Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's happening in...

Options
  • 13-06-2014 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

...the Naas Road at Newlands Cross? Coming from Dublin on the right there is a ginormous wall right along the road as if they're building a very large prison.

Also, what's happening on the Ratoath Road before the Royal Canal/train line on the right as you're coming from Cabra? It seems like they're making a motorway right next to the fairly small road and old stone bridge, but I can't see a motorway going over the canal/train track.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The Ratoath Rd is a bridge so the level crossing can be closed. Not sure about Newlands Cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

gaiscioch wrote: »
    ...the Naas Road at Newlands Cross? Coming from Dublin on the right there is a ginormous wall right along the road as if they're building a very large prison.

Also, what's happening on the Ratoath Road before the Royal Canal/train line on the right as you're coming from Cabra? It seems like they're making a motorway right next to the fairly small road and old stone bridge, but I can't see a motorway going over the canal/train track.

Its the road straightening project. They are building a new bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Its the road straightening project. They are building a new bridge

Interesting. I hope they are leaving the old one for heritage purposes (as it must be from around 1800). It gives a bit of character to the place. In Navan years ago they built a new, much bigger, badly-needed bridge but left the old bridge from the 18th century alone.

Interesting. I hope they are leaving the old one for heritage purposes (as it must be from around 1800). It gives a bit of character to the place. In Navan years ago they built a new, much bigger, badly-needed bridge but left the old bridge from the 18th century alone.

They'll be closing it but not knocking it. There won't be any traffic allowed over the level crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055686254

basically, getting rid of the traffic lights, creating a free-flow junction

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

That artist's impression is much prettier than the reality I believe. The artist portrays the wall in a light cream/yellow colour whereas the reality is dark grey. Its going to be a depressing sight but having had to sit at those lights regularly over the last ten years, it will hopefully be better traffic-wise. It will look horrendous. What do the planners/architects care, they won't have to live there or look at it for the rest of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

Update, on the Ratoath Road bridge. I see this structure being fabricated on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

FunkyDa2 wrote: »
    Update, on the Ratoath Road bridge. I see this structure being fabricated on site.

That's some size beam to get across a mere canal.

A mere canal and a double track line... It's quite wide there if you have a look on google maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The work is actually stretching all the way to the junction with the Ballyboggan Road, and a good distance into Cabra on the opposite side.

I feel sorry for the Campbell's Garage guys, they'll miss out on a fair amount of passing trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

The work is actually stretching all the way to the junction with the Ballyboggan Road, and a good distance into Cabra on the opposite side.

I feel sorry for the Campbell's Garage guys, they'll miss out on a fair amount of passing trade.

A place to get a cup of coffee and a snack would be nice to have, just about there...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

You'll find all you need to know here. Lots of interesting photos at the bottom of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

January wrote: »
    A mere canal and a double track line... It's quite wide there if you have a look on google maps.

Yea its going to be interesting to see how the left them into place. It's very wide the gap they are spanning.

It will be good for the cycle path / road as there'll be no stopping to check when you reach that junction, they'll probably align it better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    You'll find all you need to know here. Lots of interesting photos at the bottom of the page.

Anyone know why the decided to raise up the major road, 4 lanes in each direction needing two bridges, rather than build a bridge say with 2 lanes in each direction on the minor road?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Anyone know why the decided to raise up the major road, 4 lanes in each direction needing two bridges, rather than build a bridge say with 2 lanes in each direction on the minor road?

The bridge crossing the major road would require a longer span, maybe it was decided it was cheaper to go with more bridge beams than the longer beams and additional engineering works required to span the N7. Also, I'm sure the alignment of the roads on approach to the junction determines if one road can get up, over and down the other side plus the slip lanes on/off have to be accommodated.

Advertisement