Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Advice

Options
  • 13-06-2014 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Hey I've spent the last few days reading the threads and have decided to take the plunge. Ive done some winbow shopping on Homebrewwest and the homebrewingcompany and have come up with a shopping list.

2 Fermentation buckets homebrewwest.ie/brewferm-fermentation-bucket-30-litres-graduated-with-airlock-tap-and-bottle-filling-stick-1040-p.asp
    Hydrometre
    Paddle
    Caps
    Capper

I am trying to start out as cheap as possible and I know I dont need 2 fermentation buckets but it sounds easier having the 2. My question is is there anything else I need to start out or is that enough to start?

I am thinking of getting the Coopers Canadian Blonde and Ginger Beer to start out.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

No need for a paddle IMO. That link includes a bottling stick. You wont need two of those, so one of the one you linked and one of these would do you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Definitely get a paddle, IMO. You'll need to stir the hell out of the mixture as you put it together and a paddle is ideal. Get a trial jar and a spirit thermometer as well so you can take accurate gravity readings.

If you're planning to transfer beer from one bucket to the other at any stage you will need a siphon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Thanks for advice guys.

Beernut is a siphon necessary was planning on transfering between buckets to do the batch priming but could I not just use the taps. I have added the trial jar to my shopping list. Will one of the adhesive thermometers do or would I need a regular one(I havent read up on the testing side of things yet).

I use a tube with the taps. It's bad news to just pour between them using the taps on their own as the splashing introduces oxygen which can add off flavours towards the end of a brew (oxygen at the start = good, at the end = bad).

Thanks Kannie. Siphon adding to shopping list.

Another question for my first brew probably Coopers Canadian Blonde thehomebrewcompany recommends using 1kg of spraymalt vs using brewing sugar, will this make a huge difference to the end product as the spraymalt will cost nearly 2/3 the price of the kit or am I getting this wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

BeerNut wrote: »
    Definitely get a paddle, IMO. You'll need to stir the hell out of the mixture as you put it together and a paddle is ideal.

I opted to use a long paint/plaster mixer attachment for a cordless drill - ensures you get a thorough mix without much effort or time. Just needs to be sanitised like everything else that comes in contact with the beer. No infections to date.

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    Thanks Kannie. Siphon adding to shopping list.

I don't like the siphon myself. You can get a plastic tube that you just attach to the tap. That's my preference. BeerNut loves his siphon. :)
    Another question for my first brew probably Coopers Canadian Blonde thehomebrewcompany recommends using 1kg of spraymalt vs using brewing sugar, will this make a huge difference to the end product as the spraymalt will cost nearly 2/3 the price of the kit or am I getting this wrong.

Spraymalt will result in a much nicer end product.

Will one of the adhesive thermometers do or would I need a regular one(I havent read up on the testing side of things yet).
    The adhesive ones are handy for keeping an eye on the temperature of the batch as a whole. To get accurate hydrometer readings you need to know the temperature of the sample, so a spirit thermometer is needed there. It's not essential, but it's worth having, IMO.
    thehomebrewcompany recommends using 1kg of spraymalt vs using brewing sugar, will this make a huge difference to the end product as the spraymalt will cost nearly 2/3 the price of the kit or am I getting this wrong.
    With kit brewing in general you get what you pay for, qualitywise. I would definitely recommend using spraymalt all the way in place of sugar. I would also avoid very pale kits like the Canadian Blonde or any of the "lagers", especially first time out. Darker beers -- ales and stouts -- work much better from kits and won't show mistakes as clearly as pale ones do.
    Khannie wrote: »
    BeerNut loves his siphon.
    Hate the bugger, but I trust it. Can't say the same about taps. Dirty things.

Was doing the Canadian Blonde as the girlfriend might drink that but wont go near the ales or stouts. Will probably start with ginger beer so and move on to a ale. There is no recommendation of what sugar/spraymalt to put with the ginger beer is there anything extra I should be getting with this kit.

Going to put in my order over the weekend, hopefully wont take too long to come.

Any other hints or tips would be great.

There is no recommendation of what sugar/spraymalt to put with the ginger beer is there anything extra I should be getting with this kit.
    For any 1.7kg (single can) kit, use a kilo of spraymalt.
    Any other hints or tips would be great.
    1. Never read the instructions. They'll steer you wrong on almost everything.
    2. Ignore the bubbler, it doesn't tell you anything useful.
    3. Don't rush the beer out of the fermenter. Give it at least two weeks; four or five is fine too if you think it needs it.
    4. Make sure fermentation has stopped completely (ie your gravity readings are steady, several days apart) before you bottle.
    5. With every part of every piece of equipment ask "Is this sanitised?" before it touches wort or beer.
    6. DO NOT read the instructions.

• Advertisement

I think what he's trying to say is: The instructions are great

/runs

The instructions are great
    You should definitely follow them, to the letter, for all your beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

My advice - don't concern yourself too much about sanitisation, people freak over it but in 10 batches I haven't had a single off batch. You'd swear people were doing a combination of spacecraft construction and brain surgery they way they go on about it. Make sure the stuff you'll use is clean obviously, but don't arse around with bleach or anything like it.

My advice - don't concern yourself too much about sanitisation

My advice is to ignore this advice. The disappointment of pouring a lost batch down the drain (I've had to do it twice) is cripping compared to the effort involved in sanitising properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

My advice - don't concern yourself too much about sanitisation, people freak over it but in 10 batches I haven't had a single off batch. You'd swear people were doing a combination of spacecraft construction and brain surgery they way they go on about it. Make sure the stuff you'll use is clean obviously, but don't arse around with bleach or anything like it.

IMO I think that is a conclusion each home-brewer should come to themselves. While I do agree people will freak over it the first few batches (Myself being one - the lengths I went to for my first batch..:pac:) there's still no harm being over cautious while one develops good sanitizing habits. You'd almost be better off having an over meticulous approach with sanitizing on your first batch than having an "ahh sure it'll be grand" approach, to only find you've spoiled the beer in 5 weeks time.

A good tip if you're not using a no rinse sanitizer (Especially like VWP that usually comes with you're first equipment kit) is boil a kettle full of water (I let it boil twice, but I think that's my own OCD) - as soon as that is done , pour the boiling water into your plastic fermenter (DON'T DO IT IN A GLASS CARBOY OR SIMILAR) along the sides of the fermenter. Put the lid on over half way, leaving a small bit open for steam to get out. Carefully swirl the boiling water around the fermenter, having the open segment of the lid facing away from you and your hands as steam will come out of this rapidly, using the boiling water to rinse and sterilize anything you missed the first time around.

Oh and in case the lads didn't make it clear, Don't follow the instructions!

Let us know how you get on!

Thanks everyone. Just got my kit and gear I just need to empty some more bottles before I make the leap and brew my kit.

I ended up getting reusable rubber bottle caps as they were a cheap alternative for the moment. Has anyone had experience with these? I plan on wrapping most of the caps in tape to ensure a seal for the first brew and leaving 1 or 2 without tape to test them. Is the only risk at this stage losing the carbonation or could the beer still get infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

My advice is to ignore this advice. The disappointment of pouring a lost batch down the drain (I've had to do it twice) is cripping compared to the effort involved in sanitising properly.

reading these forums, a lot of brewers who are meticulous about sanitising still get the odd bad batch. Ive generally taken a fairly slack approach and haven't had any problems - I think luck plays quite a large part...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Good luck with your brewing! :D

I just started a couple of weeks ago two, brewed some St. peter's ruby red (amazing) and also some coopers' sparkling ale (conditioning as we speak).

I have a couple of newbie questions too though if yous could help...(hope I haven't hijacked your thread OP)
    1. Wine
      I'm brewing Sadler's House Red, followed the instructions to the letter but somehow ended up with 25.5 litres instead of four, is this ok? Also, theres a sachet that says OAK (30mg) but there's no mention of it on the instructions or on where I should use it? Anyone know?
    2. Temperature for Beer
      I want to brew more Ruby Red Ale, but my heater is currently in the wine carboy. Do you think if I left the FV in the hotpress the beer would still ferment ok?

Hi Folks

Well my first beer is brewing its a Silver Cap Burtons Bitter I did it up yesterday. I cant wait to taste it.

I ended up using Milton to sanatise everything and then washed it down with cold water I hope this will be ok?

It will probably be about 3 week before I can bottle it will this be an issue?

Lastly has anyone experience with the reusable plastic caps are they any good?

Thanks again for any help

It will probably be about 3 week before I can bottle it will this be an issue?
    That's fine. Just make sure you have consistent gravity readings over several days before you bottle, to be sure fermentation has finished. But in this weather, three weeks should be sufficient.

• Advertisement

Thanks Beernut

On the Fermentation Bucket I got there is no tap will it be ok to open the bucket to take samples for the gravity test I have seen people recommending to not open the bucket until the end. I know I will have to make sure anything I dip in is fully sanatised.

will it be ok to open the bucket to take samples for the gravity test
    Yes. The lid is just there to stop stuff falling in.

Just to keep anyone interested updated.

I went for a basic fermentation bucket with none of the gigs and reels for my first brew, so when I got home last night the lid had popped up so I pushed it back down, I then repeated this 6 times before I went to bed, its very satisfying knowing the fermentation process has well and truely started.

Just to keep anyone interested updated.

I went for a basic fermentation bucket with none of the gigs and reels for my first brew, so when I got home last night the lid had popped up so I pushed it back down, I then repeated this 6 times before I went to bed, its very satisfying knowing the fermentation process has well and truely started.

You can leave it slightly ajar, once it's covered. If you keep pushing it down like that you'll probably carbonate it a bit (probably not good news during fermentation).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Beanstalk wrote: »

[*]Temperature for Beer
    I want to brew more Ruby Red Ale, but my heater is currently in the wine carboy. Do you think if I left the FV in the hotpress the beer would still ferment ok?
    [/LIST]

Your house should probably be in or around 20 degrees at the moment. Mine is. So pretty much anywhere should be fine for fermenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

loyatemu wrote: »
    reading these forums, a lot of brewers who are meticulous about sanitising still get the odd bad batch. Ive generally taken a fairly slack approach and haven't had any problems - I think luck plays quite a large part...

Once you get one contaminated batch, you massively increase the population of that kind of microbe in your brew area. You are more susceptible to a follow up infection.

Your equipment can build up spores in hard to clean areas like airlocks, fermenter lids, airlock bungs, fermenter taps and siphon/bottling gear.

Also while your beer may be fine coming out of the FV, it may not be fine going into the bottle, nothing is as annoying as dealing with a whole batch of gushers.

Infection risk increases as you increase your brewing. Always have a spray bottle of No-Rinse sanitiser to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

sharingan wrote: »
    Infection risk increases as you increase your brewing. Always have a spray bottle of No-Rinse sanitiser to hand.

I really need some star-san:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Beanstalk wrote: »
    1. Wine
      I'm brewing Sadler's House Red, followed the instructions to the letter but somehow ended up with 25.5 litres instead of four, is this ok? Also, theres a sachet that says OAK (30mg) but there's no mention of it on the instructions or on where I should use it? Anyone know?

This turned out just fine! :D 12.39% as well and really, really nice. I never thought home brewed wine could be as nice as more expensive bought bottles but it really is!

My brew has now been in the fermentation bucket for just over 2 weeks. I took my first hydrometer reading today and I think it came out as 1.008 this seems very low have I done something wrong. I plan on taking another reading tomorrow and then bottling if it hasn't changed

• Advertisement

Kits will sometimes go that low. How did it taste?

Advertisement