Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Leaving Cert MUSIC- All Levels: Before and After Discussion***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 feckin priests

If minor melody and a nice Q.5 on composing paper come up I'll be sortrd. Im fairly clueless when it comes to the listening though

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yoajing

Does anyone know exactly how much detail we need to know each set work in?

If you think about it, we've been studying the set work for two years. Thus we're expected to be proficient and familiar with the techniques used, instrumentation, cadences, dynamics etc in each piece. But I feel that even if you haven't studied that well, you could still get a good few marks if you're naturally musical and have a good ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Joey!!

Guys i'm so confused! When your doing a minor melody do you always raise the seventh or only when rising?

Edit: its ok crisis resolved I figured it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 millypop

you think seán nós, collectors, north america, regional styles, dancing and Seán O Riada is enough for irish essays??? One is more than likely to appear?!

gal555 wrote: »
    I thought I'd spend most of my time studying the irish essays because that's the main theory....
    until I realized its only worth 2.5%!
    Am I right yeah?
    10 marks...

Q1 6%
    Q2 2.5%
    Q3 2.5%
    Q4 2.5%
    Q5 6%
    Q6A 4%
    Q6B 2.5%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Joey!! wrote: »
    Guys i'm so confused! When your doing a minor melody do you always raise the seventh or only when rising?

If you are not too sure with melodic minor then stick with harmonic...

so harmonic ..."if in doubt, leave 6 out and always use raised 7th"

Melodic.. Going up RAISE 6 and 7.. Moving down then lower back to the natural..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Armelodie wrote: »
    Sean Ó Riada would cover a good few...

Innovation in irish music.
    Irish group (ceoiltoirí cualinn)
    Irish composer
    Music in 20th century
    Fusion in irish music

If an irish group came and I used ceoltoiri cualainn, how much info on them do I need, the bit I have in my general sean o riada essay is only a paragraph :( anywhere I could get more info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭manyoung

With When Im 64, its sped up to Db, so what would the key be if asked? C or Db?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭booblefoop

manyoung wrote: »

I'd assume Db because we're studying the final version, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

manyoung wrote: »

It was only Paul's vocals that were sped up from what I've read. So answer Db.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

If an irish group came and I used ceoltoiri cualainn, how much info on them do I need, the bit I have in my general sean o riada essay is only a paragraph :( anywhere I could get more info?

It's supposed to be 4 good points of musical substance. i.e. talk about the music ..and its impact. How it differed from what was going on at the time i.e. Ceili band format of belting out the tune in monophonic delivery, whereas O Riada's group CC had a 'layered' effect with different soloists/groups coming in and out at different times. Function of the Ceili Band was to dance to.. Function of CC was to listen to..

'Ril mhor bhaile an chalaidh'

• Registered Users Posts: 12 oliverob123

Is it ok to take the ordinary paper today i have done higher all along ?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Is it ok to take the ordinary paper today i have done higher all along ?

Technically you can but just stick with the honours I would say. There isn't much of a difference between the 2. You'll be able for it. Don't let it stress you.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

what key was question one in the composing paper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

a0ifee wrote: »
    what key was question one in the composing paper?

B flat major I think.

B flat major I think.

thank God :o

Did anyone else find that harmony question impossible? Where were the cadences??

booblefoop wrote: »
    Did anyone else find that harmony question impossible? Where were the cadences??

yes thank you everyone was saying it was fine and I was like what the hell was that?
    I put in cadences but I'm not 100% sure of them. I thought it was really difficult!

also: ostinato or sequence?

a0ifee wrote: »
    yes thank you everyone was saying it was fine and I was like what the hell was that?
    I put in cadences but I'm not 100% sure of them. I thought it was really difficult!

also: ostinato or sequence?

Yeah, I completely had to guess at the cadences, hopefully they won't take off too many marks if they're wrong :(

I think it was a sequence, I'm not 100% sure what an ostinato is but I think it's a sequence that doesn't change pitch when it's repeated.

I say you won't, I didn't even put cadence points in both of my pres and still got high marks in the backing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭6thyearlife

Do you actually have to mark in cadences or just put chords that make a cadence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Do you actually have to mark in cadences or just put chords that make a cadence?

Pretty sure it's just the chords that make a cadence, I've never marked them before and have never been told I needed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jamesmcdonald_

Found the backing chords very hard. Instead of continuing the bass line by alternating it I realised with about a minute to go that I did the whole bass line wrong. Instead of it going like A B A B A B A B I realised I did A B B A B A...

Pretty sure it's just the chords that make a cadence, I've never marked them before and have never been told I needed to.

Thank god

What did y'all get for the two Irish types of music on Q6? And, man, I expected a harp question to come up because there has always been one every year. WHY? WHY NOW?

yoajing wrote: »
    What did y'all get for the two Irish types of music on Q6? And, man, I expected a harp question to come up because there has always been one every year. WHY? WHY NOW?

It was jig into a reel

Is there a flattened 7th in when I'm 64?

It was jig into a reel

seriously? I GOT IT RIGHT FOR ONCE

also I really enjoy the third excerpt for the irish question :P

Is there a flattened 7th in when I'm 64?

Yes! That's one of the 'jazz' aspects of the song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Holy ****e that bavking chords was impossible :( pretty sure that I threw any hopw of an A down the toilet :/:/:/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭richardh330

Quite a predictable paper, listening was great but composing was challenging.
    I did Q1 and Q3, will both be corrected?

Advertisement