Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study area in Sligo

Options
  • 13-06-2014 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for a quiet area in Sligo that I can study in silence with a proper desk and work area. I'd be using a laptop so I'd prefer if there was wifi.

I've been looking at the library in the IT, but I'm not so sure if they allow the public to use their facilities. Also I don't think that their wifi is free to use.

I've looked at the Sligo Library and they do have free internet access, but the opening hours are very restrictive and are closed on a sunday monday and tuesday.

Does anyone know what the story is with the IT, or if they have any suggestions?

Many Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

You should be able to use the Library in the IT, you just wont be able to access the WiFi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

A colleague of mine was telling about a Community Centre in Coolaney who rent rooms by the hour, not too sure how much but I know it's dirt cheap, plenty of prece and quite out there and free WiFi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    A colleague of mine was telling about a Community Centre in Coolaney who rent rooms by the hour, not too sure how much but I know it's dirt cheap, plenty of prece and quite out there and free WiFi

Thanks for the suggestion, but its a bit too far out for me. Living in town and would be walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Hi

I'm looking for a quiet area in Sligo that I can study in silence with a proper desk and work area. I'd be using a laptop so I'd prefer if there was wifi.

I've been looking at the library in the IT, but I'm not so sure if they allow the public to use their facilities. Also I don't think that their wifi is free to use.

I've looked at the Sligo Library and they do have free internet access, but the opening hours are very restrictive and are closed on a sunday monday and tuesday.

Does anyone know what the story is with the IT, or if they have any suggestions?

Many Thanks.

To use the wifi you would need to be registered as a student and there used to be a turnstile type thingy where you had to swipe yr student crd to get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

The turnstyle is not operational. It might be worth asking in the library if it was possible to get membership and if this could give you wifi access.

You could get a USB 3G/4G dongle and use the library then.

Some good offers on 3G / 4G internet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

dingding wrote: »
    The turnstyle is not operational. It might be worth asking in the library if it was possible to get membership and if this could give you wifi access.

You could get a USB 3G/4G dongle and use the library then.

Some good offers on 3G / 4G internet
    the turnstiles haven't been used in 3+ years. they don't do membership and the signal is usually pretty poor in the library. If you know anyone that goes there get there student no and password and you can work away then

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭barneyrub

I happened to be in the IT today and got wifi on my phone. No passwords needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

http://www.sligolibrary.ie/sligolibrarynew/OurBranches/ReferenceandLocalHistoryLibrary/

This branch of the library might be worth a look. I think they have PC's with internet access and is probably quieter than the main library.

Cheers for the reply folks.

To clarify, I'm not interested in using a PC for internet access, I'm studying software dev, so I need to use my own laptop with the software and data already on it.

I'll be taking a mosey round tomorrow to scope the places out and see which works. I have portable midband, but only for another month. I could alway tether after that tho.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

You could try the Sligo libaray? They have like a desk and u won't need Internet!

Vlove wrote: »
    You could try the Sligo libaray? They have like a desk and u won't need Internet!

The library closes early though and is not open every day. IT is open till atleast 8/9pm in the week, with some opening at the weekend.

barneyrub wrote: »
    I happened to be in the IT today and got wifi on my phone. No passwords needed?

Some parts of the IT there is unprotected wifi, some parts is just a password, and then some you need your student log in.

Vlove wrote: »

Was in there today, and its certainly not the place to try and get any work done.

IT is the job alright. No joy on the wifi front I'm afraid, but I'll have to live with that I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

In regards to studying in Sligo IT library I've found it to be ridiculously noisy in the recent past with little to no attempt by the staff at getting students to STFU!

Telephone calls & bunches of the foreign students skyping en mass etc. just seemed to be tolerated.
    Usually it's worse nearer exam time & early Thursday evenings.

A few quieter spots upstairs where its not as bad.
    Frustrating as hell; sometimes I'd move down to the canteen in the evenings where it's often quieter.

From what I can recall there were reduced hours during the summer months, probably closer to normal office working hours.

I had membership been a mature student, part-time in both in Sligo & Ulster University, but no internet access so instead relied on a dongle.

Damn those young people!!:mad::mad:

Advertisement