Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

@Sport_Witness

Reports that Juve have agreed a deal with Patrice Evra on personal terms. TMW and others. All a bit odd.

Doesn't make sense unless we're going after a Juve player (IMO)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

@Sport_Witness

Reports that Juve have agreed a deal with Patrice Evra on personal terms. TMW and others. All a bit odd.

Not a Juve player, the Juve player. Howiye Arturo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

@Sport_Witness

Move for Daley Blind makes sense then as he would offer cover at LB and CDM. Shaw as our only LB would be disastrous.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Evra renewed his own contract by taking up the one year option?

Maybe he wasn't sure what he wanted and gave himself more time to decide so took the contract before the option didnt exist anymore. Now if someone like Juve want him on a longer deal while United would be looking to move him on next summer or lower wages it makes sese for him to consider leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Evra renewed his own contract by taking up the one year option?

Maybe he wasn't sure what he wanted and gave himself more time to decide so took the contract before the option didnt exist anymore. Now if someone like Juve want him on a longer deal while United would be looking to move him on next summer or lower wages it makes sese for him to consider leaving.

The club exercised the extension option in Evra's deal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

glued wrote: »
    The club exercised the extension option in Evra's deal.

Oh right, I thought it was the other way around as he had to play a certain number of games for the extension to be available or something but fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Vermaelen would probably be cover for lb?

Raf32 wrote: »
    Vermaelen would probably be cover for lb?

Vertonghen and Blind would be much better options as LB cover, in my opinion.

I also think that Michael Keane can play LB if needed, although he's a CB primarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

If evra does go the juve how much do you think we would get, my guesstimate would be around 4-5 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Id be happy with Evra leaving if Blind is coming in.

A great servant to the club and a great character but hes been poison on the pitch the last three seasons.

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »
    If evra does go the juve how much do you think we would get, my guesstimate would be around 4-5 million

Don't think so. Maybe more like 1.5/2m. Then again, Woody got a very good price for Buttman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

It's been like ages since we made a signing

sweating_airplane.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd prefer Evra to stay for the year than bring in blind right now.

We already have one young full back to blend to the squad and train up. Adding a second wouldn't be a good move right now imo, and I think Evra's experience would be a help to Shaw, while Blind wouldn't offer that.

Also, having lost Giggs, Rio and Vidic as leaders on the pitch, I think keeping Evra for the season is a good idea because he is also considered to be one of the big leaders in the dressing room, we have very few of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

We already have one young full back to blend to the squad and train up. Adding a second wouldn't be a good move right now imo, and I think Evra's experience would be a help to Shaw, while Blind wouldn't offer that.

Also, having lost Giggs, Rio and Vidic as leaders on the pitch, I think keeping Evra for the season is a good idea because he is also considered to be one of the big leaders in the dressing room, we have very few of them.

+1

Evra has already signed a new deal anyway. Should be staying

Evra's Leadership < Vidal's CM ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

adox wrote: »
    Id be happy with Evra leaving if Blind is coming in.

A great servant to the club and a great character but hes been poison on the pitch the last three seasons.

yes he played 134 games in the last 3 seasons and every single game he has been poison. Cant believe the manager didn't see that and drop him :rolleyes:

May be the very reason that Van Gaal wants to move him on. The last(and possibly biggest) of the big personalities from the old guard.

The squad looks like its possibly going to get a huge overhaul in one/two windows so I can see more than enough reasons to ship Evra out.

bangkok wrote: »
    yes he played 134 games in the last 3 seasons and every single game he has been poison. Cant believe the manager didn't see that and drop him :rolleyes:

Now now no need to be so sarcastic. I do agree that he hasnt been poison but he has been on the decline.

Glad you agree.:pac:

• Advertisement

Would Evra be negotiating during the World Cup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Llana was heavily linked to Utd at one point, happy to miss out and see him sign for liverpool?

For that price yeah. There's already better players in his position at the club.
    Really liked Lallana at Southampton but I guess that will wane like the other big fish that get removed from their small ponds. A bit like the way people went off Demba Ba.

Blind can play LB and CM. He offers more than Evra at this point, and is a player for the future. I really like Evra as an individual, and he has been a great player for us, but his time at the club has come and gone. It's time to build the new Man Utd.

And basically I would packs his bags for him if this supposed transfer helps us get Vidal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Now now no need to be so sarcastic. I do agree that he hasnt been poison but he has been on the decline.

ah yea he is 33 in fairness had has played a serious amount of games never going to keep to the level of 2011 or that, rarely injured and hasn't had much competition for left back, but if he played every 2nd week can be a real asset to the team.

Also just on Shaw, Gareth Bale started out left back with Southampton and then at spurs before being moved up to left wing, I wonder do united see shaw as a replacement left winger for giggs down the line?

ah yea he is 33 in fairness had has played a serious amount of games never going to keep to the level of 2011 or that, rarely injured and hasn't had much competition for left back, but if he played every 2nd week can be a real asset to the team.

Also just on Shaw, Gareth Bale started out left back with Southampton and then at spurs before being moved up to left wing, I wonder do united see shaw as a replacement left winger for giggs down the line?

Ah just because it happened with Bale doesnt mean it will happen with every Southampton left back. Id say hes a Left Back for the foreseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

We really should break the bank for Vidal. Exactly the bite we've been lacking in midfield for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I had a dream we bought Vidal and Kroos.

man was I disappointed when I woke.

be unreal if we got Vidal. Even though I still think its odds against I sure have more belief we may pull it off after the last week or so.

adox wrote: »
    May be the very reason that Van Gaal wants to move him on. The last(and possibly biggest) of the big personalities from the old guard.

The squad looks like its possibly going to get a huge overhaul in one/two windows so I can see more than enough reasons to ship Evra out.

You could well be right, start with a fairly clean slate in the dressing room.

My concern is simply that we already lasck leadership, losing Evra in that respect would be a blow imo - especially if we aren't considering him first choice anyway.

Evra, from his interviews, really does look a player that has bought into the history of United and is very respectful of what United mean to its fans and the history of the game. I think he could be a positive influence in that respect with any new signings, especially young ones like Shaw and Herrera.

Also, while I am very critical of his performances in the last couple of seasons, I do think he would prove to be a very good squad player when playing less games, so not as knackered as he likely is now.

man was I disappointed when I woke.

be unreal if we got Vidal. Even though I still think its odds against I sure have more belief we may pull it off after the last week or so.

My dreams are never so obvious. If I dream about Man United Im usually playing with the lads and Ronaldo and Kenny Cunningham are playing too.

God im odd

Blind can play LB and CM. He offers more than Evra at this point, and is a player for the future. I really like Evra as an individual, and he has been a great player for us, but his time at the club has come and gone. It's time to build the new Man Utd.

And basically I would packs his bags for him if this supposed transfer helps us get Vidal.

If selling Evra made certain we got Vidal, I would do it. But I'm not convinced that is the case.

Blind may offer more - I don't know. I don't watch enough of Ajax to comment and I am not going to advocate signing him based on the match vs Spain - also taking into account the fact Kyut has replaced him at wing back.

We have already lost Giggs, Vidic and Rio - the losses of Vidic and Rio leaves our backline looking very immature. I just feel hanging on to Evra for one more season would not be a bad idea in the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I thought wet dreams stop when you grow up :'(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

This thread feels a bit like groundhog day.
    Vidal Vidal Vidal !

According to the Mirror he'd be interested in playing under LVG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Van Persie to be the captain if Evra leaves?

RasTa wrote: »

Would say RVP will be captain regardless.

Some reports the other day that, like LVG, RVP plans to join up with United pretty much as soon as possible after the WC finishes for him.

Evra wont be captain this year. It will surely be RVP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Some reports the other day that, like LVG, RVP plans to join up with United pretty much as soon as possible after the WC finishes for him.

Yeah I don't like that, WC finishes on the 13th July if they make it that far and the tour leaves on the 18th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

I am not a fan of forwards being captains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

rockal wrote: »
    what?? why??

what?? why??

Its easier to organize your team from a midfield and defensive position than up front.

Pele, Raul, Cantona spring to mind.... They didnt do too bad !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

what?? why??

The ability to see the entire field and therefore give direction is better suited to defenders or DM rather than some indivdual 70 odd yards away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Just realised its just over 2 weeks until the us tour :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

those duties fall to goalkeeper and cbs imo. a forward makes a good captain also. plus rvp is a fantastic player so huge respect from team mates

Just realised its just over 2 weeks until the us tour :D

That's put a smile on my face! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Pele, Raul, Cantona spring to mind.... They didnt do too bad !

Pele never captained Brazil? Did he captain his club sides?

I know where you are coming from but I don't think we have any other candidates other than Rooney, who is also a forward, and I think he'd be a crap captain.

Also, I think leadership in each area of the pitch should come from that area of the pitch. It shouldn't be for the captain to organize the defence unless he is the centre back or the keeper. no one else should be controlling the back line. Similarly a centre back and a central midfielder should be maintaining control over the midfield, not a wide midfielder, winger or forward.

Part of the reason I believe we need to sign an experienced CB - we need one to organize and control the defence and midfield lines, De Gea, Jones, Smalling, Evans, Carrick, Herrera, Fletcher, Fellaini, Cleverley etc... none of them hae that in them right now. I think DDG, Smalling and Jones have it in them to progress to that, but this season...nope, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Does a captain really organise a team though?
    It's someone who takes a toss. And to be honest it's all that it needs be.
    I don't understand why sticking an armband on someone should make a blind bit of difference to their performance or leadership qualities. I think that the media blow up the importance of who the captain of any particular team is, especially the English media.

I'm a keeper, and have captained my club and league representative teams in the past, and it never changed the way I played, or the way I organised my defence, gave instruction to other players etc. Similarly, it never matters to me who the captain of my team is. I suppose it might make a difference to younger players, but to me there should be more than one leader on the pitch, regardless of who has a black armband on. Leadership qualities shouldn't be dependant on you wearing an armband, and I would contend that if it changes your demeanour or performance, then you shouldn't have it.

The likes of van Persie, Rooney, Carrick, Evra etc. etc. (all the more senior or longer serving players, and those that command the respect of others) should all be captains on the field in any case.

Edit - I understand that some players will look to a captain for leadership or whatever, so that probably belittles my opinion, but it's personal to me.

As for RVP as captain...

I believe he has the respect of the players, he certainly has the respect of LVG (and a very good relationship). I also like the snidey element to him, one of the few players at United that will react and protect other United players, and leave a boot on someone that has been over the top on one of our lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Formal bid for Cuadrado Gazzetta thinks;
    Sport Witness ‏@Sport_Witness 2m
    Gazzetta: Manchester United have bid over €40m for Colombian star.

For... who? :o

• Advertisement

TheTownie wrote: »
    Formal bid for Cuadrado Gazzetta thinks;

mad money for him. Like him, but mad money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement