Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with looping the bar when cleaning

• 13-06-2014 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

I posted this in the Lifting Leaderboard thread but thought it might get a better response as a tread of it's own.

Has anyone any good cues or tips to help me with looping the bar when cleaning, I know what I'm doing wrong, not staying over the bar long enough, initiating the second pull too soon and contacting the thigh to low, the bar loops around and I have to jump forward to catch it.
    I just cant seem to fix it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I've always had great success with tall/dead hang cleans on that problem.

I'd say some high hang work would help too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Yea reckon I'll start doing more hangs and tall cleans, i do loads of hang snatch work but not so much for the clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Your starting lumbar spine is not straight enough.
    Second pull is ok but I don't think you touch your thighs at all. You don't need to strictly speaking but the bar should be only a hairs breath from your quad.
    Maybe try full cleans. Power cleans are very messy in general. If you can clean with good form your power clean will be fine but not vice versa

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Your starting lumbar spine is not straight enough.
    Second pull is ok but I don't think you touch your thighs at all. You don't need to strictly speaking but the bar should be only a hairs breath from your quad.
    Maybe try full cleans. Power cleans are very messy in general. If you can clean with good form your power clean will be fine but not vice versa

I do full cleans more often than powers, I posted that vid as I only recorded it today, I also have the same issue with full cleans. I'm defiantly contacting my thigh just low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

dylbert wrote: »
    I posted this in the Lifting Leaderboard thread but thought it might get a better response as a tread of it's own.

Has anyone any good cues or tips to help me with looping the bar when cleaning, I know what I'm doing wrong, not staying over the bar long enough, initiating the second pull too soon and contacting the thigh to low, the bar loops around and I have to jump forward to catch it.
    I just cant seem to fix it.

You're belting your hips in too early, try to finish "up" rather than "in". High pull+clean from mid-thigh height (hang or blocks) focusing on finishing upwards will help but only if you don't forget to implement it when cleaning from the floor! Stay back on the heels a bit longer (the weight was pullin' ya forward)

That's your max though so not a cue on the planet or essay would have made that lift look different!

• Advertisement

I was clean and jerking a bit lighter today so worked trying to finish up rather than in. The first two still weren't great but the third was allot better, still not perfect but didn't loop around as much and less of a jump forward, a work in progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

You still have a nasty crash there. Work up as heavy as ya can without contact and video it from the side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

I'd largely agree with Ed. you're pushing your hips through too much and leaning back. Think tall not back and be patient staying over the bar.

Not too sure but your arm involvement after hip extension might not be active enough to keep the bar close. It looks like it crashes on you a bit.

I think arm involvement is a factor too, I'm just jumping under rather than pulling under, I'm working on trying to keep a better grip on the bar till just before the turn over.

Far too much crap to be thinking about with this weightlifting craic.

Advertisement