Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Shot in Ballyfermot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

steddyeddy wrote: »
    It's an area with high levels of drug related crime. Common sense and priority setting would do instead of sixth sense.

As I said, they can't be on every street corner. Manpower isn't there for that, they don't even have enough cars to maintain patrols. Not the fault of the force, they can only work with what they have and they don't have enough.

Even when they do catch people like thos they're back out on the roads in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Going by this thread the people in this country have very little faith in our police service, that says something. Yes we live in a very safe country, one of the safest in the world and that is great, but a kid just got shot ffs, that is unacceptable. People up and down the country a dealing with general thuggery on a day to day basis, minor assaults, serious assaults, home invasions, car thefts, home thefts etc. etc. there is an undercurrent of crime and there appears to be very little being done about it.

I rally hope this kid is okay, poor little fella. There are probably other kids in the area who are going to bed traumatised and upset by what they have seen and /or heard tonight, what a horrible environment to have to raise a child in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

carzony wrote: »
    i do blame the gov. Garda numbers have now dropped under the 13,000 figure they wanted to keep for safety sake. Saying that I passed 2 checkpoints today in the Ballyfermot area.

They always seem to have manpower for big checkpoints...

In the past week alone, I have seen 4 tax/insurance checkpoints(and I live outside a small town)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Blay wrote: »
    As I said, they can't be on every street corner. Manpower isn't there for that, they don't even have enough cars to maintain patrols. Not the fault of the force, they can only work with what they have and they don't have enough.

Even when they do catch people like thos they're back out on the roads in no time.

No but they can be on the most needed street corners not protecting Irish water installations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Smidge wrote: »
    In the past week alone, I have seen 4 tax/insurance checkpoints(and I live outside a small town)

everyday outside fas in ballyfermot they have 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening. usually 4 guards standing there..

8 guards a day with the patrol car parked along side them.. why not 2 guards standing there even..

• Advertisement

No but they can be on the most needed street corners not protecting Irish water installations.

I seen that in the paper today and the guards will lose even more respect for that.

Nothing to do with the Gardai, that's pressure coming down from the DoJ. AGS just follow the orders they're given.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Fail to see why the guards are getting mentioned in a negative way in this thread. Like I am not the biggest fans of the Garda (Just my opinion) But they can't be every where.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Nothing to do with the Gardai, that's pressure coming down from the DoJ. AGS just follow the orders they're given.

I'm not blaming the gaurds. I'm blaming whichever idiot assigned them.

everyday outside fas in ballyfermot they have 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening. usually 4 guards standing there..

8 guards a day with the patrol car parked along side them.. why not 2 guards standing there even..

I wonder if we added up how many guards are working day shifts manning tax/insurance checkpoints across the country and then rebalanced that and they were put on the night shifts on patrol in areas where there is clearly a need for a visible police presence, would there be a difference?
    I think so, I really do.

• Advertisement

Fail to see why the guards are getting mentioned in a negative way in this thread. Like I am not the biggest fans of the Garda (Just my opinion) But they can't be every where.

So am i and i even wanted to become a guard and still might in a few years butthe problem is they never seem to be anywhere.. ever..

except for checkpoint.......

In fairness BA, I'm not saying that they should be everywhere.
    But they should be where they are needed.
    City centre, saturday night.
    High crime areas should def have a visible police presence.
    Ring a police station when something happens at 2am and see what response you get.
    None

except for checkpoint.......

But lets be realistic... there would have to be a checkpoint on every street corner in Ireland to stop crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Sickening attack and I wish a speedy recovery to the little fella.

Successive governments have a lot to answer for in many aspects. Please think of the bigger picture people.

In fairness BA, I'm not saying that they should be everywhere.
    But they should be where they are needed.
    City centre, saturday night.
    High crime areas should def have a visible police presence.
    Ring a police station when something happens at 2am and see what response you get.
    None

No arguments there. The response times can be a joke.
    The uncle of my girlfriend had his van stolen a couple of years ago. They came out 3 days later. Yup. 3 days. This is west Dublin too. Big nice Garda Station in the area. Only about 2 miles away.

But lets be realistic... there would have to be a checkpoint on every street corner in Ireland to stop crime.

We were talking about tax and insurance checkpoints :)

just more guards driving around and on the beat with the ol hi-vis would help in situations like this..

As the paper says ''saturate gardai' in areas like this.

Seriously how often do you see garda walking around? I walk 2 hours a day and never see it.

No arguments there. The response times can be a joke.
    The uncle of my girlfriend had his van stolen a couple of years ago. They came out 3 days later. Yup. 3 days. This is west Dublin too. Big nice Garda Station in the area. Only about 2 miles away.

I have been burgled 3 times in recent years. Was appalled at the response I got. Days later the guards showed up and on one of these occasions, details were taken on the back of an envelope I supplied to them. Never heard a dicky bird about any of it.
    We can excuse what ever we like but to me and to a lot of victims of crime, its just being brushed under the rug by AGS with the excuse of under funding etc as the broom.
    I'm not buying it.
    I see more guards on checkpoints than I do at corners renowned for dealing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Reminds of a scene out of Hot Fuzz, knowing the scum that end up getting shot in gangland attacks wouldn't surprise me if the supposed target of the attack shielded himself behind the child. Hope the child pulls through, sickening but actually not unexpected.

Honestly though these gunman in the last while seem to sport the aiming of a 75 year old after double cataracts surgery, I mean the gunman who missed gilligan shooting him in every not vital organ? Do they close their eyes and shoot at random or something?

Just leave the f*ckers kill themselves.

Are you really saying that the DOJ is directing AGS to man security for Irish water?
    The DOJ???

• Advertisement

Are you really saying that the DOJ is directing AGS to man security for Irish water?
    The DOJ???

Yeah..you're right, the Gardai are deciding to do it off their own back. They just support the whole scheme that much.

Yeah..you're right, the Gardai are deciding to do it off their own back. They just support the whole scheme that much.

You're not making sense with that post.

You're not making sense with that post.

It it wasn't an order from DoJ it must be the Gardai choosing to do it themselves no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

What more can they do? It's 10 years just for possessing a bullet with intent to endanger life.

And then the "joke" of an Irish court gives 'em a slap on the wrist and a "don't do it again"

That's really going to deter them from doing the crime

It it wasn't an order from DoJ it must be the Gardai choosing to do it themselves no?

Ah look, you said AGS don't make the calls as to what they do, where they are posted. Then you blame DOJ, then you appear to defend DOJ.
    I'll leave it with you so.

old_aussie wrote: »
    And then the "joke" of an Irish court gives 'em a slap on the wrist and a "don't do it again"

It's crazy. I know of a lad that was caught with several guns and a load of ammunition...he got two years and served one.

The Gardai probably thought he was going away for a good stretch when they brought him in.

old_aussie wrote: »

I have NEVER heard of any of these thugs getting 10 years or anything like it for these crimes.
    They judiciary is a joke, I agree. But it doesn't excuse how AGS operate.
    Slipshod is being very kind, I'm afraid

@ blay
    You removed your comment there saying "Where did I defend DOJ?"

You know exactly what is meant, can't have jam on your egg.

@ blay
    You removed your comment there saying "Where did I defend DOJ?"

You know exactly what is meant, can't have jam on your egg.

I actually don't. I never defended the DoJ. I'm just not going to get into it with you on this thread, it's not the place for it.

• Advertisement

I actually don't. I never defended the DoJ. I'm just not going to get into it with you on this thread, it's not the place for it.

If this isn't the place for it then where is?
    This thread is about crime and a heinous one at that.
    Small things start small, but they grow.
    A blind man with one eye who lives in these areas can tell you everything about it.
    The problem is AGS(and admittedly not theirs alone).
    They will not tackle crime as they should, as their remit demands.
    They are not present in public view and have lost public support.
    They do not serve the public in the manner they should and as such criminals have become embiggened and have no fear.
    No wonder a child was shot

Advertisement