Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I expect no new signings in the lifetime of this new thread. That's not even trying to be funny.

Ye can all thank me now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The word seems to be that we want to get one CB and one CM in now,with Vidal and Vermlean (sp) the preferred choices, and then "the exodus" will begin.

I can't believe Vermaelan would be a preferred choice. I also hope not! With his injury issues again I was hoping he was a player that was linked as an extra rather than the only CB signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I can't believe Vermaelan would be a preferred choice. I also hope not! With his injury issues again I was hoping he was a player that was linked as an extra rather than the only CB signing.

He looks like he has no confidence what so ever aswell. Hope we don't get him. I'd rather us buy vertongen. Good player, maybe prone up the odd mistake though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

zerks wrote: »
    Cass has connections with United,especially with Fergie so he's reliable,Sports Witness is great for foreign stuff,plus they filter out the sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Shaw seems very nervous in that interview

Thought he was very impressive for an 18 year old. Has that Beckham-like self assurance about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

If Vidal, Pogba and Kroos were not available, who else would you like to see signed for the CM role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

If Vidal, Pogba and Kroos were not available, who else would you like to see signed for the CM role?

In reality I'd be happy with someone like De Jong for now and maybe Strootman in January. Not the most amazing names but more realistic.

Kinda want Centre Back to get a major name if i'm honest. I think we need at least 1 player for centre back if not 2. Hummels being the major name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Had pints with two of my best buddies (Liverpool fans)...upshot is two €500 bets that United will finish ahead of our friends.

In LVG we trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

DM-ICE wrote: »

Speaking of preferred CB choice... Can't believe Garay went to Zenit for what is basically a song in today's market.... Strange one ad we had been linked with him heavily over the years....

One thing is for sure, we do need a CB, a commanding 'Vidiv figure' back there, rest of the team is shaping up nicely but that has to be the key area to focus on now.... Fingers crossed for Hummels, he looks so solid as a defender

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Had pints with two of my best buddies (Liverpool fans)...upshot is two €500 bets that United will finish ahead of our friends.

In LVG we trust.
    i firmly believe you will be quids in...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

i firmly believe you will be quids in...

I would wait before the end of the transfer window before making that claim.....though I hope he wins his bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

Jones is like Rafael, bags of talent but rushes into challenges and you always feel there's a chance he'll get sent off or give away a penalty. He's young, so maybe LVG can sort him out. If not, get rid. No time for sentimentality if you want success. Nani, Anderson, Rafael, jones, smalling all have talent, but we can't wait around all day for them to produce it. Same can be said for kagawa, but I'd hate if he left, I think he has so much potential, and if he got a good run in the team in his favoured position we'd see it. Saying that, I don't know where he fits in if we start rooney rvp Herrera and mata.

We need an experienced CB undoubtedly. De Vrij has not impressed me this WC, and martins Indi has looked shocking IMO. Not too keen on Vermaelen either, he's often injured and seems to have no confidence. Hummels would be amazing, don't see it happening though, not this window anyways. Vidal would be perfect for us, and he hasn't ruled out leaving Juve either. If Vidal does come, I will write a personal letter thanking ed, and apologise for ever thinking Edward Woodward was a silly name.

If inter want Nani, sell him. 12 million would be a good deal for a player who thinks he's Ronaldo, when in reality, he's Bebe. And yes, sell Bebe. I'd keep Carrick just for back-up, who's going to want him at his age anyways?
    Cleverly... I'm sorry, but he's just not a good footballer and never will be. When he's on be ball, he looks so intense, I've never seen anyone in such a rush to play one twos with vidic/Evans/smalling. He doesn't even turn around to consider a pass forward. It's like he's thinking "alright, we're losing, but if I just keep my head down and don't lose possession, I can't be blamed...here you go Rio".
    At least Carrick can spread the play and play an occasional incisive pass.
    So goodbye tom.
    Young needs to go too. I never saw potential in him, but he's still disappointed me. He runs into corners, turns round, plays it back to Evra, then dives. To sum up, cleverly young nani out, hopefully we can keep Hernandez. We'd need a good young winger, a CB and another centre mid to make top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

mcratsix wrote: »
    I'd keep Carrick just for back-up, who's going to want him at his age anyways?

He was a first choice player at one of the biggest clubs in the world less than two months ago, but no other club would want him... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I fully expect Rafael to shine under LVG. He needs a strong manager. I'd expect a few other players to surprise us as well, LVG is the ****ing main man for getting the best out of limited players, I mean, this Dutch squad is not that impressive on paper, but they totally dismantled Spain and look set for a deep World Cup run.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

He was a first choice player at one of the biggest clubs in the world less than two months ago, but no other club would want him... :confused:

He was first choice in a team lacking in any quality in midfield. I wouldn't be crowing about that.

And I noticed you used the word "biggest" instead of "best". Good call there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I'm sure several clubs would be delighted to have him... The problem is that they couldn't afford his wages at the likes of Aston Villa/Swansea, and he probably would have no interest in going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Does anyone really think we will sign Vidal? De Jong is much more realistic IMO.

Anyway hopefully a good CB is signed and another CM. Both are a must really but CB takes priority.

Still think we will be pleasantly surprised with a lot of the current players under LVG. So much better than they showed under Moyes last season.

It's exciting times ahead that's for sure. I still wish Moyes hadn't been given the guts of the full season and we might be in a much healthier state but with another CB signed we are most definitely good enough to challenge for top four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Anyone got a transfer target update?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

In LVG we trust.

I wish I had friends like that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Apparently David Moyes is in talks for the Galatasary job, fûcker gets to take over a champions league club AGAIN, wonder will he turn Sneijder into a Cleverley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

MagicIRL wrote: »

Stefan de Vrij rumours continue.
    Vidal with Nani, latest is a reported £40 million plus Nani.
    Toni Kroos rumours still simmering.
    Robben and Vermaelen rumours continue.
    Depay for €21 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Ed better make another signing today or he's out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

After Herrsday and Shawsday, I wonder what today will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Apparently David Moyes is in talks for the Galatasary job, fûcker gets to take over a champions league club AGAIN, wonder will he turn Sneijder into a Cleverley?

Moyes did well in the champions league, hope he gets the job and does good.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aha_sender

I hope Moyes does will if he gets the job. While he was awful as Man u manager he showed off class which is rare in football. We still need a decent DM or we will struggle big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Good manager.

Hope he does well there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

MagicIRL wrote: »

A couple of papers running with Daryl Janmaat the Dutch right full back

That's freaky. Guess what Graeme Souness' first job was after ruining LFC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Zico wrote: »
    That's freaky. Guess what Graeme Souness' first job was after ruining LFC?

Looking for soap after Getting the blood of a dead goat rubbed on his face at Gala?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I'd be quite happy with DeJong. We need a combative midfielder like that.
    The maybe go for strootman in January if he has properly recovered.

Still concerned about the defence. We could do with CB who has experience in the PL and who has a good fitness record.

Feeling very optimistic again. :)

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »
    After Herrsday and Shawsday, I wonder what today will be?

Vidalurday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I look on de Jong much as I do on Suarez -- he's a [insert name that would get me a yellow card]. He's broken at least one leg (maybe two IIRC?) and committed gbh in the world cup final. I don't like the idea of him being in a United shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Vidal and Vermaelen are the main targets according to Ducker. Looks like we'll be going after a centre half and another midfielder. I still think that we could use another Winger especially if Alexis Sanchez is available.

I look on de Jong much as I do on Suarez -- he's a [insert name that would get me a yellow card]. He's broken at least one leg (maybe two IIRC?) and committed gbh in the world cup final. I don't like the idea of him being in a United shirt.

Does Giggs fall under that too?

Like Suarez, he did something disgusting that didn't really cause any physical damage but set a horrendous example.

Arsenal fan here by the way, no agenda, just curious.

Looking for soap after Getting the blood of a dead goat rubbed on his face at Gala?

Really?:eek:

Good luck Moyesie then!:)

Like Suarez, he did something disgusting that didn't really cause any physical damage but set a horrendous example.

The Giggs story was non football related really so not really a comparison.

One had an affair
    One likes to bite opposition players
    One likes to tackle hard

Bit of a difference, for me

adox wrote: »
    The Giggs story was non football related really so not really a comparison.
    One had an affair
    One likes to bite opposition players
    One likes to tackle hard

Bit of a difference, for me

Wasn't referring to de Jong at all, that's of course a very different matter.

Fair enough if that's what ye think.

I think it's a bit of a silly pedantic distinction, myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

What Giggs did was off the field. Same for Terry. It has nothing to do with them as players. Suarez and De Jong did what they did on the pitch. Thats the difference.

• Advertisement

Wasn't referring to de Jong at all, that's of course a very different matter.

Fair enough if that's what ye think.

I think it's a bit of a silly pedantic distinction, myself.

Thanks. How is it pedantic? We're comparing their 'crimes'. I've classed them in a quite basic manner.

How can you say you dont want de Jong because of hat hes done but laud Roy keane as a club great?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Park Ji Sung is getting married soon and this seems to be his wedding invitation - 'The Wedding of Dreams'.

b5mmJZP.jpg

http://m.101greatgoals.com/blog/former-manchester-united-player-park-ji-sungs-wedding-invitation-is-a-shrine-to-old-trafford/

KH25 wrote: »
    What Giggs did was off the field. Same for Terry. It has nothing to do with them as players. Suarez and De Jong did what they did on the pitch. Thats the difference.

If the reason in criticising Suarez is that it sets an awful example and image for the game and marks him out as a bit (a lot) of a cvnt, which I believe it is, then I think what Giggs did essentially does the same thing. Not that anyone can ban him for it of course, FIFA have no business in his private life. I would still think it marks him out as as much of a cvnt though.

The first poster's objection to de Jong and Suarez was that he wouldn't like to see characters as reprehensible as those two in a United shirt. I don't think Giggs is any less of a cvnt than Suarez. De Jong is a different matter entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The lads I was PM during January about Vidal interest would recall I mentioned he wanted CL football.

Of course the situation is different now with Top Class manager.

Hopefully this will sway him.

If he does come we can thank Moyes as he will have made the move.

Thanks. How is it pedantic? We're comparing their 'crimes'. I've classed them in a quite basic manner.

I wasn't exactly comparing their crimes, you see. I was comparing how reprehensible they are as characters, which is slightly different.

For example, Zidane's crime in 2006 was worse than Suarez, but Suarez is a far more reprehensible character, because Zidane at least had the mitigating factor of an apparent provocation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Have sky announced there fixtures yet?

If the reason in criticising Suarez is that it sets an awful example and image for the game and marks him out as a bit (a lot) of a cvnt, which I believe it is, then I think what Giggs did essentially does the same thing. Not that anyone can ban him for it of course, FIFA have no business in his private life. I would still think it marks him out as as much of a cvnt though.

The first poster's objection to de Jong and Suarez was that he wouldn't like to see characters as reprehensible as those two in a United shirt. I don't think Giggs is any less of a cvnt than Suarez. De Jong is a different matter entirely.

Ok I think you are purposely ignoring what myself and redbaron said. No point continuing, the difference has been explained and it's simple to understand.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Have sky announced there fixtures yet?

Middle of July last year I think but not 100% on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

How can you say you dont want de Jong because of hat hes done but laud Roy keane as a club great?

Have you got a link to a post of mine where I lauded Keane as a club great?

Because I think you're confusing my opinion with some imaginary collective consciousness of all Man United fans.

adox wrote: »
    Ok I think you are purposely ignoring what myself and Redbarron said. No point continuing, the difference has been explained and it's simple to understand.
    I responded to that. As I said, it's quite irrelevant to what I'm discussing, which I'd nothing to do with football punishments, or on field versus of field, but rather to do with individual characters and why you would be happy with one (apparently) awful human being representing Manchester United, but not another.

I'll drop this now because you seem to be (deliberately or not) missing the point, perhaps out of unwillingness to criticise Giggs or simply misunderstanding what I'm trying to talk about.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement