Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

llbpv.jpg

Could a formation like this work if (and I know its a big "if") Vidal was bought? I know it lacks wide men but I'd love to see Rooney and RVP play up front with Mata behind.

Kagawa is a #10 or nothing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

llbpv.jpg

Could a formation like this work if (and I know its a big "if") Vidal was bought? I know it lacks wide men but I'd love to see Rooney and RVP play up front with Mata behind.

I was looking at this as if it was a shadowcomplex style fantasy line up and then I was like... sh*t, there's only one player there who isn't already at the club! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Italian media running with Vidal would prefer a move to United rather than Madrid.

FUTUREGUY GET TO IT.

Interesting if true. I figured if it came down to us and Madrid we would lose out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

llbpv.jpg

Carrick in place of Kagawa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

The mexican Herrera (Hector) has had a great tournament. very impressed with him and only 24. Bought last summer by Porto for E8M. Utd could do worse than buy him for 16-18m. Great box-to-box midfielder, tough, good at set pieces and has an eye for goal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Italian media running with Vidal would prefer a move to United rather than Madrid.

FUTUREGUY GET TO IT.

It's never going to happen. He'd never choose United over Madrid. Madrid is a much nicer city with fine weather, great quality of life and Spanish speaking people. Madrid also are reigning European champions and United are not even in European football.

To sum up, in my opinion, we are not signing Vidal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Hococop wrote: »
    Interesting if true. I figured if it came down to us and Madrid we would lose out

I doubt it's true and we would. There will be just too many better offers out there for him if he's off. Even with Champions League I'd say it would be a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Madrid could go with Kroos as he is younger and one of the best passers of the ball in the game.

United is a huge club and the best supported in the world, no CL for season is less of an issue in my opinion given this has been a WC year and players have been away for a long time.

You know we are going to hear the usual...'the players are tired after the world cup'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

FutureGuy wrote: »
    It's never going to happen. He'd never choose United over Madrid. Madrid is a much nicer city with fine weather, great quality of life and Spanish speaking people. Madrid also are reigning European champions and United are not even in European football.

To sum up, in my opinion, we are not signing Vidal

tumblr_lsb928hZLn1r3v6f2o1_500.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

llbpv.jpg

I for one would like to see us move away from the traditional wide man and try something like that system, I think it suits our ball players much better, likes of Mata or Rooney could interchange and get more joy in games....

Only thing (other than the fact we don't have Vidal fingers crossed!!!!!) Is Smalling and Jones, I can't see either of them being a starter in our best 11, I would have Evans & *insert linked CB*

But I would love to see us play that sort of system for sure, players depending of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

stooge wrote: »
    The mexican Herrera (Hector) has had a great tournament. very impressed with him and only 24. Bought last summer by Porto for E8M. Utd could do worse than buy him for 16-18m. Great box-to-box midfielder, tough, good at set pieces and has an eye for goal.

Supposedly he has quite a large buyout clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

The father just asked, "Who is the Vidal lad United are after" :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Have not been this excited since 07 summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The father just asked, "Who is the Vidal lad United are after" :(

I hadn't heard of Vidal until earlier last season when he started popping up in loads of links and rumors. I don't follow Seria A closely, but by all accounts Poga was making more headlines.

I'm not overly surprised, he's not a name thats been household for a few years, he's only really gained traction in the last what, 10 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Definitly think seeing two big enough deals go through relatively early is providing confidence we can do more.

If Kroos is on the move btw, and we don't put in for him, will be disgusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

First girlfriend? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Who would people prefer? Kroos or Vidal?

Just interested, I'd go for Kroos.

Based on what we need after signing Herrera, Vidal for me.

Pogba > Kroos > Vidal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Vidal seems a better fit after the signing of Herrera, although I just cant see either Kroos or Vidal ending up at Utd.

• Advertisement

Both, Vidal to be the creative midfielder given his scoring record and Kroos to play defensive midfielder with his excellent passing and ball distribution plus he can tackle well.

But that won't happen...

Between the two I would take Vidal because he offers more and we need a goalscoring midfielder.
    His record last season was around a goal every 200 minutes, our best last season was like a goal every 1500 minutes plus...
    If I never saw our midfield players from last season play for us again it would be a dream.
    So Vidal over Kroos but I want both because I am allowed to be greedy with money that is not my own...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Vidal for me.

All day, every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

llbpv.jpg

Not a bit impressed with that back 4. We need a top CB AND RB.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

bangkok wrote: »
    Pogba > Kroos > Vidal

In 4 or 5 years time maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I can't wait for Rafael to go into beast mode this season and convert all haters and doubters.

Pogba > Kroos > Vidal

We need someone with vast amounts of experience to protect our back 4 next year. Pogba is not that player. Not by a long shot.

Keno wrote: »
    I can't wait for Rafael to go into beast mode this season and convert all haters and doubters.

I hope he does, but he is very injury prone and referee cards are attracted to him.
    If he can at least stay fit, it would be something positive.

RobertKK wrote: »
    I hope he does, but he is very injury prone and referee cards are attracted to him.
    If he can at least stay fit, it would be something positive.

Raf and Shaw will probably make Young, Valencia and Nani (and the role of a conventional winder) completely redundant. Valencia can cover for RB.

I cannot wait for teh start of the season. I haven't been this excited in a decade!

Raf and Shaw will probably make Young, Valencia and Nani (and the role of a conventional winder) completely redundant. Valencia can cover for RB.

I cannot wait for teh start of the season. I haven't been this excited in a decade!

Yeah, I am sure it helped Valencia with the new deal that he is more than just a winger and can fill in elsewhere if needed.

Me too, can't wait till the preseason starts and MUTV will be in HD too for some really good matches, much better teams than what they had on pre-season last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Was Dirk Kuyt playing RB yesterday, i think he was. Just shows you what LVG expects of his players, that they can be versatile and willing to do anything for the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Not a bit impressed with that back 4. We need a top CB AND RB.

I'd happily trade a 5 year long midfield deficit for strong midfield and a weak back four. Bring on a season of 5-4 screamers! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

bullvine wrote: »
    Was Dirk Kuyt playing RB yesterday, i think he was. Just shows you what LVG expects of his players, that they can be versatile and willing to do anything for the team.
    Left back at the start anyway , Same against Chile.

We need someone with vast amounts of experience to protect our back 4 next year. Pogba is not that player. Not by a long shot.

no but carrick is...

left back but it was a back 5 they were playing so not as deep as a left back normally would be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

no but carrick is...

No Carrick is not. He was dreadful last season and one of the worst aspects to his game are his engine and tackling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Totaalvoetbal!

*Van Gaal double fistpump*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Pogba > Kroos > Vidal

Just no.

Vidal is probably the best CM in the world. Only one who can come close to him is Yaya Toure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yes, Toni Kroos's agent talking with Real (as I told you 6 weeks ago). Understand Bayern will only be in for Vidal IF Kroos leaves

That was from Jan Aage Fjortoft

glued wrote: »
    No Carrick is not. He was dreadful last season and one of the worst aspects to his game are his engine and tackling.

along with most players he was poor, but still a top midfielder and a perfect defensive player for united. His tackling is one of the worst aspects??!!! that has been one of his best aspects along with interceptions the last 8 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

along with most players he was poor, but still a top midfielder and a perfect defensive player for united. His tackling is one of the worst aspects??!!! that has been one of his best aspects along with interceptions the last 8 years

Carrick is not still a top midfielder. He slows the game down every time he gets the ball. Not quick enough to stop midfield runners either. Sideways passing. Must I go on...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭weisses

Started LB then moved to right back and ended up front with Huntelaar after the last drinking break

rumor is he's gonna be Goalkeeper against Costa Rica :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Carrick is not still a top midfielder. He slows the game down every time he gets the ball. Not quick enough to stop midfield runners either. Sideways passing. Must I go on...!
    He was probably the best midfielder in the league the season before... and then Moyes happened.

People have been criticising him for not being a "tough tackling" type who drives the ball forward with pace and chases down opposing wingers or pacey forwards. That has never his game though, even remotely. Carrick has always been based around cutting down passing lanes with positioning and anticipation, slowing opposition attacks to allow us to regroup after committing a lot of players forward, and always being calm amd smart in possession, particularly as he often has the ball deep in our own half, often after us having just got it back.

I'm not saying he is going to be a major player moving forward as he turns 33 in a few weeks time, and yeah if a quality option were to come available to replace him and at the right price then it might be worth considering. What I don't understand is some people carrying in like it is a massive need though, more so than a CM to control the game like Vidal, or a CB since we are so thin there. But then again, some people want us to go for Kroos and use him as a defensive mid, so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Unless he is a fan of United it's hard to see why he would pick us, not in the CL, over the European champions who will offer the same wage as us if not more and the chance to live in Madrid. He's 27 so this will probably be his last transfer

If he did pick us I'd be over the moon, finally having that leader in the middle of the pitch, superb attacking and defending

By the by, I'm not saying Carrick is finished, or should be first out the door. I just think he's in the twilight of his career. A good squad option, but we're in trouble if he's a first teamer.

Agreed. I'd be shocked if he'd make the move with no CL on offer.

• Advertisement

Unless he is a fan of United it's hard to see why he would pick us, not in the CL, over the European champions who will offer the same wage as us if not more and the chance to live in Madrid. He's 27 so this will probably be his last transfer

If he did pick us I'd be over the moon, finally having that leader in the middle of the pitch, superb attacking and defending

United is still a big draw, can pay top wages, and have LVG as manager. Also, it looks like Kroos is headed to Madrid. That means he's got a lot of competition over there. He can come to united and will be top dog. That counts for something - especially with a player like Vidal who has a big ego.

We may or not get him. Will have to wait and see. A player I think we could/should go after is Arda Turan. He is a player I admire and is a tough, leader type character. Would do well on the left side of a midfield three.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Vidal would be an incredible signing but if we signed someone like Carvalho I would still be very pleased(even at the reported buy out clause).

If we go into the new season with Herrera, Fellaini, Carrick, Carvalho as our primary options I think we would be doing very very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Agreed. I'd be shocked if he'd make the move with no CL on offer.

You'd know all about that. :)

Zico wrote: »

Exactly.

A player of that calibre will want CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Zico wrote: »

why.gif

There goes the thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.