Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

RobertKK wrote: »
    James Rodriguez is the winger we should be after.
    Future ballon dor winner in my opinion.

Literally no club could afford him if Monaco were unwilling to sell

The fee they paid for him, the wages they pay him (due to the tax - or lack there of)

He is impossible to buy unless he goes on strike and a club spends way, way more then he is worth, and doubles it.

Can get wingers and number 10's cheaper then him who are as talented, he can continue to improve alright, but he is playing out of his skin at this world cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

I won't be expecting to see Mata and Kagawa in the same team.

If LvG plays the 5-3-2 it's between Mata and (Vidal, if signed) for the point of the 3 in the middle and just for the legs to be able to get back and defend it would be Vidal for me. We could end up with Mata and Kagawa on the bench next season. :eek:

All speculation at this point but f**k I'm so excited for the season to start. Shaw is in the bag, for me he was my number 1 signing so anything that comes after him/before is a huge plus for me.

Good to know he knows his football ie "biggest football club in the world" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Regarding James Rodriguez
    Nooruddean @BeardedGenius
    For the past 6 months, MUFC have been rumoured to be preparing a £60m bid to the rich French club of one of these players. The wrong one.

Sums it up about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

A lot of people here throwing Hummel into fantasy line-ups but have we been linked with him by any reliable source? I think he would be an excellent replacement for Vidic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Garay would have perfect in my opinion. Went for 15 million aswell, an absolute bargain in this market. Probably getting paid ridiculous wages by Zenit though.

• Advertisement

He would have been the perfect replacement for Ronaldo.

At the time there was still question marks about his temperment and attitude, a reputed head case if you remember (he was 17/18? and was still being talked about in the £25-30m range due to it being Porto)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

adox wrote: »
    Goal of the tournament.

RvP header?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Garry would have perfect in my opinion. Went for 15 million aswell, an absolute bargain in this market. Probably getting paid ridiculous wages by Zenit though.

Aww, man I love me some Gary. He'd be perfect for us. Check out the pace and stamina he has.

Since FutureGuy didn't say it...

We are not signing Vidal.

Think he derives his power from being a catmod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

user2011 wrote: »
    I won't be expecting to see Mata and Kagawa in the same team.

If LvG plays the 5-3-2 it's between Mata and (Vidal, if signed) for the point of the 3 in the middle and just for the legs to be able to get back and defend it would be Vidal for me. We could end up with Mata and Kagawa on the bench next season. :eek:

All speculation at this point but f**k I'm so excited for the season to start. Shaw is in the bag, for me he was my number 1 signing so anything that comes after him/before is a huge plus for me.

Good to know he knows his football ie "biggest football club in the world" :D

completely disagree with you.

Firstly, I very much doubt LVG will stick with a 532 formation he only moved to in the last two months. He will look to build a squad to play the type of formations he has used for the last 20 years, not 2 months.

Secondly, I completely disagree on your assessment of Vidals position. He would be played in central midfield, helping to protect the defence, not as the most attacking midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Keno wrote: »
    Aww, man I love me some Gary. He'd be perfect for us. Check out the pace and stamina he has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

kryogen wrote: »
    At the time there was still question marks about his temperment and attitude, a reputed head case if you remember (he was 17/18? and was still being talked about in the £25-30m range due to it being Porto)

we were told where to go wiith a bid of 30 2 years ago apparently

hes destined for real madrid imo and id highly doubt he'd move so quickly since he has a wife and a young kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Keno wrote: »

Edited :pac:

Ha, I posted that video around a year ago when we were linked to him.

Great minds.

Firstly, I very much doubt LVG will stick with a 532 formation he only moved to in the last two months. He will look to build a squad to play the type of formations he has used for the last 20 years, not 2 months.

Secondly, I completely disagree on your assessment of Vidals position. He would be played in central midfield, helping to protect the defence, not as the most attacking midfielder.

Ya, overall he seems to favour a 433 the moves to a 343 with the ball. Kinda expect him to vary the formation to the players at his disposal tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

NTMK wrote: »
    we were told where to go wiith a bid of 30 2 years ago apparently

hes destined for real madrid imo and id highly doubt he'd move so quickly since he has a wife and a young kid

His agent is looking for a new home for him. There has been talk he is bored with the French league and wants to be in a bigger tougher league.

http://www.squawka.com/news/colombia-world-cup-star-james-rodriguez-linked-to-manchester-united-and-spurs/130672

Abel Hernandez, remember signing him for Rochdale, we had a bit of success beforehand naturally, quality for me. Remember him fondly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

What Berbatov was planted there to persuade him United's where he belongs :eek:

RobertKK wrote: »
    His agent is looking for a new home for him. There has been talk he is bored with the French league and wants to be in a bigger tougher league.

http://www.squawka.com/news/colombia-world-cup-star-james-rodriguez-linked-to-manchester-united-and-spurs/130672

He didn't exactly set the weaker league alight in fairness.

Hopefully he kicks on now after this world cup and continues his great form in it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

There must be around 20 players I would like signed from this World Cup its been so good. Probably best that none of them are signed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

DM-ICE wrote: »
    There must be around 20 players I would like signed from this World Cup its been so good. Probably best that none of them are signed!

Except Hummels, Vidal, Sanchez, Pogba, Robben and Depay :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Daily Star linking us with De Jong. Not surprising, but I hope he is a backup target, unless we want to sign him AND Vidal. I'd be ok with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Daily Star linking us with De Jong. Not surprising, but I hope he is a backup target, unless we want to sign him AND Vidal. I'd be ok with that.

I'd be OK with us handing Ashley young a 5 year extension if it meant we got Vidal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

astradave wrote: »
    Except Hummels, Vidal, Sanchez, Pogba, Robben and Depay :D

Depay is the only one that would be based on the World Cup but if you like him exception allowed :p

If we sign 2-3 more players, this could be the best summer transfer window I've experienced.

Speaking of, what is everyone's favourite summer window we've had thus far? Mine was probably 07/08. Tevez on loan, Owen Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson. I remember the moment my dad came in to tell me we got both Nani and Anderson and how shocked I was. There was a real "WTF we got both of them" buzz going around at the time. I knew practically nothing about them but that they both had huge potential.

Hindsight is 20/20 but at the time it was great craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

That is some risk taking from LvG too switch from what he knows to what he "doesn't" (I like that) I'll admit I've seen zero of the Dutch pre WC so I'll take what you say with that as truth.

Juve play the same formation as Chile so I thought and seen Vidal play the point for the three which lead me to think (2+2=5 clearly) that the 5-3-2 would be the way United would go next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

l laughed at twitter comment
    [People saying that #MUFC should sell Ashley Young and get James Rodriguez. Who on earth would want to match Ashley Young’s £120k/week?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Agree with many saying that he seems to favour 4-3-3 and then move wing backs in to the attack when in possession.
    Van Gaal seems to like attacking wing backs, similar to Coleman and Baines this year. I imagine Shaw will be used in attacks down the wing a lot next season.

And the idea of Vidal and Herrera in the centre would be music to my ears! Hopefully he signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Agree with many saying that he seems to favour 4-4-3 and then move wing backs in to the attack when in possession.
    Van Gaal seems to like attacking wing backs, similar to Coleman and Baines this year. I imagine Shaw will be used in attacks down the wing a lot next season.

And the idea of Vidal and Herrera in the centre would be music to my ears! Hopefully he signs.

I'm not sure even Howard Webb would let united play with that formation!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

taidghbaby wrote: »

Dr Gea playing as keeper/sweeper

taidghbaby wrote: »

haha sorry meant 4-3-3 only saw mistake there :P

Spanish papers are reporting that United are considering a £24 million bid for Miranda from Atletico, and also papers in Holland are saying a £8 million deal is being done for De Vrij.

Just paper talk but still interesting.

My view is although Miranda is a good player seems a bit much to spend on a centre back that will be 30 in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Pure fantasy from myself here but I've been very impressed by Juan Cuadrado of Colombia and Fiorentina. Would be more than delighted to see him brought in and he might be a little more obtainable than James :pac: He just seems to be what Valencia should be.

While I'm in here I may as well add my welcome to Herrera and Shaw, give credit to Ed and look forward to more arrivals soon :D

Also regarding Vidal transfer rumours have it the biggest competition will be from Arsenal. Wenger has already said he is interested in signing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Spanish papers are reporting that United are considering a £24 million bid for Miranda from Atletico, and also papers in Holland are saying a £8 million deal is being done for De Vrij.

Just paper talk but still interesting.

My view is although Miranda is a good player seems a bit much to spend on a centre back that will be 30 in September.
    Considering how bad we were last year (I know a lot of that was down to Moyes but still) I'd take any good CB at the minute. A lot of posters have said on here (and rightly so IMHO) that we need an older CB to sort sh1t out. De Gea is a great keeper but is young so it's going to be another 2-3 years before he is properly imposing himself on our defence, Evans is good but still a bit naive, as is Jones. Having that older rock at the back is the way to go. Especially if we are going to have Rafael-????(hopefully Miranda)-Evans-Shaw as the back 4.

Happy with the signings so far to be honest! I think we will get Miranda, Herrara and Shaw are great additions to the squad. Another CM and I'll be a very happy man. (I think we do need a new winger and another CB but if we can at least shore up Central Midfield better we can do what United do best-outscore the opposition)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Pure fantasy from myself here but I've been very impressed by Juan Cuadrado of Colombia and Fiorentina. Would be more than delighted to see him brought in and he might be a little more obtainable than James :pac: He just seems to be what Valencia should be.

While I'm in here I may as well add my welcome to Herrera and Shaw, give credit to Ed and look forward to more arrivals soon :D

Its well known Fiorentina want €40M for Cuadrado. Very good player but thats a lot of cash for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

We should go all out for Vidal. Excellent player.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Considering how bad we were last year (I know a lot of that was down to Moyes but still) I'd take any good CB at the minute. A lot of posters have said on here (and rightly so IMHO) that we need an older CB to sort sh1t out. De Gea is a great keeper but is young so it's going to be another 2-3 years before he is properly imposing himself on our defence, Evans is good but still a bit naive, as is Jones. Having that older rock at the back is the way to go. Especially if we are going to have Rafael-????(hopefully Miranda)-Evans-Shaw as the back 4.

Happy with the signings so far to be honest! I think we will get Miranda, Herrara and Shaw are great additions to the squad. Another CM and I'll be a very happy man. (I think we do need a new winger and another CB but if we can at least shore up Central Midfield better we can do what United do best-outscore the opposition)

Fair point, the reason Miranda price will be high I reckon is because of the high buy out clause (near £30 million but they said negotiable).

Agree with that but I'd love to see Jones in at centre back (instead of Evans) for the season beside someone who could help mentor him in to that position. Really see Jones becoming a good cb if given the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Fair point, the reason Miranda price will be high I reckon is because of the high buy out clause (near £30 million but they said negotiable).

Agree with that but I'd love to see Jones in at centre back (instead of Evans) for the season beside someone who could help mentor him in to that position. Really see Jones becoming a good cb if given the chance.
    Fair point there actually. I just put down Evans because he has more experience but if Jones was partnered with Miranda he really could learn a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

TheTownie wrote: »
    Its well known Fiorentina want €40M for Cuadrado. Very good player but thats a lot of cash for him.

Yeah I'm just reading up about him now and it seems that it's a release clause set at €40m. It's certainly far from a priority position, especially at that kind of price. Not that he's even a target anyway, just thinking out loud.

*cue a tabloid running it next week*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Herrday
    Shawday
    Buttnerday

What day is tomorrow?

Please be Cleverlyday.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Fair point there actually. I just put down Evans because he has more experience but if Jones was partnered with Miranda he really could learn a lot

And on the Miranda price as you were saying he is quality, and now that I think about it suppose if we have the money to spend why not spend it! :P

At least were getting someone who we know is an experienced player at top flight and not taking as much of a gamble.

Really looking forward to next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Herrday
    Shawday
    Buttnerday

What day is tomorrow?

Please be Cleverlyday.

Oh god .... Cleverly signs 5 year extension :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Vidal's name has too much in common with Veron's. Starts with a 'V', five letters long. Every odd letter a consonant, every even letter a vowel.

Not want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

What day is tomorrow?

Please be Cleverlyday.

I think you have De Jong day there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

dahat wrote: »
    I think you have De Jong day there....

Thats good! How long that take too come up with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

This Joao Miranda guy... Any good?

Would he be worth the buy out clause if thats what it took to get him or is he way over valued?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Were going to sign Vidal and here's why.

Ed is a business man. There's no waste. He needed to recycle the Nemanja song so he looked for a player with a 3-syllable name.

Herrera.

He knew Evra was almost finished and decided to bring in another player with a 4 letter surname (so we don't run out of letters at the strt of the season.)

Shaw.

We have no one with the nickname Vida.

Vidal.

There you have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Were going to sign Vidal and here's why.

Ed is a business man. There's no waste. He needed to recycle the Nemanja song so he looked for a player with a 3-syllable name.

Herrera.

He knew Evra was almost finished and decided to bring in another player with a 4 letter surname (so we don't run out of letters at the strt of the season.)

Shaw.

We have no one with the nickname Vida.

Vidal.

There you have it.

tumblr_inline_n6r51gWhNr1r9qaqn.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Is Vidal not 2 syllables?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement