe and Coentrao were both within in €30-35 million that I said, and Ferdinand cost rose a lot because of his success and the deal which left him at something €45 million.

But yeah we both have difference of opinions about it no point going any further.

Inglorious-Bastards.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

He'll stay with you for 3 years and then sign for his boyhood dream club

Luke Shaw: "I believe English players should only have one target and that's to play for ManUtd, this is the biggest club"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Just to clarify the prices I was stating were Euros, Alves went for €35.5 million when you add in the bonus that clubs receive if they do well, Pepe and Coentrao were both within in €30-35 million that I said, and Ferdinand cost rose a lot because of his success and the deal which left him at something €45 million.

But yeah we both have difference of opinions about it no point going any further.

He supports a selling club, his idea of value is never going mesh with ours. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

eagle eye wrote: »
    I hope the Ander Herrera talk is just rumour. I'll be gutted if he leaves Bilbao, especially as he will get Champion's league football if he stays.

80863-Tom-Cruise-laughing-gif-Imgur-BzbT.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Mars Bar but seriously be thinking she travelled through a gateway to another dimension while she was on that plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I didn't think it was done yet, was hoping against hope that it wasn't true. Sadly he has signed for United. They've gotten a great one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

You clearly have no understanding of the time value of money. €1 now is not equivalent to €1 in 5 years time. Better to think of it as 1% of your income now being interchangeable with 1% of your income in 5 years time, in a very inflationary world like professional football (though obviously that simplifies it to much too).

The rest of your points I've already addressed, really, so this will be my (for real this time :) ) last post on this topic.

You're wasting your time trying to talk sense right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I think you're mixing your Euros and pounds up there a fair bit.

Alves was €32.5 million, Pepe €30 million, Coentrao €30 million, Lescott £22 million, all according to Wikipedia.

All were a good bit less risky than Shaw as signings, too. And Lescott was bought in the "pay whatever they ask" phase at the Etihad.

Thiago Silva was one of the best defenders in the world and cost €42 million according to Wikipedia, which is about £34 million. And he was bought in PSGs period of crazy spending. I've no idea what they were doing with the Luiz deal.

I'm not saying Shaw won't work out, by the way. I expect he'll be a very good player for you. I'm just pointing out that by any measure you could concieve it was an extraordinarily expensive buy, and almost unarguably overpriced.

I'm going to drop this now before it goes in circles, as I've really spelled out what I mean quite clearly and can't really add much more.
    You are completely ignoring time again though. Thiago Silva turned 27 early in the season he signed for PSG. David Luiz is 27 now. Dani Alves was 26 when he signed for Barca. Pepe was 24 when he signed for Madrid.

Absolute best case scenario, the maximum time that any of several defenders would be of use for would be about 7 years, half of Shaw's remain ing time, when they signed him (9 or 10 years for Pepe). If Shaw is good enough is something we pay our scouts to ascertain. Chelsea do likewise. Both were extremely excited by him, so I'll take a hunch that they are onto something.

Markets are also further inflated from where they were when Alves or Pepe were signed, and more so again from when Ramos was signed.

Who do you think would have been a better option and at what price, out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Zico wrote: »
    You're wasting your time trying to talk sense right now.

He's basically walked in to this and tried to start a serious conversation:

tumblr_lyd55ixgpv1qfpwsbo1_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

This is how I see Ed Woodward in the Boardroom today

aLKZqXP_460sa_v1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Manchester United ‏@ManUtd 1m
    Tune in to #MUTV at 16:00 and 18:30 BST to watch @LukeShaw3's vert first interview as an #mufc player.

BrJPG3CIIAAXPEy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

My grandad died this morning, this thread keeps cheering me up :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You clearly have no understanding of the time value of money. €1 now is not equivalent to €1 in 5 years time. Better to think of it as 1% of your income now being interchangeable with 1% of your income in 5 years time, in a very inflationary world like professional football (though obviously that simplifies it to much too).

The rest of your points I've already addressed, really, so this will be my (for real this time :) ) last post on this topic.
    And all those figures continue to rise with time also, if the last twenty plus years have been anything to go by. One of my main points was actually that €1 now is not the equivalent to €1 in five years. I don't exactly see football as a bubble that is ready to burst, 30mn for 15 years is better value than 30mn for 7 years no matter what way you try to cut it, and the real gamble lies in if he will be able to live up to the hype/potential as De Gea has. Which, again, is why we pay our scouts good money to do what they do.

Good day so. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

IvySlayer wrote: »

My deepest condolences for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Coentrao was apparently available to us for a third of that fee, and he's in his mid twenties so he's still young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

That's terrible. Really sorry to hear that man.

Coentrao was apparently available to us for a third of that fee, and he's in his mid twenties so he's still young.

7 years older or so, but can't see Real Madrid selling him for €10million or less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

He's really not that great though, Real way overpaid for him. Shaw has the potential to be a far better left back and probably already is. Coentrao is defensively suspect to say the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Condolences on your loss man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

L.Shaw: "I never really considered Chelsea. My heart was always set on a move to United. They are the biggest club in the world." #MUFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Wow im so over the moon with Shaw. What a outstanding talent we have

Last price I read for him was Real Madrid wanted £22 million, but he was always looked out as a back up plan for if we didn't get Shaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Headshot wrote: »
    Wow im so over the moon with Shaw. What a outstanding talent we have
    tumblr_inline_msubl8ugy31qz4rgp.gif

With all this talk about signings I started to forget with don't have a back room staff yet. Who do people think Van Gaal and Giggs will add? Any room still for Phil Neville, think the idea of Scholes is gone now after the things he has been saying for PaddyPower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

DDG already one of the best keepers in the world.

Rafael already has shown two seasons ago he is a very good rb. I expect him to flourish under LVG and improve.

Shaw only 18 looks like a potential world class player.

Evans has shown the past two seasons he can be a first team starter.

Smalling and Jones look to have potential it's a big season for both.

Really is looking very good for the future at the back anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Adamocovic wrote: »
    With all this talk about signings I started to forget with don't have a back room staff yet. Who do people think Van Gaal and Giggs will add? Any room still for Phil Neville, think the idea of Scholes is gone now after the things he has been saying for PaddyPower.

He does have a back room staff. It was announced on the day he was unveiled that he's bringing Frans Hoek (Dutch national team Gk coach) and Marcel Bout (match analyst from his AZ and Bayern days) with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Sorry to hear that. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

image_zps006597e3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Lads, any one seen the Ed haterz?

Where is Homey Jay on this joyous occasion?

h8trz r motiv8trz

ManUtd Stuff ‏@ManUtdStuff 4m
    United & Feyenoord have reached an agreement for the transfer of Stefan De Vrij, who is in the Dutch squad with Van Gaal right now. [men]

Ah god, I need to sit down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Nuts102 wrote: »
    DDG already one of the best keepers in the world.

Rafael already has shown two seasons ago he is a very good rb. I expect him to flourish under LVG and improve.

Shaw only 18 looks like a potential world class player.

Evans has shown the past two seasons he can be a first team starter.

Smalling and Jones look to have potential it's a big season for both.

Really is looking very good for the future at the back anyway.

We can all see that Rafael has the ability and talent but his discipline is questionable. The main problem with him is his fitness, honestly it's ridiculous at this stage how injury prone the lad is. Ideally I'd like a right back bought in after another CM and winger as competition/back up as playing Smalling and Jones there has hampered their development. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was in mind when giving Valencia a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That gif with Daniel Levy and Harry Redknapp gif of throwing the money around to LVG and Eddie

SOMEONE WITH SKILLS MAKE IT HAPPEN

Ah god, I need to sit down

Would'nt bother with it. Doesn't even sound like a legit account!

He does have a back room staff. It was announced on the day he was unveiled that he's bringing Frans Hoek (Dutch national team Gk coach) and Marcel Bout (match analyst from his AZ and Bayern days) with him.

Yeah he has the assistant coach and goalkeeping coach (Giggs too) but I was talking more about the other roles, minor in the first team and youths too. More so what will happen to the class of 92. Sorry for not clarifying.

There was speculation that he would be changing them but today I heard Butt will more than likely be brought back in charge at the Youth Academy but they are still unsure whether Phil Neville will be given a role in the Youths or even a minor coaching role in the first team. It's pretty much confirmed Scholes won't have any role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

sorry to hear that Ivy mate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I just want to see them play.

I still have the memories of last season in my head. Looking at the team selection before a game thinking "Yeah, this team should win comfortably" and then watching the horror unfold.

That won't go away until I've seen this team in action playing attractive attacking football again and scaring the crap out of visitors to OT.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Would'nt bother with it. Doesn't even sound like a legit account!

It's another ITK account. Names the MEN as source. There isn't anything on the MEN site about it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Zico wrote: »
    I just want to see them play.

I still have the memories of last season in my head. Looking at the team selection before a game thinking "Yeah, this team should win comfortably" and then watching the horror unfold.

That won't go away until I've seen this team in action playing attractive attacking football again and scaring the crap out of visitors to OT.

Pre-season games will be class in July!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Condolences Ivy, moments like that put things in persepctive

Welcome back brinty ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Welcome back brinty ;)

Cheers Magic, its been a while, keeping the nose clean for now..
    I see our friend is keeping quiet!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Terrible new Ivy, football pales into insignificance on days like today.

It's another ITK account. Names the MEN as source. There isn't anything on the MEN site about it though.

Wouldn't really say ITK. They just tweet all news, transfers, rumours, line ups for United. Don't claim to know anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

I won concert tickets in a draw down at my local on Monday.
    Was watching Uruguay on Tuesday with my liverpool supporting father when suarez bit Chiellini
    Wednesday was my birthday
    Herrara Thursday
    Shaw on Friday

I'm just about to pop down to Supervalu to do a quick pick for tomorrows lotto, I'll post the numbers when I get back if anybody else wants in on this luck, I'm feeling as generous as our main man Ed at the minute!! :D

Is Stefan de Vrij definitely joining after the World Cup as well, or is that just speculation?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement