Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Tesco clairehall have a small range of kits and equipment

No yeast though

More4less Killbarrack are doing a milton substitute for 1.50 a litre

This time tommorow i shall have my first brew on:D

40 pints Bitter

5 litres apple and blueberry cider (tesco not from concentrate)
    5 litres Apple And mango cider (same)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

It tastes bitter at the moment, so far not something I would enjoy drinking, will it improve. Also is there any way of increasing the alcohol content at this stage

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    will it improve.
    Most probably, depending on your taste in beer.
    Also is there any way of increasing the alcohol content at this stage
    None that are advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Sparks43 wrote: »

More4less Killbarrack are doing a milton substitute for 1.50 a litre

Here's a cheap Milton substitute
    Thin bleach
    The same volume water

Or :use half as much thin bleach as Milton. It's half the strength of Milton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Hi Folks

Well my first beer is brewing its a Silver Cap Burtons Bitter I did it up yesterday. I cant wait to taste it.

I ended up using Milton to sanatise everything and then washed it down with cold water I hope this will be ok?

It will probably be about 3 week before I can bottle it will this be an issue?

Lastly has anyone experience with the reusable plastic caps are they any good?

Thanks again for any help

If you are talking about these yes they are fine
    https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/coopers-pet-caps-25-pack-p-971.html

Wouldn't reuse the caps that come with any normal drinks bottles though. For the sake of peace of mind I use the Coopers ones on my plastic bottles. Eventually you should make your way towards glass fliptops. Reusable, environmentally friendly and hold the fizz in when resealed better than plastic and make bottling day that bit easier to bear.

Good luck

• Advertisement

Well my first batch of English bitter has been in the bottle for over 1 week now I never knew 2 weeks could take this long. My next batch already in the fermenter is a Turbo Cider with a summer berry juice thrown in, which should be perfect for electric picnic

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

I never knew 2 weeks could take this long.
    We've all been there!

Will the current heat adversely affect the fermentation of my cider. Im keeping it in my coolest room but its all nearly the same at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Sorry to Hijack... but did my first batch at last weekend. An extract stout kit from Home Brew Company. This one. https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/hbc-extract-extra-irish-stout-23-litres-p-1729.html

I was worried in the heat, that it would be too much. I have it in a dark place under the stairs but its still 23-24c all the time. I thought it might kill the yeast.

Anyway... I just did a test and its working away fine. In fact I think its stopped fermenting already but I need to do further tests again.

Temp Corrected (for 24c to 20c) http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv_calculator.php
    Original: 1.051 Specific Gravity
    Final: 1.011 Specific Gravity

Alcohol By Weight: 4.2 %
    Alcohol By Volume: 5.3 %

So should I bottle it soon? I had a quick taste and it was really nice, which I'm surprised at so soon. I did try the wort just to see when I made it - my god it was horrific. Amazing the transformation.
    Oh and how long in the bottles usually for stout? 2-4 weeks or so?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Will the current heat adversely affect the fermentation of my cider.
    Wouldn't have thought so.
    So should I bottle it soon?
    I'd give it at least two weeks in the fermenter.
    Yep, same as any beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Usually stout improves with age, the longer the better,

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

I made this back in March. I tried the bottles after two weeks, but it was still very young tasting. I would definitely leave it 4-6 weeks. I have a few bottles left so I must make it again soon

So I tried a bottle last night not really drinkable. There was still a very bitter after taste and there wasnt much of a flavour to enjoy. Its been in the bottles for 2 and a half weeks is there still hope for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Ah yeah, give it another while. Is it not sweet enough perhaps?

edit: I see from the other thread that you're taking a test from the fermenting bucket? That always tastes filthy. It needs *at least* two weeks in the bottle.

Khannie wrote: »
    Ah yeah, give it another while. Is it not sweet enough perhaps?

edit: I see from the other thread that you're taking a test from the fermenting bucket? That always tastes filthy. It needs *at least* two weeks in the bottle.

I added 1kg of brew enhancer, which the guy i bought from said would be enough at the brew stage. I then primed each 500ml bottle with tea spoon of sugar. I would think it would be sweet enough after all this.

I took the test from the fermentation bucket but everything was sterilised. Its been in the bottle now for over 2 weeks and there has only been a slight improvement in the taste from when I bottled.

I added 1kg of brew enhancer, which the guy i bought from said would be enough at the brew stage. I then primed each 500ml bottle with tea spoon of sugar. I would think it would be sweet enough after all this.

Not at all, unfortunately. It's no wonder that's not nice.

The sugar you added has been fermented out so all that sweetness has gone. The brew enhancer adds dextrose (also all fermented out, so no sweetness) and maltodextrin (not fermented, but doesn't add sweetness according to wikipedia). You need to add something that wont ferment. The best bet is usually splenda, but it doesn't dissolve well in the glass. in this instance I'd say pop 3 tesco everyday sweeteners or the lidl "cologran" into a pint glass and pour the cider on top. Wait for them to dissolve (about a minute) then drink. Add another one if you want it very sweet.

Cider usually benefits from longer in the bottle. 2 weeks is the balls to the wall bare minimum IMO.

Khannie wrote: »
    Not at all, unfortunately. It's no wonder that's not nice.

The sugar you added has been fermented out so all that sweetness has gone. The brew enhancer adds dextrose (also all fermented out, so no sweetness) and maltodextrin (not fermented, but doesn't add sweetness according to wikipedia). You need to add something that wont ferment. The best bet is usually splenda, but it doesn't dissolve well in the glass. in this instance I'd say pop 3 tesco everyday sweeteners or the lidl "cologran" into a pint glass and pour the cider on top. Wait for them to dissolve (about a minute) then drink. Add another one if you want it very sweet.

Cider usually benefits from longer in the bottle. 2 weeks is the balls to the wall bare minimum IMO.

Sorry Khannie we got our wires crossed. I have a british bitter in the bottle that I brewed a few weeks ago and has now been in the bottle for 2 weeks. Doesnt taste nice and very bitter after taste.

My turbo cider is still in the fermentation bucket should be bottling that early next week. I have 2 litres of apple juice if my order arrives or the aldi version of splenda to prime with if I have to bottle from the fermentation bucket.

My main concern at the moment is my bitter, I havent tasted the cider yet.

AAAah right. :D

You had me very worried at the start of the post.

Advertisement