Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Does Giggs fall under that too?

Like Suarez, he did something disgusting that didn't really cause any physical damage but set a horrendous example.

Arsenal fan here by the way, no agenda, just curious.

I know others have commented already... I did lose some respect for Giggs but what happens on and off the field, when a player is and is not representing the club, are two different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I wasn't exactly comparing their crimes, you see. I was comparing how reprehensible they are as characters, which is slightly different.

For example, Zidane's crime in 2006 was worse than Suarez, but Suarez is a far more reprehensible character, because Zidane at least had the mitigating factor of an apparent provocation.

Thanks for the clarification. If it's a matter of character, I would say this: most people can't be classed as good or bad. People do stupid and reckless things. Judge them on how often they do such things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

De Telegraaf reporting that Bruno Martins Indi is going to Porto.That's one more Dutch player off the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I responded to that. As I said, it's quite irrelevant to what I'm discussing, which I'd nothing to do with football punishments, or on field versus of field, but rather to do with individual characters and why you would be happy with one (apparently) awful human being representing Manchester United, but not another.

Because if we went on that criteria there would be a hell of a lot of players people would not want at their clubs.

Giggs has played football very well for Man Utd for years and has not been involved in any major controversies on the field playing football. The difference is obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Thanks for the clarification. If it's a matter of character, I would say this: most people can't be classed as good or bad. People do stupid and reckless things. Judge them on how often they do such things.
    I know others have commented already... I did lose some respect for Giggs but what happens on and off the field, when a player is and is not representing the club, are two different things.
    Fair enough. Thanks for the reasonable responses. I do think what you say redbaron is slightly ducking the issue to avoid criticising a hero, but it's not entirely without merit.

Thanks guys. I'll drop it now.

adox wrote: »
    Because if we went on that criteria there would be a hell of a lot of players people would not want at their clubs.

Giggs has played football very well for Man Utd for years and has not been involved in any major controversies on the field playing football. The difference is obvious.
    This is a very silly reason. I'm going to stop talking to you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Thanks guys. I'll drop it now.

Bored already?

Zico wrote: »
    Bored already?

No, they answered me adequately. What are you, 12?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sooooooooo anyway, who is turning up at Carrington today?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

No, they answered me adequately. What are you, 12?

Yes, he set up his boards account at age 1 and a half.

• Advertisement

This is a very silly reason. I'm going to stop talking to you now.

It's not a very silly reason, it's the truth.

Anyway, any squad number for Shaw yet? Is he going to get Buttners?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

How long was Giggs riding his brother's missus for anyway?

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Yes, he set up his boards account at age 1 and a half.

Mental age does not progress linearly over time, unfortunately for some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Augmerson wrote: »

well if it is anything like the unbelievable loyalty and fantastic service he shown the club ,
    A hell of a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

3 hours on a good night. He's some goer is our Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Was his brother married to the one who was on Big Brother?

She was on Big Brother alot!:D

Zico wrote: »
    Was his brother married to the one who was on Big Brother?

She was on Big Brother alot!:D

Insert tumble weed gif.
    ;)

Have you got a link to a post of mine where I lauded Keane as a club great?

Because I think you're confusing my opinion with some imaginary collective consciousness of all Man United fans.

So you would rather keane never wore a united shirt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Knock Off Nigel

Right let's get back on topic who do you's think realistically we will sign next?

Right let's get back on topic who do you's think realistically we will sign next?

A new kit supplier, back to the real business for Woody :P

Let's just say I'm cheering for Brazil this evening ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I really think Depay is very possible. Have not seen him besides this world cup he has lots of talent and i am sure LVG would like to develop him.

It also seems like Sanchez might be available i think we were close to signing him a few years ago. He would really be a dream signing we need quality from the wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Knock Off Nigel

Papers are saying Vidal could be next this will pave the way to get rid of fellani and cleverly, two stockings of sh**e who aren't fit to wear the jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Papers saying united made an approach for Janmaat. If it's true what does that mean for Rafael? I'd be worried if I was him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Papers saying united made an approach for Janmaat. If it's true what does that mean for Rafael? I'd be worried if I was him.

Ever hear of competition for places?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

If the reason in criticising Suarez is that it sets an awful example and image for the game and marks him out as a bit (a lot) of a cvnt, which I believe it is, then I think what Giggs did essentially does the same thing. Not that anyone can ban him for it of course, FIFA have no business in his private life. I would still think it marks him out as as much of a cvnt though.

The first poster's objection to de Jong and Suarez was that he wouldn't like to see characters as reprehensible as those two in a United shirt. I don't think Giggs is any less of a cvnt than Suarez. De Jong is a different matter entirely.

I don't criticise Suarez for setting a bad example. What I do criticise him for is doing something that has absolutely no place in the game. Dirty tackles are part of the game, fair enough, but not biting. I couldn't care less what kind of image Suarez gives off. But on the pitch there are certain things that just should not be done. Biting is one. Cantona kicking the fan is another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Not really, United need a RB.

Liam O wrote: »
    Not really, United need a RB.

Although personally I think Rafael is a bit of a liability it seems many fans and critics think he's the way to go at RB. If Janmaat comes in we can pretty much say that means he will start and I can't see Rafael settling for a back up spot after being a starter for a while now.

Would like to see Marnick Vermijl pushed up and get some games, was very good on his loan spell last year in NEC despite their relegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

So you would rather keane never wore a united shirt?

No, I didn't say that either. Honestly, where are you reading these imaginary posts?

• Advertisement

Instead of who we are signing next, who will we sell? I think Young is top of the list.

United were linked with most of the dutch squad so best to ignore that speculation while the World Cup is on. Van Gaal would be careful not to look like he was focused on anything other than the World Cup or disrupting his players during it.

KH25 wrote: »
    Instead of who we are signing next, who will we sell? I think Young is top of the list.

I don't see us selling many until Van Gaal comes back, would be a bit disrespectful for a manager to decide who to sell without even meeting them yet to explain it. Just my view tough.

I don't see us selling many until Van Gaal comes back, would be a bit disrespectful for a manager to decide who to sell without even meeting them yet to explain it. Just my view tough.

Well yeah, I doubt we'll move anyone on this week or anything like that. But I do see a bit of a clearout this summer.

KH25 wrote: »
    Well yeah, I doubt we'll move anyone on this week or anything like that. But I do see a bit of a clearout this summer.

Yeah me too, new managers tend to have their favourites that bring with them and at the moment we have a fairly packed squad. Could see a few big names leaving to make room for the new signings.

We have a lot of midfielders and if Vidal does sign some have to go tbh.

Out on my own here but I think Young could suit Van Gaal type of play as has pace, good crosser, very good on the counter attack comfortable on either side, works hard, so he should stay till January :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Out on my own here but I think Young could suit Van Gaal type of play as has pace, good crosser, very good on the counter attack comfortable on either side, works hard, so he should stay till January :o

pjIeY0A.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Harry will take Young off our hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's Sarturoday guys

Headshot wrote: »
    Ever hear of competition for places?

Ha no need to be cheeky, obviously competition for places is good. But Rafael has been a starter for a while now and if a new manager brings in a player he has worked with before that generally means the manager likes him so he will more than likely become the starter.

It would be crazy for Rafael not to be worried if Van Gaal did bring in Janmaat and for a guy who has become used to playing every week I'm wondering will he be happy sitting on the bench more often. Pretty normal thing to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lads I hate to disappoint ye all but I think Chile might beat brazil tonight??
    So Vidchezday might be put back a few more days :)
    Maybe we'd have Neymaday tomorrow then (there's no brazilian players you'd want outside of that)

Pay no heed to any dutch player being link, that's just lazy journalism, which of them have we not been linked with already.

On outgoings, Louis has ha a chance to view some of the players and gigs will be doing an assessment in his role as the assistant manager. Was it not him who said fellaini is not united quality, might have that to say about another few players to when LVG lands. Didn't he call CR7 a show pony, so Nani could be in the firing line too. 12m for him is good money.

brinty wrote: »
    Lads I hate to disappoint ye all but I think Chile might beat brazil tonight??
    So Vidchezday might be put back a few more days :)
    Maybe we'd have Neymaday tomorrow then (there's no brazilian players you'd want outside of that)

Pay no heed to any dutch player being link, that's just lazy journalism, which of them have we not been linked with already.

On outgoings, Louis has ha a chance to view some of the players and gigs will be doing an assessment in his role as the assistant manager. Was it not him who said fellaini is not united quality, might have that to say about another few players to when LVG lands. Didn't he call CR7 a show pony, so Nani could be in the firing line too. 12m for him is good money.

You wouldn't like Thiago Silva at OT?

Not that he would ever be signed

It's Sarturoday guys
    nice one rayne

We should just all reAlex unil tomorrow...

You wouldn't like Thiago Silva at OT?

Not that he would ever be signed

Fair point DM, but he'd break the bank and is late 20's and on a huge deal at PSG

If it was me i'd take one of Hummels or Subotic from Dortmund

At least we could keep the Vida song going if we signed Neven... sort off???

It's Sarturoday guys

Genius at work. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I wasn't exactly comparing their crimes, you see. I was comparing how reprehensible they are as characters, which is slightly different.

For example, Zidane's crime in 2006 was worse than Suarez, but Suarez is a far more reprehensible character, because Zidane at least had the mitigating factor of an apparent provocation.

How on earth is a headbutt to the chest worse than biting someone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

It's a sign of the fear of United is growing when Liverpool fans invade the Superthread. Get used it boys. Keep calm and don't bite. ;)

How on earth is a headbutt to the chest worse than biting someone?

Too right its not. At least Zidane didn't try and be a sneaky (insert word which would incur a yellow card here) about it and then try and come out and say this that and the other, he took his punishment like a man (the fact he was retiring helped) and didn't put the blame back on everyone else (meeja, materrazzi, fifa, space aliens etc)

Biting someone is a disgraceful act, if a dog does it he would be put down, no questions yet we continue to discuss this event on a third occurrence..

MagicIRL wrote: »
    It's a sign of the fear of United is growing when Liverpool fans invade the Superthread. Get used it boys. Keep calm and don't bite. ;)

Its ok Magic,
    their bark is worse than their bite ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

De Jong is a bit of a c**t but he is exactly what we need in midfield. I was at milan v Juve in the San Siro the season before last and De Jong was absolutley sensational. He kept Juve out on his own. The amount of blocks and tackles he made during the game was incredible. Look at how easy teams walked through us last year. A bus could have been driven through our midfield at times. If he was available cheap he would definitely be worth picking up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement