Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barking dog in Charlesland

Options
  • 13-06-2014 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hey guys. I live in the corner of Charlesland <MOD SNIP> and there is a very annoying dog constantly barking in the back yard all the time. You know which dog... Please don't give any private addresses or other information, that might expose the address. I have tried to talk to the owners, have asked them not to bring the dog outside. If you also suffering from this <SNIP insert dog description here>, please send me a PM. I am going to raise a complaint and it would make more sense, if it would be a group one. Don't post any private info here, just PM me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

nightrave wrote: »
    Hey guys. I live in the corner of Charlesland <MOD SNIP> and there is a very annoying dog constantly barking in the back yard all the time. You know which dog... Please don't give any private addresses or other information, that might expose the address. I have tried to talk to the owners, have asked them not to bring the dog outside. If you also suffering from this <SNIP insert dog description here>, please send me a PM. I am going to raise a complaint and it would make more sense, if it would be a group one. Don't post any private info here, just PM me.

This has been done to death on here by me aswell as many others users...

It's pointless, you'll only get shot down by dog lovers that'll tell you to wear ear muffs whilst trying to sleep.

I myself are a dog lover, sure, I have one myself..
    Differance is, I respect other neighbours peace and quiet.. Unlike a lot of people in the estate...

Best of luck anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭schmel22

Not only is it annoying but is it a dog welfare issue, does the dog have shelter, food/water? If not then you need to contact ISPCA on their cruelty helpline 1890 515 515 and report it. You can also report it to the dog warden as you have concerns about the dog, as a result the owners will be paid a visit by an animal welfare officer
    Just a suggestion for another angle on trying to get the dog to stop barking as it's obviously not happy and relieve your ears!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

I feel very sorry for the poster. I was driven demented by a barking dog in Charlesland a few years ago. A German Shepherd that was left out from very late at night/early morning while its owners were at work (shifts). I went to them about it, trying to be reasonable and calm. I'd even videod/recorded the dog's barking which was really loud and incessant even with my bedroom window shut. It used to wake me at around 5/5.30am from when it barked non-stop waiting for its owner to come home. The owners listened to what I said but were clearly in denial about it and did absolutely nothing.

I know people will think I'm just whingeing but it was horrible and left me really tired and stressed out all day.

I know it's a cliché but I love dogs and would love to have one. However, I think it's so cruel and selfish to imprison a dog, especially a big one as mentioned above, in what are pretty small houses/gardens in Charlesland while I go off to work.

Dog owners reading: Please have some consideration for your neighbours and your pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

As a dog owner myself, and as a neighbour that has to listen to other dogs barking and crying (day and night) I agree with this.

When I’m in work Monday - Friday my dog is either up with his grandparents or sleeping inside my kitchen, and im sure if I did leave him out all day he would bark (out of boredom and at any strange noise) but do I want him stressed out all day or annoying my neighbours?
    Absolutely not… so he chillaxes all day snoozing in his bed in the kitchen.

I too am sick of dog crying / barking all night where I live but owners seem oblivious… as I am also sick of dogs allowing to roam all day and sh*te all over the place….
    t’s amazing these same dogs owners have kids and allow them to play on the green… they very green where their dog is sh*tting all day.

Some people should not be dog owners.

I do feel sorry for the poor dog, it’s not normal for a dog to bark 24/7, he/she is doing it for a reason, boredom or stressed… poor thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭nightrave

Thank you all for kind words and support :)

I've decided to wait two weeks and if nothing changes, hand them the notice of an intention to make a claim and then submit a complaint to Bray district court. I think my rights to have my peace in the evening and on weekend are more important, than dog's to bark freely in the garden. The only thing I haven't figured out is if I can submit a claim without knowing the name of my neighbours.

• Advertisement

Thank you all for kind words and support :)

I've decided to wait two weeks and if nothing changes, hand them the notice of an intention to make a claim and then submit a complaint to Bray district court. I think my rights to have my peace in the evening and on weekend are more important, than dog's to bark freely in the garden. The only thing I haven't figured out is if I can submit a claim without knowing the name of my neighbours.

I’m going to be very honest and say I don’t think you will have any joy in the courts UNLESS you have exhausted all other avenues.

1. You need to speak with the owners – record all details time date etc., keep videos of the actual dog and not just noise recordings as it could be any dog etc.
    2.You need to write a letter to the owners explaining the situation
    3.You need to make a formal complaint to the guards, have back up documentation
    4.Contact you management company – make a formal complaint – again keep all documentation
    5.Contact local dog warden – again keep documentation…

No court will take this serious if you have not gone through all the relevant channels… no offence OP but they have more pressing issues to deal with.

You need to go through the right path BEFORE you will get anywhere.

BTW waiting to 2 weeks will do nothing im afraid once a dog starts repetitive barking unless he is brought into the home he / she won’t stop of their own accord.

Anyway best of luck with whatever you decide.

cocker5 wrote: »
    I’m going to be very honest and say I don’t think you will have any joy in the courts UNLESS you have exhausted all other avenues.

1. You need to speak with the owners – record all details time date etc., keep videos of the actual dog and not just noise recordings as it could be any dog etc.
    2.You need to write a letter to the owners explaining the situation
    3.You need to make a formal complaint to the guards, have back up documentation
    4.Contact you management company – make a formal complaint – again keep all documentation
    5.Contact local dog warden – again keep documentation…

No court will take this serious if you have not gone through all the relevant channels… no offence OP but they have more pressing issues to deal with.

You need to go through the right path BEFORE you will get anywhere.

BTW waiting to 2 weeks will do nothing im afraid once a dog starts repetitive barking unless he is brought into the home he / she won’t stop of their own accord.

Anyway best of luck with whatever you decide.

1. Done
    2. Done
    3. Guards? You mean Garda?
    4. There is no management company (at least I am not aware there is one)
    5. Currently busy doing it

I have enough videos of the dog so I hope I have enough proof.

At citizensinformation.ie there is only 1 step prior to complaint - let the owners know.

1. Done
    2. Done
    3. Guards? You mean Garda?
    4. There is no management company (at least I am not aware there is one)
    5. Currently busy doing it

I have enough videos of the dog so I hope I have enough proof.

At citizensinformation.ie there is only 1 step prior to complaint - let the owners know.

Op you know I meant Garda.. There's no need to be smart .. I was only trying to give you constructive advice... So you would stand a better chance etc!
    Nowhere in your other posts did u mention doing all of the above...

I can see you already know everything so good luck on ur quest!.

Op you know I meant Garda.. There's no need to be smart .. I was only trying to give you constructive advice... So you would stand a better chance etc!
    Nowhere in your other posts did u mention doing all of the above...

I can see you already know everything so good luck on ur quest!.

Well hold it! I was not trying to be a smart ass, but genuinely curious. As a non-native english speaker you tend to double check everything. I mean I didn't know anything about dog warden up until last week. Sorry if it sounded offensive, dude! I appreciate any advice, it's just I am a bit desperate now as this little beast is driving me crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

If you live in charlesland then there is a management company. Make a complaint to them, they will / should contact the home owner. If the house is rented then the landlord may be concerned complaints are being made about his tennants.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭Drweavil

Dunno if it's been posted already but there's a thing you can buy that emits a noise that only the dog can hear every time he/she starts to bark. You can get them online or in garden centres. They're called "Outdoor Bark Control". They look like an ornate little bird house and you just hang them on the garden wall.

My mother used one on the next door neighbours dogs last year. Worked a treat.

Drweavil wrote: »
    Dunno if it's been posted already but there's a thing you can buy that emits a noise that only the dog can hear every time he/she starts to bark. You can get them online or in garden centres. They're called "Outdoor Bark Control". They look like an ornate little bird house and you just hang them on the garden wall.

My mother used one on the next door neighbours dogs last year. Worked a treat.

Thought about it as well, but I have one concern. As they let the dog out and then just close the door and the dog starts barking. Wouldn't this high pitch ultrasound make him bark even louder out trying to get out of there?

It does take the dog a little while to get used to it, but it's not very long before they figure out the connection between barking and the noise they don't like.

My mom told me it was quite funny as the dogs she trained started to try to bark with lower volume and kept upping it until the machine went off and they shut up again.

It's the brain dead owners fault not the dogs...
    EVERY TIME the dog barks at night, go round and bang on the owners front door....

This maybe a quicker alternative

I couldn't agree more, the dog barking is testimony to the owners stupidity, ignorance and lack of empathy for every one in his/her neighbourhood. I'm not sure if there is a better example of anti-social behaviour. It's cruel to the dog, it's mean to the neighbours and it affects everyone within earshot.

The other alternative is court action (which I am seriously considering as an option for one guy here who's alarm goes off every freakin' day and he simply refuses to fix it).

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Drweavil wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more, the dog barking is testimony to the owners stupidity, ignorance and lack of empathy for every one in his/her neighbourhood. I'm not sure if there is a better example of anti-social behaviour. It's cruel to the dog, it's mean to the neighbours and it affects everyone within earshot.

The other alternative is court action (which I am seriously considering as an option for one guy here who's alarm goes off every freakin' day and he simply refuses to fix it).

Every time the alarm goes call the Guards

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

A dog definitely should not be left outside barking after 9pm. There is definitely a management company and the owner is probably in breach of management rules - although I don't live in Charlesland so I'm not sure of the charter exactly.

I remember we had a similar problem a few years back and my brother in law suggested we throw something over the wall that would be leave rather unpleasant side affects after the dog ate it. Of course, I'm not suggesting this. Fortunately for us, the dog owner decided to be sensible and treat his pet and neighbors with more respect.

Langerland wrote: »
    A dog definitely should not be left outside barking after 9pm. There is definitely a management company and the owner is probably in breach of management rules - although I don't live in Charlesland so I'm not sure of the charter exactly.

I remember we had a similar problem a few years back and my brother in law suggested we throw something over the wall that would be leave rather unpleasant side affects after the dog ate it. Of course, I'm not suggesting this. Fortunately for us, the dog owner decided to be sensible and treat his pet and neighbors with more respect.

Your brother in law sounds like a really nice person…… NOT

Why on earth would you do that to the dog when it not the dogs at fault, it’s the owners fault, why make the dog suffer….god almighty I give up. :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Your brother in law sounds like a really nice person…… NOT

Why on earth would you do that to the dog when it not the dogs at fault, it’s the owners fault, why make the dog suffer….god almighty I give up. :confused::confused:

I think it was said more tongue in cheek.......

However, for that case, the dog in question was right next door to a young couple with a newborn baby so it was pretty unfair that the owner refused to bring the dog in at night. I guess if the Garda or Dog Warden eventually do get called in and if the dog was taken from the owner, it would more than likely end up being put down anyway unless it was rescued by a decent owner. So either way, the poor dog gets it when you have an owner like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DHFrame

Are you 50 feet away?

http://www.barkstopper.co.uk/

It's the same kind of thing they use to stop teenagers congregating in Shops after school.

Use it for a week. Slowly remove. Dogs stops barking. The reason the dog is barking is because its owners have left him. They are pack animals, they cannot cope on their own. It's all about the owners, how they care for their dogs, how much attention the dog gets, how much love. My dogs wait patiently and silently for me to come home. They are lucky though - I work from home. I don't understand people owning dogs and going to work - Dog on it's own from 8am till 6pm sometimes longer if owner fancies pints after work on a Friday.

Each time the owner leaves the dog thinks he/she is never coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

DHFrame wrote: »
    Are you 50 feet away?

http://www.barkstopper.co.uk/

It's the same kind of thing they use to stop teenagers congregating in Shops after school.

Use it for a week. Slowly remove. Dogs stops barking. The reason the dog is barking is because its owners have left him. They are pack animals, they cannot cope on their own. It's all about the owners, how they care for their dogs, how much attention the dog gets, how much love. My dogs wait patiently and silently for me to come home. They are lucky though - I work from home. I don't understand people owning dogs and going to work - Dog on it's own from 8am till 6pm sometimes longer if owner fancies pints after work on a Friday.

Each time the owner leaves the dog thinks he/she is never coming back.

I agree with you for the most part. It is wrong to leave a dog alone for hours on end. They are social animals and need company. Leaving them out or locking them in is no solution.
    By the way how do you know what a dog thinks. :)

Hardly a very practical suggestion now is it?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DHFrame

Cerco wrote: »
    By the way how do you know what a dog thinks. :)
    I don't, no more than you know what a person is thinking but you will have a go at thinking you do. What's your solution? I didn't see one.
    Hardly a very practical suggestion now is it?!!

Oh Stanley, I went back in the thread thinking you had a really good idea but I couldn't find one. Trying to decipher your provocative message, I came to the conclusion you mean it's not á good solution long term. It's a solution short term all the same no? If you can't get through to the owners then get through to the dog. You do know what 'practical' means don't you? Here let me help:

practical
    ˈpraktɪk(ə)l/
    adjective
    adjective: practical
    1. 1.
      of or concerned with the actual doing or use of something rather than with theory and ideas.
      "there are two obvious practical applications of the research"
      synonyms:empirical, hands-on, pragmatic, real, actual, active, applied, experiential, experimental, non-theoretical, in the field; Moreinformalhow-to;
      technicalheuristic;
      rareempiric
      "they have practical experience of language-teaching methods"

antonyms:theoretical

2. 2.
      (of an idea, plan, or method) likely to succeed or be effective in real circumstances; feasible.
      "neither of these strategies are practical for smaller businesses"
      synonyms:feasible, practicable, realistic, viable, workable, possible, within the bounds/realms of possibility, reasonable, sensible, useful, helpful, constructive; Moreinformaldoable;
      rareaccomplishable
      "the opposition have failed to put forward any practical alternatives"

3. 3.
      so nearly the case that it can be regarded as so; virtual.
      "for all practical purposes, she's his girlfriend"
      synonyms:virtual, effective, in effect More"it was a practical certainty that he would try to raise more money"

nounBritish

noun: practical; plural noun: practicals
    1. 1.
      an examination or lesson in which theories and procedures learned are applied to the actual making or doing of something.

I'd say you copied that from somewhere...?!?

Sorry DHFrame, my fault. I was trying to reply to the poster who suggested 'going round' every time the dog barks. Which I thought wasn't a particularly good [practical] idea. I tried to remove it last night when I saw where it had been positioned but Boards just seemed to freeze up when I went to edit it. Sorry about that.

P.S. Thanks for explaining the meaning of 'practical' in such great detail! Three syllable words are often a struggle for me but I thought I had this one nailed! Can you correct this for me to be on the safe side?

"One's own personal insecurities may sometime lead to time being used in a very impractical manner.''

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement