Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retained firefighter & Famliy income supplement

Options
  • 13-06-2014 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Im looking for information on weather or not any retained firefighters in Ireland get Family Income Supplement(fis). Im looking to apply for this but I wouldn't have enough hours work in a week to get it. Would my on call hours be counted in my hours worked. Any information would be very much appreciated. It's hard enough on the little money we get a a hard job we do

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tintin8

Retained ff get job seekers benefit because they work less than 20hrs a week. It's €188. Been on call does not count as hours worked in the dole office eyes even tho it is in reality for the firefighter.
    So you get paid your retainer every 3 months .
    Paid for calls every fortnight and ur dole every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I recently started in retained brigade and was claiming jobseekers allowance, but recently i was means tested again and my money is down to 64euro a wk , will i be able to get jobseekers benefit instead, i just about have the minimum prsi contributions from last year, i cant live on 64 quid a wk, the woman in social welfare office isnt very helpfull at all,i just want to know if id be entitled to it, she wanted me to get either my p60 or something that showed my prsi contributions from last year, i got that from council today,she said i might be able to she would have to see???

Any info lads?? ^^^^^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭123kid2014

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Any info lads?? ^^^^^^^^^

In order to qualify for benefit of €188 per week the role office look back two years and u need stamps for the whole year they look at. If there's a break in stamp or say u weren't paying stamps two years ago u won't get it.

When I was retained I had to wait two years for benefits because I didn't have enough stamps.

U are entitled to it if u have the stamps

I don't have any stamps from 2 years ago, I was told I would need at least 13 contributions from last year which I have, to have any chance, Im gonna head down to citizens information office see what they say

• Advertisement

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I don't have any stamps from 2 years ago, I was told I would need at least 13 contributions from last year which I have, to have any chance, Im gonna head down to citizens information office see what they say

Ok well maybe it's changed since I went for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lonfire1

Im looking for information on weather or not any retained firefighters in Ireland get Family Income Supplement(fis). Im looking to apply for this but I wouldn't have enough hours work in a week to get it. Would my on call hours be counted in my hours worked. Any information would be very much appreciated. It's hard enough on the little money we get a a hard job we do

Hi there.. I'm sure you are entitled, a buddy of mine got it and he is retained, has a full time job and the fire service. He has kids and his wife obviously doesn't work or they wouldn't be entitled to it. Go too citizens information in your area ... They will tell you all you need to know .
    Hope that helps you !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moderator comment:

Please refrain from using text speak in the forum.

Thanks,

-Shield.

123kid2014 wrote: »
    In order to qualify for benefit of €188 per week the role office look back two years and u need stamps for the whole year they look at. If there's a break in stamp or say u weren't paying stamps two years ago u won't get it.

When I was retained I had to wait two years for benefits because I didn't have enough stamps.

U are entitled to it if u have the stamps

lonfire1 wrote: »
    Hi there.. I'm sure you are entitled, a buddy of mine got it and he is retained, has a full time job and the fire service. He has kids and his wife obviously doesn't work or they wouldn't be entitled to it. Go too citizens information in your area ... They will tell you all you need to know .
    Hope that helps you !

I used to get it and my wife worked full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lonfire1

123kid2014 wrote: »
    I used to get it and my wife worked full time.

Don't think his wife could as he worked part and full time...

• Advertisement
Advertisement