If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convince me to replace my rear projection tv!

Options
  • 13-06-2014 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I have a 9 year old samsung rear pro 42" that's still going strong but have been considering replacing it. We currently have sky+ HD (box got replaced due to lightning damage) but are considering leaving sky as we don't use it anymore tbh. We have no other aerial comming into the house.

I was chatting to someone about freesat that's built into some of the tvs where we could just plug our sky dish into the tv then receive freesat, there dosnt seem to be a great selection on these tvs though. Am I right if I cancel sky I will still receive the same content on the sky box that I would through the tv or is this different! As if it's the same I could get any tv and just use my existing box as a freesat.

We're happy to stay around the 42" Mark for tvs and we're not bothered about having 3d or a smart tv as we're looking to link a PC upto it anyways.

Any advice would be appreciated

Brett

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hillson wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I have a 9 year old samsung rear pro 42" that's still going strong but have been considering replacing it. We currently have sky+ HD (box got replaced due to lightning damage) but are considering leaving sky as we don't use it anymore tbh. We have no other aerial comming into the house.

I was chatting to someone about freesat that's built into some of the tvs where we could just plug our sky dish into the tv then receive freesat, there dosnt seem to be a great selection on these tvs though. Am I right if I cancel sky I will still receive the same content on the sky box that I would through the tv or is this different! As if it's the same I could get any tv and just use my existing box as a freesat.

We're happy to stay around the 42" Mark for tvs and we're not bothered about having 3d or a smart tv as we're looking to link a PC upto it anyways.

Any advice would be appreciated

Brett
    Hi Brett,

Thanks for getting in touch :)

Sounds like it's time for a nice upgrade.

Freesat isn't as common in TVs now as it use to be.  The only real manufacturers still building Freesat into their TVs is Samsung and Panasonic on their high end models.  You will find that some TVs will have a satellite input so you could use your Sky dish to pick up Free to Air stations.  

Unfortunately when Sky cut their service off the box is pretty weak for content.  There is only a handful of channels so I wouldn't really recommend it.  

If you wanted a TV with a Freesat tuner built in check out the Samsung UE40H7000.  This is one of Samsungs top screens. Excellent picture quality and an impressive list of features, some you may not use if you have a PC connected.  Still handy to have in my opinion.  The main thing is the Fressat tuner so just connect your Sky dish in and you're good to go.  Check the link below for more info:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue40h7000/sams-ue40h7000

Let me know what you think of the above :)

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Hillson

I like the twin tuners in that one, but the price it too high

I was thinking around 800 euro max for the price range.

Does free sat give a better picture than a digital arial as I have no issues chucking one of them up myself if there is no differnce.

I like the twin tuners in that one, but the price it too high

I was thinking around 800 euro max for the price range.

Does free sat give a better picture than a digital arial as I have no issues chucking one of them up myself if there is no differnce.
    Hi Hillson,

It is fairly expensive, stunning screen though.

For €748.75 you could check out the Samsung UE40H6410.  Another cracker TV, also has your Freesat tuner built in :)  Check the link below for more info:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue40h6410/sams-ue40h6410

A satellite is much better, I've come across hardly any interference with a satellite.  You can also get a few extra stations going Free to Air so it's the way to go if possible.  

Chris 

What price would the SAMSUNG UE46F6500 work out at in euro delivered as this looks like a good price, is there much difference between this and the 6410.

Thx

What price would the SAMSUNG UE46F6500 work out at in euro delivered as this looks like a good price, is there much difference between this and the 6410.

Thx
    Hi Hillson.

Unfortunately the 46F6500 has now finished. All the F series screens have now came to and end and been replaced with the H series.

This link shows the difference between the two versions:
    http://www.richersounds.com/compareproducts

They are very similar in spec.

• Advertisement

Ate there no SAMSUNG UE46F6500 left, there still showing on the web site

Ate there no SAMSUNG UE46F6500 left, there still showing on the web site
    Hi again,

It's a last few to clear product so unfortunately when stock is gone, it's gone.  We've none left at all :(

Apologies.

Chris

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.