Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elderflower champagne

Options
  • 13-06-2014 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I am following john wrights recipe for elderflower champagne and ran into a few difficulties

The first one being it fermented in just 4 days. Maybe the warm weather has something to do with that. The recipe calls for bottleing at 1010 but mine was at .999 after four days. I added elderflower cordial, that has capden tables in it to bring it up to 1010 and I bottled it.
    It seems fine but taste still raw !
    I burped the bottles this evening and there seems to be a good bit of gas and fermentaion still going.

I moved everything into a basement, as I had the first fermentation in the spare bedroom.

Is my elderflower champagne death or destined to a catastrophy or I can salvage it and how

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

What was your starting gravity? 4 days sounds pretty normal if you pitched yeast. Regular sucrose is very fermentable.

The sugar in the cordial is now feeding secondary fermentation in the bottle. 1.010 will make for a very fizzy wine! You might have some gushers.

Leave it alone, releasing gas from the bottles might be appropriate if they are screw caps.

Advertisement