Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction work at pitches in Westside

Options
  • 13-06-2014 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Does anybody know whats happening there?

I live across the road in an estate, annd all I can see is them doing the same thing all the time but not much progress.

Whats going to be in there?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Go across and enquire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Does anybody know whats happening there?

I live across the road in an estate, annd all I can see is them doing the same thing all the time but not much progress.

Whats going to be in there?

Few issue with some of the locals are delaying things.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

Few issue with some of the locals are delaying things.

Delaying what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The major heavy machinery work is finished, I was talking to one of the workers there yesterday and they are now laying out the walkways and running track, there were about 15 guys working near the small hill there marking out stuff etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The major heavy machinery work is finished, I was talking to one of the workers there yesterday and they are now laying out the walkways and running track, there were about 15 guys working near the small hill there marking out stuff etc.

But what's going on there? Are there new pitches being put down or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya the work is pretty much done now just loose ends to be tied up and then its all ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Storm 10 wrote: »

Anybody know if this is natural?

Ya the work is pretty much done now just loose ends to be tied up and then its all ready.

All ready for what? What's the plan for the whole place? New soccer pitches? Anyone?

Pity about the graffitti on that lovely rock but that's westsiders for you. No sense of civic pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

bobbyss wrote: »
    All ready for what? What's the plan for the whole place? New soccer pitches? Anyone?

Pity about the graffitti on that lovely rock but that's westsiders for you. No sense of civic pride.

I saw aplan years ago to redevelop all those pitches and tennis courts. Could be part of that. Too wrecked to check the planning website but may be worth a look

I saw aplan years ago to redevelop all those pitches and tennis courts. Could be part of that. Too wrecked to check the planning website but may be worth a look

There is great scope to do a good job with all that space and openness there. here's hoping the council have done a good job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bobby, one more attempt from you at smearing a whole part of the city and you'll be banned from this forum.
    Cop on.

biko wrote: »
    Bobby, one more attempt from you at smearing a whole part of the city and you'll be banned from this forum.
    Cop on.

Apologies, but no smear intended.

It is greatly disheartening to see a development with so much potential for good being dragged down by someone or some people who have no civic pride. Anyone who pollutes the city with graffitti clearly lacks civic pride, any responsible adult will concur with that sentiment. It is a pity there is no cctv to identify the people responsible.

I have no idea how much money it would cost to have graffitti cleaned up but if those responsible were caught they should be dealt with severely.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

There is graffiti in practically every suburb in Galway and any other city for that matter, no need to single out Westside for having no 'civic pride'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

To answer the OP's question, the City Council took a part of St. Michaels GAA pitch during the widening of the Seamus Quirke Rd. This made the pitch too narrow to play official GAA matches, and the council agreed at the time to move the pitch once the SQR works were completed.
    Due to massive budget overruns, the council tried to renege on the deal, but eventually agreed after local pressure.

dilallio wrote: »
    To answer the OP's question, the City Council took a part of St. Michaels GAA pitch during the widening of the Seamus Quirke Rd. This made the pitch too narrow to play official GAA matches, and the council agreed at the time to move the pitch once the SQR works were completed.
    Due to massive budget overruns, the council tried to renege on the deal, but eventually agreed after local pressure.

I see. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The running track is looking well. Not a fan of the ugly galvanised kissing gates that are being installed but apart from that scheme looks to be coming along well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The running track is looking well. Not a fan of the ugly galvanised kissing gates that are being installed but apart from that scheme looks to be coming along well.

Are kissing gates being installed on access routes to the new playground (which looks fab, btw)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

The playground and exercise stations look promising as well. Getting pretty close now, any ideas when it's meant to be complete?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

The playground and exercise stations look promising as well. Getting pretty close now, any ideas when it's meant to be complete?

I originally heard it was suppose to be August, so running a little late. The pitches wont have grass on them for this year by the look of it though. It's really looking well, just hope it'll be looked after and used to its full potential.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Are kissing gates being installed on access routes to the new playground (which looks fab, btw)?

Yes. There are more access points than previous - but all have kissing gates. A nuisance for wheelchair users and those pushing prams. No sign of any bike parking been installed on the perimeter. Plenty of space to put in racks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

running track looks good, I wonder will it be open access for the public? or will it be fenced off eventually .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Yes. There are more access points than previous - but all have kissing gates. A nuisance for wheelchair users and those pushing prams. No sign of any bike parking been installed on the perimeter. Plenty of space to put in racks.

Well done Galway City Council. Keep those pesky families on bikes out of the park.

Or maybe it's to encourage them to take even more exercise?

day6-4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Youngrun- what makes you think it may be fenced off? I hope not, I've been looking forward to the track opening up for ages now. Is there talk of it not being for public use? I'd be very surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Youngrun- what makes you think it may be fenced off? I hope not, I've been looking forward to the track opening up for ages now. Is there talk of it not being for public use? I'd be very surprised.

The running track will be for public use and I am sure a few running events there, looks great best track in Galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Back in the day on the dangan track i remember bike and scrambler races on the track,plus dogs, buggies etc ..all of which destroy the track surface gradually...! .. Thats why I was wondering would it continue to be open access. Looks fantastic, anyone know what the opening date is for the park etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I'm curious about the "woodhenge" structure by the playground. Looks like it's meant to be a circle of swings they forgot to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Looking forward to seeing the park opening. Any ideas on the open date? It must be soon...

Sniipe wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing the park opening. Any ideas on the open date? It must be soon...

Probably have to ask one of the local Cllr's. Nothing on Galway City Council Website about it.

Advertisement