Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Were going to sign Vidal and here's why.

Ed is a business man. There's no waste. He needed to recycle the Nemanja song so he looked for a player with a 3-syllable name.

Herrera.

He knew Evra was almost finished and decided to bring in another player with a 4 letter surname (so we don't run out of letters at the strt of the season.)

Shaw.

We have no one with the nickname Vida.

Vidal.

There you have it.
    tumblr_mf2g15a3bo1qddomx.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

AS in Spain are claiming United have have made contact with Toni Kroos and are looking to sign him if he does intend on leaving Bayern Munich.
    The rivals for him they say are Chelsea as well as Real Madrid and Barcelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

GSPfan wrote: »
    Is Vidal not 2 syllables?

Ar Tu Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Were going to sign Vidal and here's why.

Ed is a business man. There's no waste. He needed to recycle the Nemanja song so he looked for a player with a 3-syllable name.

Herrera.

He knew Evra was almost finished and decided to bring in another player with a 4 letter surname (so we don't run out of letters at the strt of the season.)

Shaw.

We have no one with the nickname Vida.

Vidal.

There you have it.

Woodward is a terrible business man, lets Ferdinand go and signs Shaw, how are we suppossed to make money when we sign players with only four letters in their surname? He needs to think of the money to be made putting stickers on the back of shirts!

Amateur! From now on we should only sign players with 8 plus characters in their surname. Rodriguez anyone? Schweinsteiger would be a dream signing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

GSPfan wrote: »
    Is Vidal not 2 syllables?

Herr-er-a

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Metro claiming United will offer Arturo Vidal a 5 year deal at £230k a week.

Claims in the Sun, United will trigger Alexis Sanchez release clause which is at £40 million...

Ed, we need more sponsor deals :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Could surely get Sanchez for cheaper then that, though I don't actually want him! Club don't really want him, he wants out. No way you pay top dollar there, if someone else wants to let them at it.

Vidal, I don't think will happen, pipe dream, could see him in a Madrid jersey next season which may save Liverpool from losing Suarez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

RobertKK wrote: »
    Metro claiming United will offer Arturo Vidal a 5 year deal at £230k a week.

Claims in the Sun, United will trigger Alexis Sanchez release clause which is at £40 million...

Ed, we need more sponsor deals :P

It would be fantastic to get vidal. He is the player we need, and have needed for a number of years. Obviously there would be stuff competition, but I hope ed does all he can to get him.

Sanchez is top notch, and another player if like to see in a united jersey. But do we need him, or if we do put in the team, who gets left out?

I mean, if he plays 4-3-3, you would think the three in the middle would be Herrera, vidal, kagawa/carrick. That leaves three up top. RVP would be a starter. The two remaining positions: rooney, mata, Chico, welbek, Wilson, Powell, Sanchez, januzaj.
    If he were to play 5-3-2, would there be a need for Sanchez?
    It will be fascinating to see how LVG handles he squad. We are a bit light in some positions, but in forward positions we have a wealth of talent already there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

kryogen wrote: »
    Could surely get Sanchez for cheaper then that, though I don't actually want him! Club don't really want him, he wants out. No way you pay top dollar there, if someone else wants to let them at it.

Vidal, I don't think will happen, pipe dream, could see him in a Madrid jersey next season which may save Liverpool from losing Suarez

Club don't want him but you'll pay top dollar because he's stormed through the group stage for Chile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

kryogen wrote: »

Utd really lack a player with pace and end product and sanchez marries the two beautifully. If he can be got without affecting other transfers then I 100% want it to happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I imagine Hernandez is going to leave this summer :( ,he needs to go for his own career.

Anderson must be in line for a return to Portugal or going by other Brazilians back home.

Bebe to Portugal.

After them I can also see Nani moving on, he has missed so much football over last two seasons I can see him looking for a change.

Anyone else likely to be leaving (not who you want to leave but actually think will)?

Also it a big year for the club to sort out contracts, De Gea for example is out of contract in 2016, time to be getting him tied down to a 5 year deal. Kahawa, Jones, Evans, Smalling, Rafael, Welbeck all with big years ahead as their contracts ar up in 16 as well. Van Persie has his contract expiring at the same time so an interesting negotiation due there.

Three of last seasons 4 midfield options, Carrick, Fletcher and Cleverley all expire in summer 15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Dirk kuyt been linked with us today in the people, thats just lazy journalism working there way threw the Dutch squad

I hope

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I imagine Hernandez is going to leave this summer :( ,he needs to go for his own career.

Anderson must be in line for a return to Portugal or going by other Brazilians back home.

Bebe to Portugal.

After them I can also see Nani moving on, he has missed so much football over last two seasons I can see him looking for a change.

Anyone else likely to be leaving (not who you want to leave but actually think will)?

Also it a big year for the club to sort out contracts, De Gea for example is out of contract in 2016, time to be getting him tied down to a 5 year deal. Kahawa, Jones, Evans, Smalling, Rafael, Welbeck all with big years ahead as their contracts ar up in 16 as well. Van Persie has his contract expiring at the same time so an interesting negotiation due there.

Three of last seasons 4 midfield options, Carrick, Fletcher and Cleverley all expire in summer 15

On top of who you mentioned, one of Welbeck or Kagawa will go if Utd get an attacking player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Dirk kuyt been linked with us today in the people, thats just lazy journalism working there way threw the Dutch squad

I hope

People take the mick that we've turned into a mid table team... But this is a new low

Chico is hurtin'
    "This whole year has been very tough," said Hernandez.

"Players need confidence, more than anything else and I’ve been very short of it. Very few people have shown faith in me over this past year."

"We have to stay very calm, very humble and not get carried away,"
    he said.

"This is just one more step forward. If we want to make history we have to beat the Netherlands"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Lot of talk of De Jong, I'd say hes next for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Poor Chico :(

Please dont go, let welbeck go instead

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Moyes really dicked Chicho around. He only gave him 5 minutes here and there at the end of games. The lad is a fantastic goal scorer and a real poacher. He deserves better than to be stuck on the bench week in week out while Welbeck gets plenty of chances yet can't hit a barn door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I really really like Chico, I mean how can you not but I just think his game is too one dimensional to ever be a starter for united or most top teams. He's a great finisher and a really nice lad but if he is not happy doing the impact sub role we should let him go.

KH25 wrote: »
    Moyes really dicked Chicho around. He only gave him 5 minutes here and there at the end of games. The lad is a fantastic goal scorer and a real poacher. He deserves better than to be stuck on the bench week in week out while Welbeck gets plenty of chances yet can't hit a barn door.

Totally agree. I really like Chico, and think he would be best leaving united. He shouldn't waste his career warming a bench.
    I'll go out in a limb here. Chelsea would have won the league last year if they had bought Chico last summer.
    A wonderful player when he gets a run of games.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if any of cleverly, Anderson, be be, wellbeck, fletcher, young or nani left.

Kagawa will certainly get another season. LVG spoke very highly of him recently, so he'll get his chance to impress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I think people are forgetting that Chico can't play football. Watch his first touch if he starts against Holland today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

duffman13 wrote: »
    I really really like Chico, I mean how can you not but I just think his game is too one dimensional to ever be a starter for united or most top teams. He's a great finisher and a really nice lad but if he is not happy doing the impact sub role we should let him go.

See he might actually be ok with that kind of role if he was used properly. Like Ole was for example. But instead he got barely any game time even when we were screaming out for goals. It was one of the things that really annoyed me about Moyes. He was seemingly afraid to drop or bench Rooney even when he was having a poor game. He also seemed to prefer Welbeck because he was English.

Hernandez is behind Rooney and RVP, thats fair. I don't think he would even argue with that. But he deserves far more than the last five minutes of a game especially when you consider the amount of important goals he has scored in the past for the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

I believe if Chico played as many minutes as Welbeck last season he would have scored more goals then welbeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

RasTa wrote: »
    I think people are forgetting that Chico can't play football. Watch his first touch if he starts against Holland today.

Yes he truly does have a terrible first touch....

Echo reporting that Sanchez fancies a move to Arsenal should he have to move

rarnes1 wrote: »

Thats mean of the Echo getting Arsenal fans hopes up like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Oh the tension!!

who will it be? Messi, Strootman, De Jong, Osman or even Cattermole, just who knows:p

TheTownie wrote: »
    Thats mean of the Echo getting Arsenal fans hopes up like that.

I don't think we're in for him. And he would obviously prefer arsenal over Liverpool. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Might be a controversial opinion on here, but given the choice between the two, I'd keep Welbeck and let Hernandez go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Oh the tension!!

who will it be? Messi, Strootman, De Jong, Osman or even Cattermole, just who knows:p

What about Osman? :)

• Advertisement

Sorry lads, this post was actually meant for Pool thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What about Osman? :)

Osman it is, then we will get this Messi fella;)

Sorry lads, this post was actually meant for Pool thread

Ah still relevant to here though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Might be a controversial opinion on here, but given the choice between the two, I'd keep Welbeck and let Hernandez go.

Depending on the system I could see both of them sold.

If its a front 3 with two wide players then neither of them are good enough in that role. If selling them both meant funding a move for Sanchez and Depay then so be it.

I'm not saying it should happen, just if it does I wouldn't be against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Happy with the signings so far, just made this as a joke to how much we've already spent compared to other seasons :P

ve90k3.jpg

Be kind I was half awake doing it ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Re. Welbeck or Chico; Welbeck has an "administrative value" (for want of a much better phrase) in that he's a home-produced player. When are the new squad quotas coming into force?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'd rather keep Welbeck, I'm hoping he has a good season to put some doubts about him to bed. He seems like a player who loves the club and wants to do well, plus he's still only young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Mr_Red wrote: »
    I believe if Chico played as many minutes as Welbeck last season he would have scored more goals then welbeck

Welbeck isn't selected for just his goal scoring ability. Would Chico have scored more goals playing out wide? Welbecks versatility and work rate are why he's a far better squad option than Hernandez. Neither should really be starting for a club with major title aspirations but Danny is a great cover option.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The frustrating thing with Welbeck is similar to Nani. It is the Foerst Gump "You never know what your gonna get",

One day he can have pace, power, good touch and eye for goal. Next he is back to the Bambi on Ice Welbeck awful touch and not a hope of a goal.

With Hernandez, if he plays consistently you know what you will get, lethal play around the box. The fact he is so reliable when played is worth an awful lot and personally I think he could play for any Club in the World.

Both Suffer from having Rooney and Van Persie at the club. As has Kagawa. United need someone ruthless to just decide on who needs to be there, SAF had his decision made that Rooney was the one to go and then he retired. Moyes decided Rooney must stay and he ended up with a new contract and he sidelined Hernandez to the point of being useless when he was needed towards end of his tenure.

I expect van Gaal to sort it out quickly, people need to go if they are not going to play enough, even if we might not like/agree about who needs to go and get a chance to play elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

People are crazy to think that we could attract Vidal.
    If he becomes available, all the major Champions league teams would be in the hunt.
    Woodward although happy with the signings has shown himself capable of getting the deal done
    in a one horse race - Mata, Shaw and herrera but competing in negotiations against other teams.
    I still think he is too wet behind the ears to pull off a major coup rivaling a CL team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Just wondering is anyone having trouble playing videos on http://manutd.com?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

If he becomes available, all the major Champions league teams would be in the hunt.
    Woodward although happy with the signings has shown himself capable of getting the deal done
    in a one horse race - Mata, Shaw and herrera but competing in negotiations against other teams.
    I still think he is too wet behind the ears to pull off a major coup rivaling a CL team

Ye sure it's just as simple as that to sign a player isn't it..

Call me deluded, or be pedantic if ye want, but I still consider United to be a major champions league team.
    We'll be back in it next year, without question.. Has every other 'major CL team' qualified for it every single year?
    If Vidal is going to leave Juventus, we have a hell of a chance of getting him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Hernandez' likeability clouds things. He carries himself well and is a class act (dare I say it probably because of his middle class background). But his first touch and "nous" just aren't up to scratch. His performance in the 2011 Champions League final said a lot - Naive running offside all evening. Definitely worth keeping as an impact sub but if he's not happy with that, he should be sold.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Call me deluded, or be pedantic if ye want, but I still consider United to be a major champions league team.
    We'll be back in it next year, without question.. Has every other 'major CL team' qualified for it every single year?
    If Vidal is going to leave Juventus, we have a hell of a chance of getting him.

I am on the crazy train too :P

I think what we could see is the blame laid entirely on Moyes feet when negotiating with players, and a line of "it was a one year blip we have already made huge strides to rectify". Players aren't stupid. They can distinguish between a bad year and an overall decline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Lads,
    Can anyone recommend some good journalists to follow on twitter to follow utd transfer news?? I'm sick of reading crap, utter rubbish in the likes of the Sun and Mirror etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Cona wrote: »
    Lads,
    Can anyone recommend some good journalists to follow on twitter to follow utd transfer news?? I'm sick of reading crap, utter rubbish in the likes of the Sun and Mirror etc.

Mark Odgen, Daniel Taylor and Ian Ladyman are some of the better and more reliable ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Cona wrote: »
    Lads,

The last week has proven that there are simply no journalists with any great insight into Man United anymore.

Andy Mitten, James Ducker, Daniel Taylor, Ian Ladyman etc. all reported transfers after other sources had broken them. I don't think the club is going to be telling journalists about deals until they are nearly complete. James Ducker is very good and does have insight into United but I don't think anything specific is going to be released for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'm a bit conflicted about the Holland Vs Mexico game today. I'm rooting from Holland for obvious reason. LVG has been masterfully and the standout manager so far for me at this WC. Holland going all the way wouldn't surprise me and they're overdue a WC win. That said, if they lose today then the Iron Tulip will take his thrown at Old Trafford. So feck it, I don't know what I want.:(

True. Manchester United is a nothing club really. Why would anyone want to play for us?
    Really can't for the life of me understand why players like rooney, Rvp, mata, shaw, Herrera, Rafael, de gae came to old Trafford. Idiots.
    :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement