Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

He's so boring to listen to.

It's like he's trying to talk quietly so he doesn't wake his auld pair up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Now for some Kagawa watch :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Zico wrote: »
    Rooney played about as well as he played for Utd this season.

He played every well for Utd overall last season all things considered.

Was poor tonight, albeit out of position so I don't think it's a fair comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Japanese anthem is......I dunno how else to describe it but.....honourable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

kryogen wrote: »
    Japanese anthem is......I dunno how else to describe it but.....honourable :)

Felt like it just sort of stopped half way through. :

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Break the bank for Pirlo! His class knows no bounds! Mythical.

Pirlo is just a footballing genius but he is 35, ok he could be like Giggs and reach 40, his type of play would suggest he has a few years left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Rooney was so bad last night.

Like so bad.

Buy Robben, Sanchez and Pirlo, and be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

RobertKK wrote: »
    Pirlo is just a footballing genius but he is 35, ok he could be like Giggs and reach 40, his type of play would suggest he has a few years left.

Pirlo can play as long as he wants to because he's Pirlo. His beard is also magnificent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Let's not start another Rooney debate, we all knew how the match would turn out if Rooney started on the left. Was always going to be England's scapegoat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I don't get the English media. Gerrard was absolutely awful and Rooney was poor but created a goal yet Rooney is the scapegoat.

Rooney won't get a kick under van Gaal if he can't improve his versatility

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

glued wrote: »
    I don't get the English media. Gerrard was absolutely awful and Rooney was poor but created a goal yet Rooney is the scapegoat.

Rooney has worked hard to position himself as the talisman of the teams he plays for (United and England). He earns twice as much as Gerrard, is far younger, plays in a more prominent attacking position and courts the attention for more than Stevie G.

So of course the expectations are going to be far higher for him. That comes with the role in the team that he's worked to get.

I would argue that Gerrard courts far more attention, last night he stepped up to take a last minute free kick. When was the last time Stevie G scored a free kick ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

beno619 wrote: »
    I would argue that Gerrard courts far more attention, last night he stepped up to take a last minute free kick. When was the last time Stevie G scored a free kick ?

Against Sunderland I think. Suarez takes most free kicks. Gerrard wagged his finger at him after scoring saying that he wasn't taking any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ducker and bates both have stories today that united are no where near signing anyone, including shaw who we are miles away on valuation from.

This club is an absolute farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Uhh, he's scored a few this season.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Reading your posts is like listening to FM104, just the same shíte over and over again.

Reading your posts is like listening to FM104, just the same shíte over and over again.

Just put me on ignore so, I've no interest in reading your ****e replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Calm down guys :)

I know Rooney is after Englands record but Jaysus I'd retire if I was him the way he is treated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just put me on ignore so, I've no interest in reading your ****e replies.

So put me on ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Ducker and bates both have stories today that united are no where near signing anyone, including shaw who we are miles away on valuation from.

Just because it's printed in a paper or posted on Twitter does not mean it's true. Calling the club a farce because two lads are saying X or Y is/is not happening is ridiculous.

If the club fails to sign the required players by the end of the window, or ends up overpaying for players because they've left it too late THEN call them a farce. Until then, ignore everything bar the BBC.

• Advertisement

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Just because it's printed in a paper or posted on Twitter does not mean it's true. Calling the club a farce because two lads are saying X or Y is/is not happening is ridiculous.

If the club fails to sign the required players by the end of the window, or ends up overpaying for players because they've left it too late THEN call them a farce. Until then, ignore everything bar the BBC.
    I believe what they say is true, as I have seen it said by others I trust too.

Just because the BBC are not saying doesn't mean it isn't true.

I'll call them a farce now, because they are. Appointed LVG a month ago and are no closer to signing his targets now than we were a month a go. Farcical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

wow how childish

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The latest rumour, is LVG wants his Dutch left back instead of Shaw - Daley Blind.

I would be happy with him.

The Sunday Times say today that we've failed to agree a deal for Shaw and that were on the cusp on another frustrating summer. Although it's written by Northcroft not Ducker.

£27M for Shaw is crazy tbh. Would rather spend less on Moreno or Blind and get two midfielders

Im not bothered by Shaw if we can get somebody cheaper and just as good.(yes we can)

Maybe LVG has common sense.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

So not looking good again for signings. If this summer turns out to be a disaster there will be a large humble pie going around with slices for quite a fair few posters.

For example does anyone here expect a united signing in the next 2 weeks? I don't. But it wouldn't surprise me to see Chelsea doing business again or Arsenal or any of the big clubs. The only rumour with an solidity was Shaw and the longer it goes on the more doubtful it looks.

I have no idea what's going on but it's all very worrying. we should have players in by now. There is no excuse for not having players in by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'm not panicking about signings at all and just watching the tactical genius of LVG the other night completely reassures me. He is totally focused on his international priorities right now. Quite possible that he'll even in bring players that weren't even on the radar in here. And looking at the way he got an unfamiliar looking Dutch team playing the other night, I'll have every faith in him doing what's best for United.

Im not bothered by Shaw if we can get somebody cheaper and just as good.(yes we can)

Maybe LVG has common sense.

Id like both, Blind could be a good "quarter back" option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I'm not panicking about signings at all and just watching the tactical genius of LVG the other night completely reassures me. He is totally focused on his international priorities right now. Quite possible that he'll even bring players that weren't even on the radar in here. And looking at the way he got an unfamiliar looking Dutch team playing the other night, I'll have every faith in him dong what's best for United.

I have every confidence in LVG. The man is decisive to the point of danger at times so I have no doubt he has already given at least some targets to Woodward.

Woodward however is another matter entirely. He has been presiding over transfer business for the last two transfer windows and business was handled poorly in both.

I genuinely am worried about the clubs ability to get deals done efficiently because the way we have handled business over the last couple of years does not inspire confidence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

lordgoat wrote: »
    So not looking good again for signings. If this summer turns out to be a disaster there will be a large humble pie going around with slices for quite a fair few posters.

For example does anyone here expect a united signing in the next 2 weeks? I don't. But it wouldn't surprise me to see Chelsea doing business again or Arsenal or any of the big clubs. The only rumour with an solidity was Shaw and the longer it goes on the more doubtful it looks.

I have no idea what's going on but it's all very worrying. we should have players in by now. There is no excuse for not having players in by now.

We're still 2 and a half months off talking about "humble pie".

I was fully prepared to have to wait till late July at the earliest for signings anyway. Once Moyes went, our transfer plans obviously got torn up, and LVG may have had a list (which changes on a daily basis) but it was also obvious that the WC was his #1 priority. So getting business done pre-WC was going to be hard and getting it done during it was going to be nigh on impossible.

You say that you wouldn't be shocked to see other big clubs doing business before us. But so far, Chelsea and City have only managed to sign players that the other clubs let go and who they were the only ones in for. Arsenal's thread is identical to this one about a lack of signings. Liverpool haven't actually made a signing that makes me think they are any stronger yet (and they have their biggest challenge to come re: Suarez).

Every club is struggling to get business done so far this summer. None of the big clubs have actually managed to address their biggest issues they are facing. I know it's easy to go "Oh God, it's us, we're the problem" but the reality is that the entire transfer market is spinning its wheels big time right now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Quandary wrote: »
    Woodward however is another matter entirely. He has been presiding over transfer business for the last two transfer windows and business was handled poorly in both.

I genuinely am worried about the clubs ability to get deals done efficiently because the way we have handled business over the last couple of years does not inspire confidence.

Do you not think Woodward deserves credit for the signing of Mata, and surely he was involved in LVG being signed as manager?

lordgoat wrote: »

I expected 1 signing before WC.

I expected no signings during WC.

I still remain confident that LVG will attract names.

Its June the 15th, not August the 15th.

I will repeat I have absolutely no problem with peoples concerns. They were proven right last summer and I also voiced my concerns last summer.

If we dont sign any stars by early August then I will turn 180 on the topic.

The difference between last summer and this for me though is different.

I was concerned last summer because I felt we were too open and well I questioned Moyes ability to get the players.

LVG though is different animal imo. A proven top manager and results the other day might sway a few players, although its too early to get carried away by 1 result.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Yeah we've signed a sh*te manager and are doomed to failure :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

I thought that was an appalling decision on his part...

TBF to Mitch I can see why he is concerned.

I just hope we can get the buckoos this time around.

I think LVG knows what he wants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

A disjointed summer is the price we've had to pay to secure Van Gaal.

It's not ideal, but it will be worth it.

How can Van Gaal sanction signings when he hasn't really seen the squad up close?

How can he sanction a move for Shaw when he's probably seen little or nothing of him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

TBH Im over the moon with the appointed with LVG but he's not a miracle worker, the team needs signings and at the moment its not looking like it at all. When you look at our main opponents for next season Chelsea, they have been brilliant this summer. Getting a liability out of the team and bringing in 2 players that will greatly improve them. City have a superb team already and will most likely spend again but they dont really need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

mav79 wrote: »
    Do you not think Woodward deserves credit for the signing of Mata, and surely he was involved in LVG being signed as manager?

Chelsea were shipping mata out because he was surplus to requirements and they managed to squeeze £37m out of us which is an extraordinary amount of money and our club transfer record. Now don't get me wrong, I was delighted to with the signing but it wasn't exactly a difficult deal to conclude when you take the circumstances into account and the money we were prepared to pay.

As for the hiring of LVG, that took long enough to confirm and it looked as if we were waiting for someone else to become free, possibly Ancelotti? LVG should have been wrapped up almost immediately after Moyes sacking. Reports have it that we were courting LVG a good bit before Moyes was fired.

I think the club needs to move much quicker if we are to secure the players we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Quandary wrote: »
    Chelsea were shipping mata out because he was surplus to requirements and they managed to squeeze £37m out of us which is an extraordinary amount of money and our club transfer record.

I wouldn't have minded if we'd spent that on Fabregas last summer, as he wasn't for sale. But how do you break a club transfer record on a guy who is being forced out of his club with no other clubs seriously interested?

That's a very poor piece of business for a player Utd didn't urgently need, other than to prove Woodward could actually sign a player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I believe what they say is true, as I have seen it said by others I trust too.

Just because the BBC are not saying doesn't mean it isn't true.

I'll call them a farce now, because they are. Appointed LVG a month ago and are no closer to signing his targets now than we were a month a go. Farcical.

Mate, you're sounding like a United version of Piers Morgan when you write this stuff.

As Kew said, it's June. Relax, we'll get our stuff sorted by the end of the transfer window. I've full confidence. Don't let the Moyes year continually haunt you.

From Sky sports

Reports in Italy in the Gazzetta dello Sport claim that Manchester United are interested in Juventus’ Chile international Arturo Vidal, while Corriere dello Sport claims that the Old Trafford outfit could be planning a summer move for Inter Milan’s Colombia midfielder Fredy Guarin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

From Sky sports

Reports in Italy in the Gazzetta dello Sport claim that Manchester United are interested in Juventus’ Chile international Arturo Vidal.

Praise the Lord if this is true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

From Sky sports

Reports in Italy in the Gazzetta dello Sport claim that Manchester United are interested in Juventus’ Chile international Arturo Vidal, while Corriere dello Sport claims that the Old Trafford outfit could be planning a summer move for Inter Milan’s Colombia midfielder Fredy Guarin.

Are they reliable???? Vidal would be beautiful :cool:

Why would Vidal join United? He's rejected numerous offers over the past few years. He's one of the best in the world

Mate, you're sounding like a United version of Piers Morgan when you write this stuff.

As Kew said, it's June. Relax, we'll get our stuff sorted by the end of the transfer window. I've full confidence. Don't let the Moyes year continually haunt you.
    Woodward failed to sign players last summer, and he us the one in charge of signing them now. How people fail to see Woodward is a big part of the problem baffles me. Lvg has got van his list, Woodward has delivered nothing in a month and is seemingly no closer to delivering than he was a month ago. It's shambolic. Lvg improves the tactics and prep, imo, but he doesn't solve our inability to conduct transfer business efficiently or effectively.

• Advertisement

Not sure if they are or not just thought I would post it as the worry is creeping in :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Silva could, and should have put them two up. The Spanish fell apart last night, that should not be forgotten.

Sneijder should have put Holland 1 up, I fail to see your point. Who's to say what it would have ended up then.......10-0 (see what I did there ? )

Regarding United being a joke ? Yes club is shut. I mean it's not like there is 60 days to get deals signed it's not like they went out and got the best available man for the job.

Regarding us not signing any of LVGs targets care to elaborate on how you know this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Just wondering, is it possible for woodward to get sacked. Who is on top of him that could do so

Just wondering, is it possible for woodward to get sacked. Who is on top of him that could do so

Why would Woodward be sacked? And the Glazers would make that decision.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

We're still 2 and a half months off talking about "humble pie".

Season starts in 2 months. I'm not sure about you but I like my signings done as early as possible. you know maybe have yout squad all sorted for preseason. Also this is a world cup year so players also need as much a break as possible before preseason so it makes no sense to delay signings.

I was fully prepared to have to wait till late July at the earliest for signings anyway. Once Moyes went, our transfer plans obviously got torn up, and LVG may have had a list (which changes on a daily basis) but it was also obvious that the WC was his #1 priority. So getting business done pre-WC was going to be hard and getting it done during it was going to be nigh on impossible.

You say that you wouldn't be shocked to see other big clubs doing business before us. But so far, Chelsea and City have only managed to sign players that the other clubs let go and who they were the only ones in for. Arsenal's thread is identical to this one about a lack of signings. Liverpool haven't actually made a signing that makes me think they are any stronger yet (and they have their biggest challenge to come re: Suarez).
    1. Oh dod we have to wait for other clubs to sign first or something. Would it not be better if we were the only club that had done all their transfer dealings at this stage? But while I'm here - Lol at only Chelsea and City having bought players. Ya sure why should we expect to be as competent as them in the transfer market.

Every club is struggling to get business done so far this summer. None of the big clubs have actually managed to address their biggest issues they are facing. I know it's easy to go "Oh God, it's us, we're the problem" but the reality is that the entire transfer market is spinning its wheels big time right now....
    Every club expect Chelsea/City/Barca/German clubs/PSG

I expected 1 signing before WC.

I expected no signings during WC.

I still remain confident that LVG will attract names.

Its June the 15th, not August the 15th.

I will repeat I have absolutely no problem with peoples concerns. They were proven right last summer and I also voiced my concerns last summer.

If we dont sign any stars by early August then I will turn 180 on the topic.

The difference between last summer and this for me though is different.

I was concerned last summer because I felt we were too open and well I questioned Moyes ability to get the players.

LVG though is different animal imo. A proven top manager and results the other day might sway a few players, although its too early to get carried away by 1 result.

I;d agree with most of this. I'd still have an issue with players coming in on the 15th Aug as i said above preseason is very important.
    A disjointed summer is the price we've had to pay to secure Van Gaal.

It's not ideal, but it will be worth it.

How can Van Gaal sanction signings when he hasn't really seen the squad up close?

How can he sanction a move for Shaw when he's probably seen little or nothing of him?

How can any of us assess the squad and know that we are chronically lacking a CM, a CB a LB and could probably do with a winger? You don't need to be LVG to know that there are a vast array of plays out there that would improve our starting 11.

As reliable as will it rain today. Sometimes spot on sometimes way off.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement