Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESP v NED 20.00 hrs BBC1/RTE2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

RVP is such a moaning preeee ick.

Roben.....words fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,647 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

5-1 to Holland I thought I read the result wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Ireland beating Italy?

That came to mind just after I posted it and I couldn't be ars*d editing it.

Maybe, just maybe it's an arsenal thing, but I really hate that Robben pr1ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

robertxxx wrote: »
    Maybe, just maybe it's an arsenal thing, but I really hate that Robben pr1ck.

Very punchable face alright, Great player.

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Very punchable face alright, Great player.

I've got a yellow for that!! .......for "personal insult" J.O.K.E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Personal abuse rules are supposed to protect posters.....but the mods take insulting millionaires we will never meet as the same thing. It's crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Kirby wrote: »
    Personal abuse rules are supposed to protect posters.....but the mods take insulting millionaires we will never meet as the same thing. It's crazy.

This forum would be pretty much unreadable if it was any other way. It would be wall to wall c*nts, pricks and ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

D.I.S.G.R.A.C.E.F.U.L

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Do not question moderation on-thread. Posts will be deleted and cards/bans given.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Absolutely bizarre game. it could very easily have been a 2-0 win for Spain had Silva put his chance away.

Holland were ruthless on the counter, but I'm not convinced by the 3 at the back. Both the penalty and the Silva chance came about by getting wide of the right of the 3 centre backs. They seem to defend quite narrow, and if you can turn over their ball quite quickly, I think they're vulnerable on the counter.

Can't belive how naive Spain were. Once they went 2 down they should have shut up shop and taken their beating. They're after putting themselves in a position where they could be bollised if it comes to goal difference. Holland could easily have put 7 past them tonight.

I can't feckin wait for Spain v Chile now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

This forum would be pretty much unreadable if it was any other way. It would be wall to wall c*nts, pricks and ****.

It is at times :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Spain were so naive.

Kept getting caught on the break.

Where the hell was Busquets? Pits his job to defend against that,

Taking off Alonso was a huge mistake too.

In the next game they need mata, ddg, Torres and Martinez to start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Are Fifa doing blood tests for drugs at this world cup?

Slightly off topic I know

nuxxx wrote: »
    Are Fifa doing blood tests for drugs at this world cup?

Slightly off topic I know

Slightly...?

• Advertisement

Sacramento wrote: »
    Slightly...?

Yeah it is off topic. I was reading old threads here from 2012 (when Armstrong etc got caught) about doping, with mainly Barcelona and Spain being accused. I`ll take it to the main world cup thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well if the Spanish players are taking drugs, they arent doing them much good!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well if the Spanish players are taking drugs, they arent doing them much good!

Not saying they are, but I find it strange how badly they've dipped in the last 2 years compared to the level they played before. Same with Barcelona. Not suited to this thread anyway, shouldn't have brought it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think it might just be the case that their most important part of the team, the midfield, is getting older and are not finding it as easy to hassle and chase down the opposition as they used to. Add to this the likes of Xavi and Iniesta (and a lot of other Spanish players) have hardly had enough breaks from football over the last 3 or 4 tournaments. This, and time, is probably catching up with them.

And if you look tonight at how Holland played against them, it was like watching Spain from a few years ago, harrassing the opposition and not letting them settle on the ball. I think tactics adapt and teams learn how to counteract the Spanish/Barca style of football, and I think this is what is happening.

Would Spain be worth a sneaky €50 to win the WC now? I'm sure their price will have taken a big dip since that result.

I agree with what you said there but I myself believe there are other factors as well. I know I'm not the only one on this forum who shares similar curiously about Barca and Spains Dominance in recent years

I wouldn't back them, can't believe how bad they were tonight. They were unrecognizable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Ride me sideways was another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

As Steve Wilson said on BBC commentary, "not even an octopus or turtle could have predicted that result!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Delighted for Spain the diving bastaaaaaddddss

That result was a breath of fresh air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Like RTE's audio, Spain are always a second ahead, they know exactly what's going to happen no matter which of their players are on possession. Iniesta, Xavi, Silva in midfield, it's a joy to watch.

They knew exactly what was going to happen and couldn't stop it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

nuxxx wrote: »
    Not saying they are, but I find it strange how badly they've dipped in the last 2 years compared to the level they played before. Same with Barcelona. Not suited to this thread anyway, shouldn't have brought it up

Not saying they're not on drugs but age explains your questions fairly simply.

OT again but see Barca's now deleted comments about Fabregas leaving - zero class, none whatsoever.

Edited: here it is fwiw. Really sticking the boot in. So much for the prodigal son and all that Barca DNA

'But despite glowing starts to each campaign, Cesc’s contributions to the cause gradually decreased as each season drew to a close. From being someone who joined in with the attack, supplying and scoring goals, the magic tended to fade later on in each season. He only scored one, six and one goals in the last 24 games of each season. For some reason, he was never as good in the second half of a season as in the first.'

gosplan wrote: »

OT again but see Barca's now deleted comments about Fabregas leaving - zero class, none whatsoever.

Edited: here it is fwiw. Really sticking the boot in. So much for the prodigal son and all that Barca DNA

'But despite glowing starts to each campaign, Cesc’s contributions to the cause gradually decreased as each season drew to a close. From being someone who joined in with the attack, supplying and scoring goals, the magic tended to fade later on in each season. He only scored one, six and one goals in the last 24 games of each season. For some reason, he was never as good in the second half of a season as in the first.'

Where was that written?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

That appeared on the Official Club Website - as part of an official press release ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Where was that written?

The official statement about him leaving on the Barca website.

The official statement about him leaving on the Barca website.

Jaysus, poor form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Holland's aggressiveness and non chalance at being 1-0 down to the reigning champs is what impressed me most about them.

I can't take anything away from them. However, Spain were pathetic in how they threw in the towel at 3-1. That is not the kind of attitude one should expect from a team that has won the last 3 major tournaments.

They can bounce back if Del Bosque can get it together (Costa and Casillas should not start another game in this tournament). They should still qualify comfortably if they can as having watched Chile last night, they are no where near the dark horses others have made them out to be.

The Dutch were class but I wouldn't read too much into last night's scoreline as the gutlessness Spain displayed was embarrassing. Del Bosque needs to give them a proper kick in the hole to be frank after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Holland's aggressiveness and non chalance at being 1-0 down to the reigning champs is what impressed me most about them.

I can't take anything away from them. However, Spain were pathetic in how they threw in the towel at 3-1. That is not the kind of attitude one should expect from a team that has won the last 3 major tournaments.

They can bounce back if Del Bosque can get it together (Costa and Casillas should not start another game in this tournament). They should still qualify comfortably if they can as having watched Chile last night, they are no where near the dark horses others have made them out to be.

The Dutch were class but I wouldn't read too much into last night's scoreline as the gutlessness Spain displayed was embarrassing. Del Bosque needs to give them a proper kick in the hole to be frank after that.

Holland were great last night. Their intensity all around the field was similar to Bayern last season against Barca with the ruthless counter-attacking style. Tactically they were spot on. Van Gaal changed the system to 3-5-2/3-4-1-2 to suit the players he had available and due to Spain's lack of width it gave Blind the opportunity to act as a second playmaker. Robben and Van Persie were superb throughout and tortured the Spanish centre halves with their off the ball movement and willingness to run in behind.

The capitulation for Spain started right after they replaced Alonso with Pedro. From then on they were eviscerated through the middle of the field because Xavi and Busquets aren't mobile enough to cover their defense.

There's a point at which Spain should have shut up shop and tried to hold a 2-1/3-1 defeat and for that you need Alonso.
    Realistically it could have ended 6 or 7-1 after that change and the group could come down to goal difference. Why go gung ho?

Going on last night I'd agree Casillas and Costa would be lucky to start another game.
    De Gea must start the next game (on form) while Costa showed he's a liability in a pressure cooker game (against Chile he will be antagonised to get a reaction). They also seemed to be forcing a lot of through balls just because Costa was in the team. Fabregas or Villa would be a better fit for them.

I can also see Koke and Javi Martinez being brought in for Xavi and Pique.

The lack of pace/mobility by Spain last night was shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Everyone knows about the honesty and fair play of the Dutch, it's steeped in their history

Tell that to the Indonesians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Everyone knows about the honesty and fair play of the Dutch, it's steeped in their history

Tell that to the Indonesians.

The Indonesians

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Spain were so naive.

Torres won't fix much.

On Busquets, The Dutch played it over his head, from wide positions to get the lead at 2-1, it was the centre backs that messed up there not him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Spain were so naive.

None of those will be starting, BBC were criticising Casillas, he was only at fault for 1 goal when the game was already over, he made a couple excellent saves too. Busquets, Pique and Ramos won't be replaced but need to play a lot better. Torres? Costa played ok, definitely still rusty after his injury but as the game progressed he started to look more comfortable.

Astonishing result, it will hurt Spain but I still think they are capable of bouncing back. The Chile game should be an epic.

Hopefully Chile can beat Spain too. I think they will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

murpho999 wrote: »
    Fair to say that tonight is the most shocking result since Cameroon beat Argentina in Italia '90?

Senegal beating France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I don't. Spain have played bad before, not to that level but bad enough, and come back strong. A reshuffle of the deck perhaps, even if not I'd be inclined to say that Chile have very little chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

The Chile that played last night won't if Del Bosque sorts it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

2R50fHE.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Lost a few quid cos of this match last night, usually I'd be pissed but watching a game like this was magical. Top class stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

A great night for football

Have never understood the amount of hate out there for Spain. They've been a joy to watch for the last six years or so. I for one hope they bounce back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd love if Chile beat Spain.

The idea of Spain not making it out of the group stage would be glorious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

trashcan wrote: »
    Have never understood the amount of hate out there for Spain. They've been a joy to watch for the last six years or so. I for one hope they bounce back.

I think a lot people, me included, find them incredibly boring to watch. 400 uninterrupted passes and then they slot it home. Yaaaaaay.

Plus they've been so far ahead of everyone else for so long that every game they play is like watching a training match, no thrill and no competition. Just them, mercilessly grinding opponents into submission.

Was delighted with the result last night. Holland were fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

tigger123 wrote: »
    I think a lot people, me included, find them incredibly boring to watch. 400 uninterrupted passes and then they slot it home. Yaaaaaay.

Plus they've been so far ahead of everyone else for so long that every game they play is like watching a training match, no thrill and no competition. Just them, mercilessly grinding opponents into submission.

Was delighted with the result last night. Holland were fantastic.

I thought they were a lot more direct last night with Costa up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

niallo27 wrote: »
    I thought they were a lot more direct last night with Costa up front.

Ah yeah, I mean the style and system they played over the past number of tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

trashcan wrote: »

They win almost every knockout game 1 nil. What's to like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Spain had no pace at all last night and absolutely nothing going on down the right,they should have started like this
    Casillas
    Azpi - Pique - Ramos - Alba
    Busquets - Alonso
    Pedro - Iniesta - Silva
    Costa

This would have allowed more width instead they fell right into LVGs trap with De Jong working as the destroyer hassling the likes of Xavi,Busquets, they were so predictable always passing on the left allowing the Dutch to counter attack with force.

Casillas also shouldn't even be in the squad he was only played for sentimental reasons quite clearly the lack of gametime affecting his decision making it should be De Gea in goal next match with Reina backup no question Xavi is another who should'nt be a starter against a big or medium sized team he offers nothing imo Alonso and Busquets are far more important in the middle.

Costa also does not suit the Spanish team at all he's more of a counter attacking player which A.Madrid have employed all year, I would make use of Villa and Torres more as it was hopeless direct balls all night to Costa is seemed like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement