Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daniel Day-Lewis to be knighted

• 13-06-2014 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/daniel-day-lewis-to-be-knighted-by-queen-elizabeth-1.1831985
    Multi-award-winning actor, and Wicklow resident, Daniel Day-Lewis is to be knighted.
    He is one of more than 1,100 people from the UK and beyond to be recognised in Queen Elizabeth’s Birthday Honours list.

1,100 people, jayzus! Feeling kinda sh*tty that I didn't make the list tbh.

However having said that, I would probably say "thanks, but I'm grand" if I was offered. What about ye – would you accept a knighthood?

I don't have any particularly strong views on monarchy, nor even any hugely nationalist leanings, but I just think it's a bit silly and archaic really.

Also – has anyone (in the last, say, 30 years) turned down a knighthood?

Would you accept a knighthood? 63 votes

Yer
    0% 0 votes
    Ner
    100% 63 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Danny Boyle turned something like this down last year, and David Bowie a few years ago I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Jeez you'd have to be a right ould drip to turn down a knighthood, it would be an experience anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dave! wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/daniel-day-lewis-to-be-knighted-by-queen-elizabeth-1.1831985

However having said that, I would probably say "thanks, but I'm grand" if I was offered. What about ye – would you accept a knighthood?

I don't have any particularly strong views on monarchy, nor even any hugely nationalist leanings, but I just think it's a bit silly and archaic really.

Also – has anyone (in the last, say, 30 years) turned down a knighthood?

Loads have over the years, there is probably a wiki list! Most of that 1,100 are people you have never heard of as they work in the public sector or civil service. The famous sport/showbiz types are only a relative handful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

I'd only accept it if it meant I could ponce around Buckingham Palace in just my jocks and crown and have Liz make the tae for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Yeah there's a wiki list people people who have declined one. Edit here it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declining_a_British_honour#Knighthood

I would accept it but only if I also got the armour and a horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

mike65 wrote: »
    Loads have over the years, there is probably a wiki list! Most of that 1,100 are people you have never heard of as they work in the public sector or civil service. The famous sports/showiz types are only a relative handful
    There is an english artist Lowry(?) i think he turned several down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Daniel Day Lewis in a mental hospital: "But I AM King Arthur and always have been, where did you put Excalibur?"
    Doctors: I'm sure it feels very real to you.
    Lewis: Come Summer 2016, it's gonna feel pretty ****ing real to you too. Anybody not wearing hardened chainmail is gonna have a real bad day. Get it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Does he get a big sword and a horse and a couple of wenches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Will he be able to keep the black knight at bay though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

He must the most depressing actor of all times, most of his movies are nearly in the dark. I will give him something in his favor as regards being an actor, and only one, The last of the Mochiens, Spell check down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

He must the most depressing actor of all times, most of his movies are nearly in the dark. I will give him something in his favor as regards being an actor, and only one, The last of the Mochiens, Spell check down.

I think it is spelled Mochachinians.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Kind of easy to say that you'd say 'no' when you're just waffling on-line.

My inner provo is telling me in such a situation to say 'no stuff it up your crown Liz ...something something 800 years'.

But theres got to be some nice perks to having it. Not to go on about the north too much but you'd probably be well liked in unionist towns, they'd probably give you a place at the head of the table when their barbecues roll round.

Free bbq is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

A knighthood is bestowed by a people who are hardly what one would call 'bad people'. It is awarded for significant contributions to whatever. Declining purely on the basis of an anti-royal sentiment is justifiable IMO, but I am not anti-royal for this reason alone (and the same reason I am in favour of a president); the role is important as the King/Queen represents the people, their spirit, their dreams, their ideals, their hopes and ambitions as well as how they hope to be seen around the World. They are purely figureheads, physical manifestations of a sovereign and united spirit.

However, I have a preference for a democratically elected president over an inherited King/Queen role as it is the people of the current time that elect their president so the president is more in touch with the current population's morale, psyche, personality and feeling (although I cringe at Michael D Higgins being our president!).

Essentially, therefore, because I hold nothing significant against the British and their monarchical system, I would be honoured to receive a knighthood from their Queen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Now he'll be Knight and Day. Must get very confusing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Can I be a Countess instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I'd do what Bart Simpson did in Australia. I'd say yes to being knighted but during my knighting ceremony when the Queen is about to knight me. I would turn around, bend over, drop my trousers and moon her. I'd even have an Irish flag painted on my arse to add insult to injury. That'll show them Brits. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Now he'll be Knight and Day. Must get very confusing :)

They should make a movie about it!

I'd do it purely so I can book flights using the title 'Lady' and so maximise the likelihood of a free upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

I'd be sofa king happy if I was asked, my grandad was in Dunkirk and survived

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I suppose we're small four nations in the North Atlantic who share culture and history, 3 of us Irish, Scots and Welsh traditionally hate the English :pac:. So why not take a knighthood? The Irish especially played a part in laying down the groundwork in wildlands. An integral part of the building of the empire.

Any student of history will know of the 'true Gael' bull propagated by Nationalists from the mid to late 19th century. (Separate from the Home Rule Statesmen like Parnell and Dillon) The Irish and Scots aren't Celts, the celts were mainland Europe and traded in the British isles, look up the depiction of a true Celt, sallow skin, brown eyes, pointy nose, dark brown or black hair.

We're all pretty much the same on these islands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Candie wrote: »
    I'd do it purely so I can book flights using the title 'Lady' and so maximise the likelihood of a free upgrade.
    If your Irish (or rather, not a member of the Commonwealth), you're not entitled to use 'Sir' or 'Lady'. It'd only be an honorary knighthood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Legendary actor, there will be blood is a masterpiece and his performance is like nothing I've seen in film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Dave! wrote: »

It was a method for co-opting people into the Empire in many ways, though more the establishment now. I'd accept a dose of the pox quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You will be surrounded by brown nosers. And I don't just mean the usual perverts that come out in summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

you're jousting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I often get the luas after 9pm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Titles and nobility really brings out the republican in me. I'm the citizen of a Republic and the constitution of my country does not allow for such nonsense. Besides, "celebrities" have done a service to their country how?

A big fat NO to any foreign State from me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

uch wrote: »
    I'd be sofa king happy if I was asked, my grandad was in Dunkirk and survived

Yeah, but he was German

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Often wondered do the good people in Limerick refer to Terry Wogan as Sir Terence when he's home.

My inner provo is telling me in such a situation to say 'no stuff it up your crown Liz ...something something 800 years'.

is good.

TDM thats a thread starter My inner provo :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Often wondered do the good people in Limerick refer to Terry Wogan as Sir Terence when he's home.

Who gave you your knighthood :-) James Jameson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That lad with cancer who raised about 4 million quid has been awarded a CBE, which is nice. In Ireland he'd get the right to graze sheep (or is it goats?) in Stephens Green.

Angelina Jolie is now a Dame!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It kind of looks petty if you don't address the man with his title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

mike65 wrote: »
    Angelina Jolie is now a Dame!

Why the '!'?

• Advertisement

^^
    Have you ever seen sammy sausages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Why the '!'?

Because Dddaaaaaammmmmeee! She is fiiiiinnnnnneee!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

If your Irish (or rather, not a member of the Commonwealth), you're not entitled to use 'Sir' or 'Lady'. It'd only be an honorary knighthood.

I think you'll find anybody can refer to themselves as Sir, Lady, Baron etc

And why not??

I found it hilarious when Rafa Benitez refered to Alex Ferguson as Mr. Ferguson instead of Sir Alex.
    Pure wind up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

I think it is spelled Mochachinians.

Thanks, I did say my spell checker was down.

Correct spelling.
    Mochicians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I'd take a Knighthood, if for no other reason than insisting I be referred to by my proper title. You shall call me Sir or off to the gallows with ye you bleeding miscreants. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

He's now in the company of greats such as David Hasselhoff and Lionel Blair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭preston johnny

Is this a poll or a Sir vey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

nuxxx wrote: »
    Legendary actor, there will be blood is a masterpiece and his performance is like nothing I've seen in film

You obviously didn't see John Huston in Chinatown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Titles, knighthoods, nobility, hereditary peerage, monarchy... all ridiculously outmoded concepts from the dark ages that should be rendered obsolete but the great and the good just can't resist stroking themselves in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭FreshKnickers

Sorry, lady, but I think you'd be a Dame. Arise Dame Candie of After Hours!

On Irish passports you're not allowed to use Rev, Sister, Dr, Prof etc
    Certainly not Sir, Duke, baron etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Titles, knighthoods, nobility, hereditary peerage, monarchy... all ridiculously outmoded concepts from the dark ages that should be rendered obsolete but the great and the good just can't resist stroking themselves in public.

It's just a country acknowledging someone's achievements, that's all. No biggy.

One of my old neighbours got an OBE for running a netball club for over thirty years. It was awarded because the people who had benefited from her work nominated her for an award. It's good that people who do voluntary work get recognised.

No, I can use the title alright.

All I have to do now is earn one by making a substantial contribution to art, education, business and enterprise, or public life.

That's the problematic bit :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

what are the advantages and disadvantages ? is it worth anything ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement