Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Does a captain really organise a team though?
    It's someone who takes a toss. And to be honest it's all that it needs be.
    I don't understand why sticking an armband on someone should make a blind bit of difference to their performance or leadership qualities. I think that the media blow up the importance of who the captain of any particular team is, especially the English media.

I'm a keeper, and have captained my club and league representative teams in the past, and it never changed the way I played, or the way I organised my defence, gave instruction to other players etc. Similarly, it never matters to me who the captain of my team is. I suppose it might make a difference to younger players, but to me there should be more than one leader on the pitch, regardless of who has a black armband on. Leadership qualities shouldn't be dependant on you wearing an armband, and I would contend that if it changes your demeanour or performance, then you shouldn't have it.

The likes of van Persie, Rooney, Carrick, Evra etc. etc. (all the more senior or longer serving players, and those that command the respect of others) should all be captains on the field in any case.

Yep, agree with this.

A lot like the England captaincy, its all a bit of a sham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Cuadrado is quality. Love watching him beat him man with ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

TheTownie wrote: »
    Formal bid for Cuadrado Gazzetta thinks;

Must say, I've been very impressed with him during this world cup. Interesting. 40 million Euro bid. Seems they've followed up on Gazetta's claim and it's not being denied.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

So again waking up to rumours saying United will make bids for Vermaelen, Hummels and De Vrij. Would love to see Hummels and De Vrij join.

I know De Vrij is Dutch so if he is linked with us it is immediately put in the : "Every Dutch player is linked with us wouldn't get my hopes up" pile but to be fair I really think that deal could happen. Club have said he is likely to leave, he can be bought for less than £10 million, young and VG seems to like him.

Also on my football manager career yesterday United sealed the deal of Cuadrado...maybe it's a sign that the rumour is true :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Cuadrado is quality. Love watching him beat him man with ease.

€40 mil is silly money though .... Could get better quality for that money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Not my money so I don't really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Pure fantasy from myself here but I've been very impressed by Juan Cuadrado of Colombia and Fiorentina. Would be more than delighted to see him brought in and he might be a little more obtainable than James :pac: He just seems to be what Valencia should be.

While I'm in here I may as well add my welcome to Herrera and Shaw, give credit to Ed and look forward to more arrivals soon :D
    Yeah I'm just reading up about him now and it seems that it's a release clause set at €40m. It's certainly far from a priority position, especially at that kind of price. Not that he's even a target anyway, just thinking out loud.

*cue a tabloid running it next week*
    TheTownie wrote: »
    Formal bid for Cuadrado Gazzetta thinks;

Heh :pac:

Just under £32million. Who do you think would be better for that type of money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I had a dream we bought Vidal and Kroos.

A bit old for wet dreams I would have thought?...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

First up, while I said I liked him, it is based only on what I have seen at the WC.

Where the feck does he play?

Looks like an attacking version of John O'Shea according to who scored.

313093.png

I can see why LVG would like him. Obviously very versatile, which would come in very handy for a coach who likes to have a few formations up his sleeve, and be able to adapt quickly as the game requires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

For that price yeah. There's already better players in his position at the club.
    Really liked Lallana at Southampton but I guess that will wane like the other big fish that get removed from their small ponds. A bit like the way people went off Demba Ba.

And that midfield genius that was snapped up from Everton last year 😉

Just under £32million. Who do you think would be better for that type of money?

Maybe your right, it could be a good buy, would like to think Sanchez or Di Maria could be better buys at around the same price if not lower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Maybe your right, it could be a good buy, would like to think Sanchez or Di Maria could be better buys at around the same price if not lower

Barcelona apparently rating Sanchez at £32million and similar rumours of a £40million tag on Di Maria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Looks like an attacking version of John O'Shea according to who scored.

I laughed too much at that. I've only seem the lad during the World Cup, but if LvG wants him, we should buy him. #InLvGWeTrust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Barcelona apparently rating Sanchez at £32million and similar rumours of a £40million tag on Di Maria.

Reports this morning Liverpool want £70m + Sanchez

Would you ever ask my left one haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

TheDoc wrote: »

Suarez without all the issues would have to be worth at least £100M considering what Bale went for last year. Then again Bale is younger and is trouble free. One more misstep for Suarez and he's going to be banned for a season.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes for £50 Million without Alexis Sanchez. I'd be surprised if Alexis Sanchez joined Liverpool without Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I would be surprised if Sanchez joined Liverpool at all. It seems like a massive step down from playing at Barca. Yes, they have Champions League football now, but it's the first season in how long? Can't see it appealing to the player.

Would love him at United though, but I reckon he'll stay in Spain. Maybe not at Barca, but in Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I would be surprised if Sanchez joined Liverpool at all. It seems like a massive step down from playing at Barca. Yes, they have Champions League football now, but it's the first season in how long? Can't see it appealing to the player.

Would love him at United though, but I reckon he'll stay in Spain. Maybe not at Barca, but in Spain.

not barca but still in spain? real Madrid? not a chance and no other team in spain can afford him, maybe Valencia but cant see him going there. most of the clubs in spain are in huge debt, a very lobsided money league with barca and real on top and all other clubs barely getting by

TheDoc wrote: »

Not worth £70Million. Never mind Sanchez, who doesn't want the move to Anfield.
    People refer to the money that Bale and Ronaldo went for, but they were both 4 years younger than Suarez is, and had no "issues", and didn't serve lengthy bans each year before their moves.
    £50 Million would be about right. Maybe they might squeeze £60Million, depending on how much Barca want the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

And that midfield genius that was snapped up from Everton last year 😉

The Everton fans won't like that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

bangkok wrote: »
    not barca but still in spain? real Madrid? not a chance and no other team in spain can afford him, maybe Valencia but cant see him going there. most of the clubs in spain are in huge debt, a very lobsided money league with barca and real on top and all other clubs barely getting by

Could change when Peter Lim finally formally completes his take over of Valencia. He could well want to make a splash or two in terms of signings.

I don't see a Sanchez part exchange deal happening for Suarez because how often do you actually see them happening? and also the player being offered in the exchange usually ends up being undervalued compared to his actual market price so I don't know if Barca would even be keen to include him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Not worth £70Million. Never mind Sanchez, who doesn't want the move to Anfield.
    People refer to the money that Bale and Ronaldo went for, but they were both 4 years younger than Suarez is, and had no "issues", and didn't serve lengthy bans each year before their moves.
    £50 Million would be about right. Maybe they might squeeze £60Million, depending on how much Barca want the player.

David Luiz went for £50m..

it all depends what his release clause is. I would imagine that it's north of £70m, I can't see John Henry accepting less unless there is nice sweetener involved. I would love Alexis Sanchez to be part of any deal but that looks unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Could change when Peter Lim finally formally completes his take over of Valencia. He could well want to make a splash or two in terms of signings.

I don't see a Sanchez part exchange deal happening for Suarez because how often do you actually see them happening? and also the player being offered in the exchange usually ends up being undervalued compared to his actual market price so I don't know if Barca would even be keen to include him.

Can't see Sanchez at Liverpool myself nor United, unless he has something sentimental going on with the club or league.
    He would have his pick of clubs across Europe if he's up for sale. The north west of England just isn't appealing to these lads, unless you're overfilling their pockets with oil money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

0028673 wrote: »

it all depends what his release clause is. I would imagine that it's north of £70m, I can't see John Henry accepting less unless there is nice sweetener involved. I would love Alexis Sanchez to be part of any deal but that looks unlikely.

The value of David Luiz's transfer should never be used as a barometer for others.
    Mental transfer altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I want moar players and I want them now, it's been 5 days since we last signed a player Ed, 5 days!!

200_s.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

For that price yeah. There's already better players in his position at the club.
    Really liked Lallana at Southampton but I guess that will wane like the other big fish that get removed from their small ponds. A bit like the way people went off Demba Ba.

Agree re the price tag. Way over the odds but he is pretty versatile. Could have offered us something in a few positions. Hopefully we ve bigger fish to fry.

The value of David Luiz's transfer should never be used as a barometer for others.

Hes a headless chicken of a player, cant understand why any one would pay that kind of money for a CB like him. Hes a liability.

One of the few things me and Eamon Dunphy agree on

0028673 wrote: »

David Luiz transfer is bizarre, and not one that should set any standard. Don't be surprised if it's part one in an exchange of players between PSG and Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

I just reckon that £50m would be a poor return for Suarez even with all his baggage..

no matter if we got a £100m for him we just can't replace the quality he gives us on the pitch but such is life

• Advertisement

Hes a headless chicken of a player, cant understand why any one would pay that kind of money for a CB like him. Hes a liability.

One of the few things me and Eamon Dunphy agree on

Something that he and Suarez have in common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

yes player exchanges never go down well with the player being exchanged, egos and all that. Player feels undervalued and usually kicks up a fuss.

remember real Madrid tried to offer us robinho when they were signing Ronaldo, robinho wasn't one bit happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

bangkok wrote: »
    remember real Madrid tried to offer us robinho when they were signing Ronaldo, robinho wasn't one bit happy

I can't say we would have been delighted with that either.

Something that he and Suarez have in common.

I dont think Suarez is a liability. His goals , skills, team work and effort out weigh his bad publicity in my opinion.

Like a modern day Cantona of sorts. Has his bad side and its truly bad, but Id have him in my team anyday

Getting off topic though, this is a United thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I dont think Suarez is a liability. His goals , skills, team work and effort out weigh his bad publicity in my opinion.

Like a modern day Cantona of sorts. Has his bad side and its truly bad, but Id have him in my team anyday

he has not got a patch on cantona

he has not got a patch on cantona

Lets be realistic, he does. 2 different players but with a lot in common.

• Advertisement

He's a liability. Cantona was becoming a serious liability at one stage, until he cleaned up his act for good. He was a model professional after his ban. Suarez has already had a couple of bans, and still went and bit a player in a world cup match. Madness.

Anyways, who'd our next signing>? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Like a modern day Cantona of sorts.

36106_nicolas-cage-laughing.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

tumblr_m2y9etz0X91r4etbjo1_500.gif

Cantona was getting it from all angles when he did his infamous kung fu kick, being called a thug and a man who couldn't control his actions on a pitch.

He had great talent and skill and backed it up with his goals and some great performances.

The comparison is a fair one. Both amazingly talented and both had their discipline problems

I think some United fans forget the bad side and only remember the good, but we were in the similar situation as Liverpool are with Luis Suarez.

Cantona was getting it from all angles when he did his infamous kung fu kick, being called a thug and a man who couldn't control his actions on a pitch.

He had great talent and skill and backed it up with his goals and some great performances.

The comparison is a fair one. Both amazingly talented and both had their discipline problems

I think some United fans forget the bad side and only remember the good, but we were in the similar situation as Liverpool are with Luis Suarez.

As I pointed out eariler, cantona got a hefty ban and turned his career around. Suarez got a couple of bans and did it again on a bigger stage.
    There's a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

New ad released for the new home kit. No reveal, just a tease

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-xaBCPz8Gs

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Please no more Suarez, it is getting in the way of rumour, drooling about the thought Vidal could move to United, false twitter postings, LVG appreciation and other United stuff like how awful the new kit is even if we haven't seen it on the players...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Anyways, who'd our next signing>? :o

Our next signing will San-dal.....
    They've gone Chile on any offers not coming directly from Ed..
    Ed's been wrapping the deals up since Saturday

As I pointed out eariler, cantona got a hefty ban and turned his career around. Suarez got a couple of bans and did it again on a bigger stage.
    There's a difference.

I see the difference, but Eric was no angel. He was my fav player growing up though.

He liked to stamp on opponents more than once and then kicked a fan. Just as bad as Suarez, though very different actions. Its debatable whether Cantona learned his lesson but its obvious Luis didnt.

I wasnt trying to derail this thread into a Luis Suarez thread, I just think that we were once in a similar situation with Eric. Ill say no more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I've put in a new chrome extension that replaces "Suarez" with "he who shall remain nameless"

On the topic of Cantona, did anyone else take Eric or any other United players name as their Confirmation name??....no...just me??! Grand :(......

God I used to love him

On the topic of Cantona, did anyone else take Eric or any other United players name as their Confirmation name??....no...just me??! Grand :(......

God I used to love him

You'd want to have seen the look of the bishop when mine was said...Schmeichel ;) :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

God I used to love him

I have a confession to make.

I took mine after a former Man City player from mid 90's who scored a winning goal against Blackburn in a time when I thought would result in United winning league.

So Blackburn won the league, I took a Man City players confession name and well the Kew Tour was anything but.

I took mine after a former Man City player from mid 90's who scored a winning goal against Blackburn in a time when I thought would result in United winning league.

So Blackburn won the league, I took a Man City players confession name and well the Kew Tour was anything but.

Hows it going Uwe....
    or is it Rosler ;)

Was that Rosler who scored it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement