Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daniel Day-Lewis to be knighted

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

It is "an honour".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Dave! wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/daniel-day-lewis-to-be-knighted-by-queen-elizabeth-1.1831985

1,100 people, jayzus! Feeling kinda sh*tty that I didn't make the list tbh.

However having said that, I would probably say "thanks, but I'm grand" if I was offered. What about ye – would you accept a knighthood?

Under no circumstances would I allow myself to be subjected to the institutionalised rudeness that comes with meeting the UK's queen. That woman really needs to get over herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

popolive wrote: »
    what are the advantages and disadvantages ? is it worth anything ?

I suppose it depends on your situation, but one recipient of a knighthood said that the only difference it made to his life was that he was constantly overcharged everywhere he went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Candie wrote: »
    No, I can use the title alright.

All I have to do now is earn one by making a substantial contribution to art, education, business and enterprise, or public life.

That's the problematic bit :(.

Or you could just make a large donation to a political party in the UK, which works as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

That's me unable to take him seriously ever again. Like when Limerick Uni gave Jack Charlton an honorary degree. They should have given him an honorary primary cert.. When you think how students break their butts to get a degree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Under no circumstances would I allow myself to be subjected to the institutionalised rudeness that comes with meeting the UK's queen. That woman really needs to get over herself.

What rudeness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

What rudeness?

That you have to obey a protocol when meeting her.Why can't she just be treated like a regular person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

That you have to obey a protocol when meeting her.Why can't she just be treated like a regular person.

Same as when meeting any head of state, protocol is involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Same as when meeting any head of state, protocol is involved.

That's equally rude.If shaking some one by the hand and saying "how are you first name" isn't good enough for them then they can **** off, they're not worth meeting.

• Advertisement

That's equally rude.If shaking some one by the hand and saying "how are you first name" isn't good enough for them then they can **** off, they're not worth meeting.

Ah well, if you have no respect for your betters then I'm guessing you're not getting a knighthood ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Ah well, if you have no respect for your betters then I'm guessing you're not getting a knighthood ;)

What used to be regarded as our betters, according to our parents,(I am 64 to give you an idea) The church, your priest, your local bank manager, your solicitor, your local guard, your local pillar of society the employer have all been exposed as what corruption really is. What is your opinion of your betters today.
    I know mine. €300 million written of for a political friend, that sort of explains it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Of course I know what RoG's answer would be if he was offered.

ogara.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I would refused such a title not just from the uk queen lady but from any country as I disagree with monarchies. Likewise I would refuse an honorary degree because, it is not comparable to 4 year of serious study and following of conventions and is much more objective, and lead to me toos, where once an individual gets their first accolade other institutions line up to offer you theirs. It become a case of clinging to the celebrity of an individual and trying to illustre an institution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

What rudeness?

For example:-

The woman has no clue how to behave.

For example:-

The woman has no clue how to behave.

Incorrect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I turned down a CH four years ago and an offer from Aosdana in 2002 (?), they tap you up in private first so you can refuse privately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

what a load of bollox, Id love to give her a punt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

I think I would accept the knighthood but refuse the title - ie. not want to be known as Sir Degag. If that were possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

They should make a movie about it!

They really shouldn't

• Advertisement
Advertisement