Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macarons in Cork

Options
  • 13-06-2014 8:47pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any recommendations for where I can get macarons in Cork? I'm potentially looking to place a bulk order for a party. I saw a crowd called Treat Petite at the Mahon farmer's market; are there any others you could recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

What are macarons? Similar to macaroons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

q2ice wrote: »

It's the Spanish for macaroon

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Scottish arons. Be serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭applehunter

Faith wrote: »
    Any recommendations for where I can get macarons in Cork? I'm potentially looking to place a bulk order for a party. I saw a crowd called Treat Petite at the Mahon farmer's market; are there any others you could recommend?

There is a shop in the English Market that sell them. If you come in from the Princes St. side it will be on your right .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

They're often mispronounced as macaroons, yeah. They're brightly coloured little biscuit like things, made with almond flour and usually with a ganache filling. A macaroon is made with coconut.

macaroon-vs-macaron.jpg
    There is a shop in the English Market that sell them. If you come in from the Princes St. side it will be on your right .

That's gone for a few years, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

The food hall in Brown Thomas has them. Delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

That's gone for a few years, unfortunately.

I got some of them about 2 months ago in the English market. There is a small coffee shop there where they sell mostly cakes, and there were different coloured macarons there.

The last two times I've passed the shop, they haven't been there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Cork Lass wrote: »
    The food hall in Brown Thomas has them. Delicious.

They're wicked! But seriously expensive! :(

Think it's a firm in Kerry that supplies BT. Perhaps you could pop in, get the details and make a bit of a deal with them?

Thanks for the help, everyone! Google threw up a couple of places too, so I'll check them all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Saw them in Lidl this evening. In the freezer.

• Advertisement

DON'T buy the Lidl ones. They taste NASTY!! Really sweet with a weird chemical aftertaste. Gave me a stinking migraine too. :(

DON'T buy the Lidl ones. They taste NASTY!! Really sweet with a weird chemical aftertaste. Gave me a stinking migraine too. :(

I don't think I could bring myself to buy frozen macarons!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

If you google laspoon.ie you can buy through Christine who makes them and gives classes. She is based in oysterhaven I think. Well worth a look at her Facebook page for the beautiful stuff she makes.

Cheers, she's one of the people that popped up on google, along with a place in kinsale :)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

I can recommend Christine for yummy things. She is french and a brilliant teacher. I know that you are a keen baker Faith so you might enjoy her lessons! She does them in Brennan's and I think The Cookery Cottage on the South Douglas Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

If you look on facebook there is a company called Mrs Doyle's Vintage Tea party. I have been to a couple of her tea-parties and have been at her stall at a Christmas fair and she had macaroons at them. They were meant to be lovely (I am not a fan of them so . I am not sure if she takes orders for them but might be worth messaging her.

I think Marks and Spencers used to do them in the dessert aisle .It might be worth a look if you are stuck.

I don't think I could bring myself to buy frozen macarons!
    It wasn't the frozen ones I got. Never seen any in the freezer TBH. They were on the ambient shelves...

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

After reading this thread this morning I emailed Christine regarding macaroons baking classes and their is one on Saturday 21st 11am if anyone's interested.

I might go myself but I told Christine I'll confirm on Monday.
    Anyone interested? Never been to a cookery class before and kinda nervous hopefully there's a good group there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

The bakery in Brown Thomas is called Cloudberry, my OH got me things from there before and they were lovely!

Advertisement