Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chile vs Australia

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

In the overall scheme of things Chile didn't deserve to win 3-1. Austrailia put up a great fight in the second half. For a South American team I though Chile's play seemed to deteriorate due to fatigue which was poor seeing as they should have an advantage in that regard.

Yeah it's surprising.

Conditioning is going to play a massive part in . this tournament. Both Spain and Chile seemed to fatigue a lot more than their opponents .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Can't see the hype around Chile, once they come agaisn't a top side they will be destroyed with that centre back pairing. 25 goals let in during their world cup qualifying group isn't sounding like dark horses to me. Spain will take them as will Holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I thought Chile were the better team but they look very nervous at the back and that will be a huge factor in their next two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Turtwig wrote: »
    Yeah it's surprising.

Conditioning is going to play a massive part in . this tournament. Both Spain and Chile seemed to fatigue a lot more than their opponents .

I'm sorry I'm not buying that excuse.

Looper007 wrote: »
    I'm sorry I'm not buying that excuse.

Australia were very well conditioned. Chile fatigued, their passing accuracy and pressing went to sht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

We'll leave it there so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Do people really think Chile have no chance against Spain? Going by tonight's performance, Chile were not great, but Spain were absolutely brutal. I think Chile are definitely in with a shout of getting a draw, which is all they need.

With the intensity Chile started with they could kill Spain. But this is Spain we're talking about. Hard not to have them as favorites. Given their potential. But on current form Chile will beat them and it could be France all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Turtwig wrote: »
    With the intensity Chile started with they could kill Spain. But this is Spain we're talking about. Hard not to have them as favorites. Given their potential. But on current form Chile will beat them and it could be France all over again.

Current form based on one game? Seriously?

Spain were poor but Chile were far from impressive here. Vidal's reaction to being subbed suggests that he is not 100% fit which is potentially a big loss for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

Spain were good for fourty minutes and it looked like it was going to be easy enough for them. Once they went 3-1 down they just capitulated, not helped by Casillas being useless. While Chile had a good twenty minutes, a very average Australia side matched them in the second half and could have easily nicked a draw.

• Advertisement

• neil.p.b wrote: »
    Spain were good for fourty minutes and it looked like it was going to be easy enough for them. Once they went 3-1 down they just capitulated, not helped by Casillas being useless. While Chile had a good twenty minutes, a very average Australia side matched them in the second half and could have easily nicked a draw.

No there only breakthrough came from an incorrect penalty decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

In the overall scheme of things Chile didn't deserve to win 3-1. Austrailia put up a great fight in the second half. For a South American team I though Chile's play seemed to deteriorate due to fatigue which was poor seeing as they should have an advantage in that regard.

Brazil and Chile are neighbours the way Ireland and the Mediterreanean are and I doubt if Ireland would have an advantage if the World Cup was being played in the Mediterreanean summer heat.
    Chile's climate is a mixed bag, with dry desert conditions mixing with oceanic and most of their narrow country would not be under the uber humid tropical conditions of Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Brazil and Chile are neighbours the way Ireland and the Mediterreanean are and I doubt if Ireland would have an advantage if the World Cup was being played in the Mediterreanean summer heat.
    Chile's climate is a mixed bag, with dry desert conditions mixing with oceanic and most of their narrow country would not be under the uber humid tropical conditions of Brazil.

Brazils climate is a total mixed bag as well btw. Chile and Brazil aren't neighbors either. Was in Chile visiting my aunt many years ago on a holiday and stayed there for two and a half weeks and only saw a fraction of the country as its so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    No there only breakthrough came from an incorrect penalty decision.
    It was a correct decision for the penalty unless I'm missing something? I've seen it about ten times and there was never a doubt for me.

Also they didn't play well in the second half but games are changed by crucial moments. Firstly Silva's miss when he had Costa free in the middle, it was a good save to stop him but he should never have been going for goal himself, was a huge moment in the game. The two bad decisions by the referee that led to the 3rd Dutch goal, firstly to give a free kick and secondly not to penalise Van Persie for fouling Casillas was a huge moment too.

The Dutch went on to win convincingly but we'll never know what would have happened had either of those two crucial moments went right for Spain. They could have won it comfortably from 2-0, they could have come back from 2-1 down.

Van Persie's goal to level it was wonderful, it will be hard to beat that for goal of the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Both Chile and Australia were brutal tbh. Chile started off at 1000mph and looked very tired very quickly. Australia were like a Championship side. I think Spain will get it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

Tim Cahill had a fine game up front, I thought. The way he puts himself about for a guy his size is phenomenal. He really does terrorize centre-halves with his leap and his aggression. If only Mick McCarthy had been able to persuade him to throw his lot in with Ireland back in 2002 (although there were also eligibility issues back then too because of his Samoa u-20 appearances)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Not a bad game, Chile too dodgy at the back to go far I think. Vidal quiet but the game time will help him.

Cahill was terrific.

Referee had a very good game which I was relieved to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

eagle eye wrote: »
    It was a correct decision for the penalty unless I'm missing something? I've seen it about ten times and there was never a doubt for me.

You are missing something. Costa clearly planted his foot behind himself onto the defenders leg. The defender didn't foul him, it wasn't a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Brazils climate is a total mixed bag as well btw. Chile and Brazil aren't neighbors either. Was in Chile visiting my aunt many years ago on a holiday and stayed there for two and a half weeks and only saw a fraction of the country as its so long.

I never said they were neighbors though, unless you consider Ireland and Italy to be neighbors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement