Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer lagging or not responding

Options
  • 13-06-2014 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

About 3 or 4 days ago I noticed this problem with my computer. Before that I had moved it from the ground onto the shelf above it. Other than that the only major thing I had done was installed Civilization IV.

The first thing I noticed was that it wasn't shutting down properly. It would get to the screen where it says "Shutting Down" and would just seem to load for ages. I left it for several hours yesterday and it did shut down but when I don't know. Either way it takes infinitely longer than it did before (and shutting down had gotten pretty fast since I installed an SSD a few months back.)

Since then I've noticed that certain applications and tasks just are not responding. I tried to uninstall Civ IV in control panel but when I selected it nothing happens. Then I tried to delete it manually using "regedit" but, again, nothing happens when I click it and after I do the Start Menu no longer works until I restart the PC.

I ran a virus scan using AVG but nothing showed up. However, when I ran the Fix Performance scan it showed a lot of registry errors and junk files. It recommend that I download AVG TuneUp to fix them. I downloaded it but when I went to install it it just didn't seem to be able to and the installation bar just stayed at the start saying "Preparing Files". I then cancelled it and again it took several minutes to do anything. A window came up to say "Removing Files" (which apparently hadn't been installed) and again that just say there for several minutes before I lost patience and cancelled it. Again though, the window just stayed there saying "Cancelling" and not actually doing anything.

I had a issue with the harddrive several months ago but I had that fixed and I'm using a SSD instead now. Games, Steam, browsers and other stuff like that seems to work fine but some fundamental things just don't seem to be working.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

I've never used AVG tuneup, but would recommend ccleaner over it.

Could you post your spec?

HDD Space (space left on the disk):
    RAM:
    Processor:

You could do a routine maintenance, ccleaner & malewarebytes. Or built-in disk cleaner. Check installed programs (do not have more than one anti virus installed). Also, ensure you're running a decent AV program (check http://www.av-test.org/en/home/ to compare programs).

Also, tap F8 when the machine boots up to go in to safe mode to run the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

I've never used AVG tuneup, but would recommend ccleaner over it.

Could you post your spec?

HDD Space (space left on the disk):
    RAM:
    Processor:

You could do a routine maintenance, ccleaner & malewarebytes. Or built-in disk cleaner. Check installed programs (do not have more than one anti virus installed). Also, ensure you're running a decent AV program (check http://www.av-test.org/en/home/ to compare programs).

Also, tap F8 when the machine boots up to go in to safe mode to run the above.

HDD Space is 232GB with 150GB free and I'm using a Samsung 840 Evo. I have 8GB of RAM and my processor is an AMD Phenom II x4 955.

I'll try ccleaner now but my PC seems to have a problem with installers and uninstallers.

Edit: The Ccleaner installer worked fine so I'm not understand why the AVG TuneUp one just did nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Lago wrote: »
    HDD Space is 232GB with 150GB free and I'm using a Samsung 840 Evo. I have 8GB of RAM and my processor is an AMD Phenom II x4 955.

I'll try ccleaner now but my PC seems to have a problem with installers and uninstallers.

Edit: The Ccleaner installer worked fine so I'm not understand why the AVG TuneUp one just did nothing.

On the safe side, I'd boot in to Safe Mode and try to uninstall AVG TuneUp.

There's a step by step guide here (which also has an uninstaller tool).

Advertisement