Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs: handling customer returns

Options
  • 13-06-2014 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Sorry I'm not sure if this is in the correct forum.

I have a customer in USA who bought an item from me and returned it to be fixed. I'm ready to send it back but I don't want my customer to get hit by import duty again for the same item. Anyone know what the procedure is here? I use parcel2go.com for shipping so I can't speak to the freight company directly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I think your only option will be to refund it after they have paid.

"Duty cannot be pre-paid by the sender (duty can't be paid until the duty rate is assessed by a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer.) This can't happen until the item actually arrives in the U.S; it can only be paid by the recipient."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/199/~/duty---recipients-of-gifts-mailed

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

The problem is that they have already paid the duty on it the first time. I'm sending it back to them after it has been repaired and I don't want them to be hit for duty on the same item a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

It appears there is no way round it really I think you'll just have to let them know that you will cover the duty but they will have to pay it initially and then you'll send them the money for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's probably too late to send you to this now but it might come in useful next time:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/377/~/duty-on-goods-purchased-overseas-being-exported-for-repair,-alteration,

If you can include proof that the goods were only exported from the US for repair, that may help. Also mark the package as zero value warranty replacement/repair.

Advertisement