Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Leaving Cert MUSIC- All Levels: Before and After Discussion***

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Quite a predictable paper, listening was great but composing was challenging.
    I did Q1 and Q3, will both be corrected?

Listening was good, bar the fact a blanked my ceili bands essay -_-
    I hated composing, thought the backing chords was very challenging :(
    Yeah, I think with the LC they will correct every question you answer and take your best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 HelenAnn

Does anyone know is 1b to V still an imperfect cadence?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭6thyearlife

What did people have in the last two boxes of harmony it's realised I may have messed up

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭richardh330

HelenAnn wrote: »
    Does anyone know is 1b to V still an imperfect cadence?

Yip it is
    What did people have in the last two boxes of harmony it's realised I may have messed up

Pretty sure it ended with a plagal cadence (Db to Ab), question 5 that is

Yip it is

Pretty sure it ended with a plagal cadence (Db to Ab), question 5 that is

Where were the cadence points on q 5??

I tried to get 2 four bar phrases and one six bar but I couldn't for love nor money get a cadence in the second place I picked so I put one in that didn't fit in a blind state of panic and threw down as many cadence chords as I could!

• Advertisement

Where were the cadence points on q 5??

I tried to get 2 four bar phrases and one six bar but I couldn't for love nor money get a cadence in the second place I picked so I put one in that didn't fit in a blind state of panic and threw down as many cadence chords as I could!

The trick is to not force cadence points, they form themselves. Once there's a chord I V or vi at the end of the line you're fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

The trick is to not force cadence points, they form themselves. Once there's a chord I V or vi at the end of the line you're fine

At the end of a phrase you mean, no?

Armelodie wrote: »
    At the end of a phrase you mean, no?

Yeah, they usually put the end of the phase at the end of the line.... Usually...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Yeah, they usually put the end of the phase at the end of the line.... Usually...

Ahh no they don't... only guaranteed cadence/end of phrase at the end of a line is the last one!

e.g. the first cadence point in Q5 this year would be bar 4 which is the middle of the second line..( If you look at bar 5, it is similar to the start of bar 1 so the start of a new phrase).

The syncopations they put in for these questions are horrible though in fairness and really does create ambiguity as it leaves the chords open to appoggiaturas which are notes not out of the chord (but could still work!!).

In saying all that it does really test to see which student can actually 'hear' the melody that is written.. i.e. you need to be a good sight singer with a good rhythmic skills to know where the melody is going (not to mention the bassline!!).

Armelodie wrote: »
    Ahh no they don't... only guaranteed cadence/end of phrase at the end of a line is the last one!

e.g. the first cadence point in Q5 this year would be bar 4 which is the middle of the second line..( If you look at bar 5, it is similar to the start of bar 1 so the start of a new phrase).

The syncopations they put in for these questions are horrible though in fairness and really does create ambiguity as it leaves the chords open to appoggiaturas which are notes not out of the chord (but could still work!!).

In saying all that it does really test to see which student can actually 'hear' the melody that is written.. i.e. you need to be a good sight singer with a good rhythmic skills to know where the melody is going (not to mention the bassline!!).

Where was the next cadence point of 2014 q5? I tried to put it at the end of the 8th bar because of all the ties it was the only bar it fit and rhythmically it seemed to make sense as bar 9 had the syncopated bit at the end of the bar like 1 and 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

I was really happy with the essay question my mam's a well known fiddle player I had a grand aul speech about her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 HelenAnn

Janeh9 wrote: »
    I was really happy with the essay question my mam's a well known fiddle player I had a grand aul speech about her :D

That must have been pretty handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

HelenAnn wrote: »
    That must have been pretty handy!

I was delighted! So handy :P

Advertisement