Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance Learning MBA.

Options
  • 13-06-2014 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi All,

I’m considering undertaking a distance learning MBA. I’ve narrowed it down somewhat and at the moment I’m looking at the offerings from the Open University MBA (3 years) and Heriot-Watt University MBA via Edinburgh Business School/Griffith College Limerick (2 years).

Apart from the difference in time taken to complete these MBA’s the two other major differences are cost and accreditation. The Open University’s offering works out at twice the price (roughly €23,000) of Edinburgh Business Schools MBA (roughly €11,500). The other difference is accreditation – Open University is triple accredited - AACSB, Amba, Equis while Edinburgh Business School doesn’t hold any of these accreditations which they explain on their website - http://www.ebsglobal.net/programmes/accreditation

As things stand I will be funding this MBA myself so cost (value for money) is an issue – that’s not to say that the Open University MBA is out because of the cost but if can ultimately gain the same qualification at half the cost then I’m going to investigate that option! Would it be accurate to say that the fees at these different institutions reflect what accreditation they hold?
    How much emphasis do employers/company put on this accreditation? Are they likely to value an MBA graduate from a triple accredited institution more than one from one that’s not triple accredited – all else being equal with the graduate?

I’d be interested in talking to anyone who has completed the MBA offering from Edinburgh Business School/Heriot-Watt University to get their view on it.

I’d also be interested in hearing from anyone who has completed an MBA and their experiences on how much emphasis prospective employers put on what institution they gained their MBA from! Thanks

Advertisement