Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

kstand wrote: »
    Kroos going to Madrid as is on the cards opens the door for Vidal to Bayern.

yes it does sadly.

I just hope we can maybe get in before Kroos leaves.

That of course is if Vidal wants to leave, and is in process of deciding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I wouldn't blame Ferguson for not signing James Rodriguez. At all.

There wasn't much of a furore over us not getting him before he's set the world cup alight, and we'll do just fine without him after he goes back to his yachts and his cars in his tax haven. In front of the huge home support of 15k people every other week...

Some (Mitch, maybe???) posted that there were concerns over his behaviour at the time he was offered to us too. Not getting him doesn't bother me at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

In LVG we trust,I was listening to the lads on Newstalk dissecting his press conference after the Mexico game and he was honest and displayed a glimpse of his tactical nouse which would make Moyes look like somebody on a FAS course.He had journo's enthralled as he went through the reasons behind dropping a player and his formation and changes later in the game.

Regarding Kroos,I don't recall him once mention that he wanted to join United,we have Herrera who'll probably be better suited to the EPL and hopefully Vidal & Carvalho playing behind him which will give us the movement & dynamism we've sorely lacked for so long now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Think we could outbid Bayern on this one and that's all that Juve will care about, it will come down to how rigid Vidal is on the no CL football thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Al Capwned wrote: »

There wasn't much of a furore over us not getting him before he's set the world cup alight, and we'll do just fine without him after he goes back to his yachts and his cars in his tax haven. In front of the huge home support of 15k people every other week...

Some (Mitch, maybe???) posted that there were concerns over his behaviour at the time he was offered to us too. Not getting him doesn't bother me at all.

+1

nobody was mentioning this 3 weeks ago.

Yes he is a fine player and POTT so far, but hindsight is wonderful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Think we could outbid Bayern on this one and that's all that Juve will care about, it will come down to how rigid Vidal is on the no CL football thing

we could offer Vidal a lot more money - for Bayern to match the money we could offer (on par with Rooney/RVP) they'd have to smash their wage structure (which they are refusing to do for Kroos). Also, maybe Vidal wouldn't be interested in playing in Germany again, it isn't long since he has played there.

Munich would have to be objective favourites for him (in a fight with us) but maybe it is possible to beat them in the battle for him. If it comes to it.

+1

nobody was mentioning this 3 weeks ago.

Yes he is a fine player and POTT so far, but hindsight is wonderful

Plus, United are (as always) being used to sell papers. It wasn't just United that turned him down, it would have been basically every top club. He would not have been just offered to United then sent to Porto when we said no. Also, he would not have got a work permit at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Al Capwned wrote: »

Well we ended up with bebe.
    I wonder though would he have developed the way he has if United had signed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

IF Kroos goes to Real Madrid and IF Vidal goes to Bayern it then opens up the chance of United going for Javi Martinez. Still young, has great experience and has been left out of his prefered midfield position (replaced by Lahm) so could be open to a move, especially if another midfielder like Vidal comes in. Could be a great option as he's obviously a great midfielder, can cover for center back and has already played midfield with Herrera before at Bilbao as well as knowing De Gea and Mata from the Spain team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

cant see vidal going to Bayern they are well covered in that area.

On the kroos thing, maybe with van Gaal he wanted to stamp his authority immediately on the squad in the same way Mourinho outcasts a big player when he goes to a club ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Independent reporting Vermaelen is set to sign for £11 million after the World Cup
    Vermaelen has been a regular feature under Arsene Wenger since joining the Gunners from Ajax for £10 million in 2009, making over 150 appearances for the club.

However, injuries and a lack of form cost him his place in the team last season and struggled to dislodge the strong defensive partnership of Laurent Koscielny and Per Mertesacker, making only 21 appearances in all competitions.

And it appears that Louis van Gaal is ready to spend in order to bring the 28-year-old to Old Trafford, with Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand both leaving the club.

According to the Daily Mail, Vermaelen will be offered a contract worth £100,000 per week, significantly boosting his current salary at Arsenal.

Given that his contract has just a year left to run, Arsenal may be tempted to cash in on the Belgium international as they did with Robin van Persie and Samir Nasri in the past.

It is understood, however, that Manchester United have been rebuffed in their attempts to sign Vermaelen so far but a deal is likely to happen after the World Cup finishes, with Belgium playing the USA on Tuesday.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-window/thomas-vermaelen-set-to-complete-11m-move-to-manchester-united-after-world-cup-30398032.html

we are not signign vermalen. Wenger was quite clear he would not do business with United again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

we are not signign vermalen. Wenger was quite clear he would not do business with United again.

It makes sense though to sell him to United. He's down the pecking order and if £11 million is true, they would be making a slight profit. If the player wants the move, then I see no reason why it won't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Managers of selling clubs are always full of talk to try save face with their fans

bato.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

thelad95 wrote: »
    It makes sense though to sell him to United. He's down the pecking order and if £11 million is true, they would be making a slight profit. If the player wants the move, then I see no reason why it won't happen.

Ah everyone will do business if the price is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Didn't Vermaelen limp off with his hamstring during the group stages? I doubt he'll be signed injured. Would rather Hummels to partner Evans at CB personally though. Wouldn't be disappointed with Vermaelen for ~11m though either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Didn't Vermaelen limp off with his hamstring during the group stages? I doubt he'll be signed injured. Would rather Hummels to partner Evans at CB personally though. Wouldn't be disappointed with Vermaelen for ~11m though either.

Id love Ronaldo and Messi too. Go on Ed , sort it out.... :pac:

Id want Hummels myself but we have to be realistic, its more than like lt not going to happen. Thats not to say it wont happen, I just dont see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Vermaelen surely isn't worth £11 million even to begin with!?

Would be disappointed if we were to go for him at a modest fee never mind that.

• Advertisement

What I have seen said is that United want Vermalen AND Hummels. Which I find surprising, but that is what I have seen said.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

It's been so long since we've had a strong midfield, I've kinda forgotten what it's like!

Same for a strong starting 11. It's probably been since 2009 that you'd have looked at the Chelsea or City starting 11 and think "ya we can take them". Last year aside we've had a good squad, but a pretty lousy starting team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

kstand wrote: »
    Well we ended up with bebe.
    I wonder though would he have developed the way he has if United had signed him.
    Let's be honest though, Bere we never signed for footballing reasons.

These Vermaelen rumours better be nonsense also. He simply is not at all worth going for. I rate him about the same as Smalling, who I am not a big fan of. It wouldn't make any sense and I wouldn't want him for eve 3mn, never mind 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I havent been this excited for a forthcoming season for along time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Would much prefer Jan Vertongen than Vermalean, younger, more versatile and a better player imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Billy86 wrote: »
    Let's be honest though, Bere we never signed for footballing reasons.

These Vermaelen rumours better be nonsense also. He simply is not at all worth going for. I rate him about the same as Smalling, who I am not a big fan of. It wouldn't make any sense and I wouldn't want him for eve 3mn, never mind 11.

Yeah agree. He had a good start to his Arsenal career but hasn't been great the last 2 seasons and signing him doesn't make any sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Didn't Ferguson say the same about Madrid? Managers are full of shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

With the way Fulham are throwing their money around,Utd should offer them Bebe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

bangkok wrote: »
    cant see vidal going to Bayern they are well covered in that area.

On the kroos thing, maybe with van Gaal he wanted to stamp his authority immediately on the squad in the same way Mourinho outcasts a big player when he goes to a club ??

If he wanted to stamp his authority, would it not make a tad bit more sense to do it to a player already playing for the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

With the way Fulham are throwing their money around,Utd should offer them Bebe.

They might take Ashley Young as a throw in with Bebe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

If he wanted to stamp his authority, would it not make a tad bit more sense to do it to a player already playing for the club?

not too many star players at the club he could have done it with apart from maybe Rooney and there was no way he could afford to do it with rooney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

bangkok wrote: »
    not too many star players at the club he could have done it with apart from maybe Rooney and there was no way he could afford to do it with rooney

I'm still not sure what effect you imagine LvG cancelling a potential Kroos deal would have on a squad of players that have probably never met the lad bar playing against him last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

nuxxx wrote: »
    Would much prefer Jan Vertongen than Vermalean, younger, more versatile and a better player imo

Just about to say the same, I think Vertongen would be an excellent signing to add to our current defensive options.

Vermalean for anywhere near £11m would be an awful transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Just about to say the same, I think Vertongen would be an excellent signing to add to our current defensive options.

Vermalean for anywhere near £11m would be an awful transfer.

The public pursuit of Vermaelen is a smokescreen I tells ya.

Did you post this an hour and a half ago, delete it, and then post it again??

Yes,that's time travel for you! The photo didn't show so I re upped it!

Tell him to fúck off down to 'ncle 'arry for a tastey wage packet to continue doing sweet f-a.

His girlfriend can stay though!

Manchester+United+Football+Club+Player+Year+e0_vd8NYDJVl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

The public pursuit of Vermaelen is a smokescreen I tells ya.

Could be or there's no risk of anyone else joining the bidding.:P

Headshot wrote: »
    I havent been this excited for a forthcoming season for along time

Seen a few posts like this, to be honest I was absolutely chomping at the bit when RVP signed and rearing for that season. City just nipping us for the title.

Was pretty geared up for that one.

Although this mass influx of potential signings is exciting in the sense we will have a pretty new looking team for the first time, in a good while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Still can't believe RVP plays for United.

Still can't believe RVP plays for United.

I'm the exact same, hard to describe, but the odd time I get the shivers or something. You nearly in your head just assosiate him with an Arsenal shirt, and here is he playing for us.

Imagine if we had him from his early twenties like Arsenal ....woof

We didn't even miss all that much, he was at Arsenal for 8 years, scored 96 goals*. At United 2 years, already has 38 goals*. He's arguably had his best years at United as it is, maybe signing him a year or two earlier would have been perfect.

*In the league, according to Wiki.

• Advertisement

We didn't even miss all that much, he was at Arsenal for 8 years, scored 96 goals*. At United 2 years, already has 38 goals*. He's arguably had his best years at United as it is, maybe signing him a year or two earlier would have been perfect.

*In the league, according to Wiki.

years? whatever about stats, last season was poor for him.

years? whatever about stats, last season was poor for him.

Fine, year. Stop ruining my rekindled bro-love affair with RVP. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Strange no big clubs being linked mangala recently. Would be a good signing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

All in good humour. Only idiots would take actual offence to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Agreed, they're in Europe and having a laugh and enjoying it.
    Good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

De Jong out for a wee bit.
    Mohamed Moallim ‏@iammoallim 11m
    Nigel de Jong misses rest of World Cup (groin inj), sidelined for 2-4 weeks, expect Blind/Clasie to assume his 'controller' duties for #NED.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭thebigredone

I personally dread the thought of Di Maria in a united shirt! Outrageously one footed, and you'd have to x-ray him to find any hint of end product!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I personally dread the thought of Di Maria in a united shirt! Outrageously one footed, and you'd have to x-ray him to find any hint of end product!

Please tell me you're joking....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Please tell me you're joking....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement