Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Dimension PC powering off

Options
  • 13-06-2014 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

I have a Dell Dimension PC running Windows XP which was working fine until a couple of days ago. However now when I power it up, it runs for about 5 seconds and then powers straight off again. It appears to be starting up normally i.e. Dell logo and startup appears etc. however it just powers off again after about 5 seconds.

I have replaced the power cable with a new one but the problem is still occuring. I spoke to a Computer technician who said an electrical component on the motherboard has probably failed and that it would not be viable to repair the machine given its age (8 years).

Before I consign it to the server room in the sky just want to check if there is anything else I can do with it.

Thanks
    Corbomite1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Worth checking for fluff and renewing the thermal paste

Advertisement