Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unable to update to 8.1: automatic repair loop

• 13-06-2014 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,523 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

My laptop is originally a windows 7 one, I upgraded to 8 whenever it came out. Had never had issues, and had reinstalled OS at least once previously. I had Linux installed as a dual boot and decided last week to reinstall just windows. I downloaded the windows 8 iso and used that to clean install, no issues. When I downloaded the 8.1 update from the store though I got stuck in an automatic repair loop and I can't get into the OS proper unless I use safe mode. I have tried installing 8 a few times, I cleared my disk entirely (it had been partitioned) and still no joy. I reinstalled windows 7 (went fine), upgraded to 8 (also fine) but when I updated to 8.1 it broke yet again.

Any ideas? Ideally I'd like to be able to repair the install I have now, but if I need to reinstall I'll do that too...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,688 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you've tried taking linux out of the equation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,523 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Overheal wrote: »
    you've tried taking linux out of the equation?

Ya, I wiped the harddrive completely, so the linux install was blown away. I did actually re-install linux yesterday, I was stuck with only being able to get into safe mode in windows, but while in safe mode I was able to download an ISO for ubuntu and installed that, so at least I had a booting computer.

I did try a less legal route to install windows, it seemed to work okay. Am at work now, will check later this afternoon. If it did work, I will be switching the keys to my own one, very annoying if that was the only solution that did work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

i have a similar problem reguarly after doing a factory restore on a windows 8 laptop and progressing to 8.1 The trick is to immediately turn off automatic updates and clear out the update cache. Restart. now search for updates and only select three at a time (i organise by type leaving .net 4 till last). Works every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,688 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That sounds painfully time consuming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,523 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Jesus, that sounds like a pain. In the end I went with leaving laptop running windows 7, I can't be bothered pissing about with the laptop at this stage. Annoying, but what can you do?

• Advertisement
Advertisement