Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

brinty wrote: »
    Hows it going Uwe....
    or is it Rosler ;)
    beakerjoe wrote: »
    Was that Rosler who scored it?

actually maybe your right Rosler getting the winner, its actually Paul Walsh.

*just realised he played for Liverpool too.

oh dear..

I have made better choices in my life I admit:p

Gary Walsh was not option as no Gary was a Saint back then(i think you had pick saints name)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

he has not got a patch on cantona

In a footballing sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Oh Kew, that disappoints me...
    You could've siad it was after the Guv'nor himself...Ince
    We'd never have known!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

actually maybe your right Rosler getting the winner, its actually Paul Walsh.

*just realised he played for Liverpool too.

oh dear..

I have made better choices in my life I admit:p

Gary Walsh was not option as no Gary was a Saint back then(i think you had pick saints name)

you-were-the-chosen-one-obi-wan-kenobi.gif?w=500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

We'd never have known!!!

Even Pogba, a former pool and City player.... tut tut.

Andrei was my other option.... then Ryan... you get the picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I can think of one very important distinction between the Cantona and Suarez situations.

Why did Alex Ferguson stand by Eric Cantona when many people felt that he had gone too far and should be let go? It wasn't just because he was an important player, but also because Eric Cantona had a deep and abiding love for Manchester United, he was on record many times stating how much the club meant to him and he bought into the United culture completely. Don't forget, this is the guy who retired early rather than move abroad and rekindle his desire for football elsewhere, he didn't want to play for anybody but United.

Alex Ferguson clearly saw that if he stood by Cantona there was a high likelihood that Cantona would learn his lessons, that he would make the effort to stay out of trouble and repay the faith shown. And he was right.

Liverpool are now in a similar situation with Suarez, he has been banned again and what are they going to do with him? But does anybody think Suarez has the same love and loyalty to Liverpool that Cantona had to United? No chance.

We'd never have known!!!

ya. i was only 10-11 in my defense:pac:

sorry i let you all down:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

On the topic of Cantona, did anyone else take Eric or any other United players name as their Confirmation name??....no...just me??! Grand :(......

God I used to love him

I called my young lad Eric :-)

• Advertisement

I can think of one very important distinction between the Cantona and Suarez situations.

Why did Alex Ferguson stand by Eric Cantona when many people felt that he had gone too far and should be let go? It wasn't just because he was an important player, but also because Eric Cantona had a deep and abiding love for Manchester United, he was on record many times stating how much the club meant to him and he bought into the United culture completely. Don't forget, this is the guy who retired early rather than move abroad and rekindle his desire for football elsewhere, he didn't want to play for anybody but United.

Alex Ferguson clearly saw that if he stood by Cantona there was a high likelihood that Cantona would learn his lessons, that he would make the effort to stay out of trouble and repay the faith shown. And he was right.

Liverpool are now in a similar situation with Suarez, he has been banned again and what are they going to do with him? But does anybody think Suarez has the same love and loyalty to Liverpool that Cantona had to United? No chance.

+1

and anybody who says different was either not old enough to remember, or just want to twist it.

never once back in 1995 did I fear Cantona would leave.

even Ronaldo was open enough to admit it that he wanted to play for Madrid.

it annoyed some United fans and others again tried twist that story, but I actually gained more respect for Ronaldo then when he admitted it.

at least he was honest enough to say he wanted out.

A Pool lad I know named his kid Fernando.... 6 months later he went to Chelsea.

Fail

A Pool lad I know named his kid Fernando.... 6 months later he went to Chelsea.

Fail

I know one who called his young lad Owen Michael we all know how that one worked out :-D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Saw Hummels linked with United on the basis United were ready to make an offer:

Of £20million

Jaysus if the papers are making stuff up you would think a realistic bid price would be mentioned.

How I miss the days (of last week) when signings were being made and the need to link players didn't exist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

On the topic of Cantona, did anyone else take Eric or any other United players name as their Confirmation name??....no...just me??! Grand :(......

God I used to love him

I took Eric as my confirmation too, same reason. CANTONA.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Saw Hummels linked with United on the basis United were ready to make an offer:

Of £20million

Jaysus if the papers are making stuff up you would think a realistic bid price would be mentioned.

How I miss the days (of last week) when signings were being made and the need to link players didn't exist

Could be good ol Ed low balling them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I took the names of my Grandfathers , Kevin-James,

I'm such a ****ing square.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I took the names of my Grandfathers , Kevin-James,

I'm such a ****ing square.

Looks like a they must of been the Kings of Queens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Looking at our signings, Ed doesn't really do low-balling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

sorry i let you all down:pac::pac:

Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta believes Luis Suarez The_Kew_Tour has shown humility by apologising for his confirmation name.

"Suarez The_Kew_Tour has shown he is humble enough to admit an error, which is very important," Zubizarreta told reporters.
    "He has been humble enough to apologise to those he has affected, because it happened in the middle of a festival of football Church. In this case it's the best thing a person can do."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I ve one named cody , as in Brian Cody (her choice) and one named Alex after the man himself (but she claims otherwise).

• Advertisement

Owryan wrote: »
    I ve one named cody , as in Brian Cody (her choice) and one named Alex after the man himself (but she claims otherwise).

I've a newborn on the way in the next few weeks. And have to say if I was naming the child after someone, I'd go a little higher in the echelons than footballers.

However Tiberius has been unreservedly crossed of the list.

I've a newborn on the way in the next few weeks. And have to say if I was naming the child after someone, I'd go a little higher in the echelons than footballers.

There can be only one name for this baby.

Zlatan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

However Tiberius has been unreservedly crossed of the list.

I'm in the same boat and my missus just won't warm to xavier for some reason :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

^^^bet she would if she met him:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Struggling to get my head aroudn this article...

Louis van Gaal plans to employ 3-4-3 system at Manchester United that has worked so well for Holland at the World Cup

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2677465/Louis-van-Gaals-tactical-revolution-transform-Manchester-United.html#ixzz36JkXMjQU

Firstly, they have been playing 532, no 343... but whatever...

Taking the 343 pemise (with wingbacks it would be more so 523), I don't get the player plans according to the article.

Rooney----RVP
    Mata
    Herrera--XXXXX
    ---Shaw
    Rafael
    Evans-Vermalen(?)-Jones
    De Gea

Only way I could see it actually working out - and no way would i call it a 343!

Right off the bat, we'd need more centre backs. The rumoured move for cuadrado would make sense based on the whoscored stuff I saw, has seemed to play that right wingback role a bit.

May as well sell Nani and Young - no sure where you'd fit Januzaj.

Meh, Neil Ashton, don't know how reliable he is. Looks like a kite flier.

Two words: Daily Mail.

Neil Ashton bungs out some serious muck in fairness.

He's been called up a few times by managers and players in press conferences, or elsewhere, over silly articles he wrote that were pure garbage in terms of tactics or formations, or what the plans were.

He's the dude AVB had beef with last year, over what I forget, but again might have been tactical discussion related, or something.

He's a decent host for Sunday Supplement but his actual journalistic work leaves a lot to be desired. He's probably a great read for the casual fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

F all point putting a formation to lvg. The players seem to have roles rather than positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Neil Ashton bungs out some serious muck in fairness.

He's been called up a few times by managers and players in press conferences, or elsewhere, over silly articles he wrote that were pure garbage in terms of tactics or formations, or what the plans were.

He's the dude AVB had beef with last year, over what I forget, but again might have been tactical discussion related, or something.

He's a decent host for Sunday Supplement but his actual journalistic work leaves a lot to be desired. He's probably a great read for the casual fan.

Ashton has good contacts within the game, he's often the first journo to get certain factual info. Although the info is almost exclusively Chelsea and England stuff from what I've seen. He was the one who broke the David Luiz to PSG transfer among others.

His opinion pieces are terrible though, he's a fairly poor judge on the game itself. He's very like John Cross, another one with good contacts within the Arsenal camp but has a poor understanding of the game itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Never been a big fan of the 3 CBs and especially not if two of the three were Jones and Vermaelen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Struggling to get my head aroudn this article...

Louis van Gaal plans to employ 3-4-3 system at Manchester United that has worked so well for Holland at the World Cup

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2677465/Louis-van-Gaals-tactical-revolution-transform-Manchester-United.html#ixzz36JkXMjQU

Firstly, they have been playing 532, no 343... but whatever...

Taking the 343 pemise (with wingbacks it would be more so 523), I don't get the player plans according to the article.

Rooney----RVP
    Mata
    Herrera--XXXXX
    ---Shaw
    Rafael
    Evans-Vermalen(?)-Jones
    De Gea

Only way I could see it actually working out - and no way would i call it a 343!

Right off the bat, we'd need more centre backs. The rumoured move for cuadrado would make sense based on the whoscored stuff I saw, has seemed to play that right wingback role a bit.

May as well sell Nani and Young - no sure where you'd fit Januzaj.

Meh, Neil Ashton, don't know how reliable he is. Looks like a kite flier.

I would dread to see that system employed in the Premier League and think it would have to be a very carefull balanced side before it would actually work. Would prefer LVG to know the side better before he goes down that route.

Think he will likely play 4-5-1 with the wingers pushing up to form a three upon attack and one of the middle men also pushing up during an attacking phase as a number 10.

I'm sure we all remember how it went when we experimented 3 at the back when Quiroz convinced Fergie to give it lash, disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Whenever I think of 3 CBs in the Premiership I think of Newcastle and Liverpool in the mid '90s.

Peacock -Albert -Howey

Wright/Ruddock - Scales - Babb

Comedy gold.:)

LVG is never going to make that mistake, not with Smalling -Jones -Evans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Liverpool played 3 at the back a lot this year with 2 wing backs, gerrard being the deep lying midfielder that basically played as a centre half, worked well for them..until may that is

Also I think LVG has been using the new system this World Cup to help the less then stamina friendly legs of Sneijder and RVP. Their team doesn't have blistering pace outside of Robben, so I think it makes sense in that climate to operate a more narrow formation that can nip the ball back and then launch a stinging counter attack. It's been really effective for Holland thus far.

But I don't think you would bust that out week in week out in the premier league. I'd say if the WC was on in a European climate, we'd see the more coveted LVG 4-3-3, I get the feeling what he's using is what he's tailored specifically for that climate and tournament ( which is really impressive btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Juventus are a team that have used the 3-5-2 to very good effect over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

20 million for Hummels you say?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxGJBQ5BQEI_N0K2mIXwqAX9Dpb9Yk1P2ZLxtTw19vPpPKcMYi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Blatter wrote: »
    Juventus are a team that have used the 3-5-2 to very good effect over the last few years.

Not so much in Europe but that obviously won't have an effect on United this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

37218_crowdclappingawards.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Insulting bid for Hummels.

What bid? :confused:

Well apparent bid...

Kinda hoping Netherlands get dumped out so LVG can go and clear out the dross.

At least gimme a link or something here, c'mon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Been messing around with formations but could something like this work? Arrow for Valencia should be straight, just a mistake

28qpumc.jpg

MagicIRL wrote: »
    At least gimme a link or something here, c'mon!

Tabloid stuff, wouldn't take any notice of it. Along the lines of United table 20million take it or leave it bid for Hummels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I like how valencia is running to the bench in that formation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

ShaneU wrote: »

hahaha! :pac:

Got a good laugh out of that

ShaneU wrote: »

Before cutting onto his trusty left foot

Tabloid stuff, wouldn't take any notice of it. Along the lines of United table 20million take it or leave it bid for Hummels

How is it insulting if its only "tabloid stuff"??

If there was truth in it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement