Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shooting in balbriggan

Options
  • 13-06-2014 12:17pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/balbriggan-shooting-1515189-Jun2014/
    GARDAÍ HAVE BEEN called to a shooting outside a gym in Balbriggan this morning.
    The gym confirmed that gardaí are present at the scene but would not comment further on the situation.

Initial reports suggest one man has been injured after receiving two gunshot wounds to the chest.

The incident occurred after 11am today and the victim has been taken to hospital.

The gym is located in the same retail park as a play centre for children.

Being from the town, this makes me f**king sick... these guys should all be thrown in prison forever.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Unfortunately this sort of thing seems to happen often nowadays, and can happen anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

According to RTE News, victim was

Known To Gardai.

Shot 4 yrs ago in Bettystown

Facing a CAB Bill of Euro 1M.

my sympathy wanes.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0613/623584-balbriggan-shooting/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Fair point Martin but the fact remains that somebody saw fit to shoot somebody else at 11 in the morning right beside a kids play center and outside a gym where people who had no dog in the particular fight could have been caught up in the crossfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Yes, I of course agree P_1, its a disgrace that this could happen where innocent bystanders could get hurt or worse

My comment regarding a lack of sympathy, extends to the victim in this case, not the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Unfortunately, he's expected to survive.

This sort of thing is worrying when it starts happening on your (or anyone else's for that matter) doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Garda 'copter flying over the town, probably looking for an abandoned getaway car

blastman wrote: »
    Unfortunately, he's expected to survive.

Enough of that. Regardless, the man is someone's dad, brother, son, whatever...

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Wonder how it will affect the gym. Would imagine it will lose customers now that people are aware of what type of people are using the gym

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Wonder how it will affect the gym. Would imagine it will lose customers now that people are aware of what type of people are using the gym

Possibly but the fact that its really the only game in town might mitigate that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

There was an even higher profile figure using that gym up until a recent attempt on his life caused him to move to abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Every gym will have its fair sure of dodgy characters. It really shouldn't have any effect.

There was an even higher profile figure using that gym up until a recent attempt on his life caused him to move to abroad.

Any link to this?

Any link to this?

Link to what?

Link to what?

any web page where I could read about this?

any web page where I could read about this?

Not something that I imagine was written about but something that I saw myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

tHB

Well said,how about the same for the mods on this thread? it seems they can say what they want.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057216757

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Gumble01

col.in.Cr wrote: »
    Well said,how about the same for the mods on this thread? it seems they can say what they want.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057216757

If you have a issue with something in the motoring section you should try contacting the mods there or there is a report button

tHB

People caught in the crossfire are also someone's brother, six year old son, whatever, they generally weren't put in it by their own actions, though.

Moving on...

blastman - You are here long enough to know not to comment on mod action on-thread. If you have an issue - PM me.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

another one this morning on Clonard St

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/man-shot-dead-in-balbriggan-30614601.html
    A man has been shot dead in Balbriggan, north county Dublin this morning and his partner has been wounded after dropping their child to school.

The incident happened this morning on Clonard Street in the centre of the town

The man was shot four times. His partner was also shot in the leg after they dropped their child to school. The suspected attacker was seen driving away at speed.

It is believed he was shot a number of times and it is believed that he was walking down the street when the attack happened.

Gardai believe the shooting could be linked a to a traveller feud.

The area has been sealed off for technical examination and local gardai are awaiting the arrival of forensic experts from the gardai technical bureau at Garda HQ in the Phoenix Park.

The body remains at the scene and the office of the State Pathologist Dr Marie Cassidy has been notified.

Here we go again... <Mod snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Morpheus wrote: »

Believed to be linked to a feud that has been going on outside the school in recent months. Why they would choose to target someone close to a school is beyond me, but then again a lot of what these gangs do is beyond me.

Knowing the name of the dead person, this won't be the end of it, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Hopefully thats the end of the feud then.

califano wrote: »

Yeah, because killing someone has historically signalled the end of a feud....

There's a big family involved, this is hardly going to be the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

blastman wrote: »
    Knowing the name of the dead person, this won't be the end of it, either.
    califano wrote: »

Wouldn't say so if the number of people down at the incident right now is anything to go by ... (courtesy of herself who is down the town at the minute)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Have both sides of the feud got kids in Peter and Pauls ? . or is this related to yer man in Drogheda ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

I dont know. I cant comment on this as I would definitely be banned for my thoughts and recommendations on how to deal with these f**king people. There's a lot to be said for the old fashioned way of doing things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Morpheus wrote: »
    I dont know. I cant comment on this as I would definitely be banned for my thoughts and recommendations on how to deal with these f**king people. There's a lot to be said for the old fashioned way of doing things.

Sometimes there is.

By the sounds of things victim was no saint but did they really have to do him in right outside a school minutes after he dropped his kid off? Makes no sense, broad daylight, loads of witnesses. Why not try to get him alone? Or abduct him and do it out in the sticks somewhere. I don't get it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement