Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan

Options
  • 13-06-2014 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

Planing to move to Navan from Dublin with the family and looking for a house to buy in around places like Limekilnhill,Athlumney or Johnstown. Would really apreciate your input about these areas,nearby schools,shops,traffic etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

I don't live directly in those areas but as for shops, there is a huge shopping centre in Johnstown, the town centre in Navan is few minutes away by car. Others would be able to respond to questions on schools etc, the traffic can be heavy at peak hours but it's generally fine and can't be compared to the traffic in Dublin where we've lived before.
    The only thing is, you will need a car if you want to see anything nice outside Navan. There's plenty of beautiful places to go, Dalgan Park or Battle of the Boyne site for walks, even the Ramparts but you need your own transport for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bostonbabe

Johnstown has a new primary and secondary school, shopping centre and plenty of green area around and is a walkable distance into navan town which makes it appealing to live in but it is quite a big development. Athlumney is a more attractive estate but also more expensive and i wouldnt be mad about Limekiln. Maybe you should consider renting for a while to get a feel for the place and see what appeals to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AndyZ

Bostonbabe wrote: »
    Johnstown has a new primary and secondary school, shopping centre and plenty of green area around and is a walkable distance into navan town which makes it appealing to live in but it is quite a big development. Athlumney is a more attractive estate but also more expensive and i wouldnt be mad about Limekiln. Maybe you should consider renting for a while to get a feel for the place and see what appeals to you.

Thanks for your reply. I'm just looking around at a few places at the moment so still not sure what we are doing. But what's wrong with Limekiln? Is it considered a rough area or is close enough to one? It seems nice when you drive around it apart from the setlement at the start of it or is that the whole problem then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Best thing I can suggest is to spend a bit of time in the town and see which parts interest you. There are many primary schools dotted about the place. Secondary schools are also spread apart (although that's news to me about a new secondary school in j-town but no surprise as it's needed there!)

Shopping centres are plentiful for the town and well spread apart: Navan shopping centre, Birds supervalu and the j-town supervalu each have many shops if you're ever stuck.

Doctors house in Abbey centre, besidethe shopping centre. There's also one in Blackcastle which is generally quiet.

Trafficwise, usual rush hour traffic is the norm. Going past Academy st to Mercy is a bottleneck at half 9. Likewise with the Proudstown road, back to Mileage tyres at school time. But sure isn't it the way with most towns and schools? ;)

Nightlife is plentiful, with something like 40 odd pubs in the town (last time I counted anyway) never a dull moment when out and about. Cash machines are also in plentiful supply if you're stuck

Lots of outdoor activities to choose from, Tara is only a few minutes outside the town and has a lovely cafe. Dalgan park is also a nice place to walk round. There's new park on the Windtown road, as well as the ramparts. Lots of other activities with many pitches dotted about, pool, pitch and putt, athletic track and a race course/golf course all nearby

Like I said at the start, take the time to look around and see what interests you. Source: 24 odd years living in the proximity of the town!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AndyZ

dgt wrote: »
    Best thing I can suggest is to spend a bit of time in the town and see which parts interest you. There are many primary schools dotted about the place. Secondary schools are also spread apart (although that's news to me about a new secondary school in j-town but no surprise as it's needed there!)

Shopping centres are plentiful for the town and well spread apart: Navan shopping centre, Birds supervalu and the j-town supervalu each have many shops if you're ever stuck.

Doctors house in Abbey centre, besidethe shopping centre. There's also one in Blackcastle which is generally quiet.

Trafficwise, usual rush hour traffic is the norm. Going past Academy st to Mercy is a bottleneck at half 9. Likewise with the Proudstown road, back to Mileage tyres at school time. But sure isn't it the way with most towns and schools? ;)

Nightlife is plentiful, with something like 40 odd pubs in the town (last time I counted anyway) never a dull moment when out and about. Cash machines are also in plentiful supply if you're stuck

Lots of outdoor activities to choose from, Tara is only a few minutes outside the town and has a lovely cafe. Dalgan park is also a nice place to walk round. There's new park on the Windtown road, as well as the ramparts. Lots of other activities with many pitches dotted about, pool, pitch and putt, athletic track and a race course/golf course all nearby

Like I said at the start, take the time to look around and see what interests you. Source: 24 odd years living in the proximity of the town!

I did look around the town and it looks really nice i have to say. I then drove around a few different housing estates from which i'd say Johnstown seems to be the most appealing at the moment.

Thanks again for all of your info,it's been really great and really helpful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement