Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Club application process

Options
  • 13-06-2014 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭

Guys,

Firstly, let me say I'm not looking for any changes to the process while the Real Madrid applicationa are flowing in.

BUT ...

Just looking at the figures Wilberto(one of those who must be obeyed) posted in the Waiting list thread, I wonder should we adjust the final deciding statistic.

Let me explain:

This is the current top9(i've removed madrid):
    Manager | Points | Ave Pts | Games | Club
    Eddy Mac | 340 | 2.15 | 158 | Borussia Dortmund
    Dave Shadow | 327 | 2.27 | 144 | Tottenham Hotspur
    Sepp Blatter | 323 | 2.1 | 154 | Juventus
    Al Capwned | 300 | 2.24 | 134 | Barcelona
    Daniel White | 291 | 2.11 | 138 | Liverpool
    Neil McDonald | 269 | 2.12 | 127 | Spartak Moskva
    Eh i dunno | 266 | 2.09 | 127 | Aston Villa
    Daniel O Neill | 265 | 1.99 | 133 | Shanghai Shenhua
    KERSPLAT! ! | 256 | 2.06 | 124 | Bayern München

Lets assume Juventus, Liverpool and Spartak Apply for the vacant Madrid job...

With out current rules, Juventus get the Job as they are rated higher than the other 2 (i.e. they have collected more point) .... My issue with this method is that in this example Juve have also had 16 games more than Liverpool and 27 games more than Spartak. So you might say 'no wonder they have more points'.

My personal opinion is that it should go by Avg points, it seems fairer, eg if you take Gremio, Braga or Bordeaux to name but a few and go on a 25-30game winning / no loosing streak, you could end up with the highest avg in the GW ... surely this is better than the current rule, where the more games you have played the more chance you have of having amased the highest number of points and should there for get the job...

So the question is to be answered by 23:59 on 20/07 is ...

as outlined in the poll

How should we allocate vacant jobs to managers? 10 votes

Use the overall manager rankings - based on total points gathered (*CURRENT*)
    0%
    Use avg pts stat
    80%
    bazarakusLord TSCKERSPLAT!pepper180TheGunnshufpc8w3adnk65Jimmy Rabbitte SnrBurlap_Sack 8 votes
    Use avg pts stat, if >1 mgr applies 4 club, only mgrs with min. X games get considered.
    20%
    ColemaniaRickyOFlaherty 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Voted "Use avg pts stat, if >1 mgr applies 4 club, only mgrs with min. X games get considered"

And propose managers need 20games under their belt to be able to be in the pot with other managers if a club attracks multiple applicants - If a club only draws one application, then the managers game count should not matter.

i.e. if your game count is 15 and the club available has 5mgrs applying, you dont get considered in reconning for the roll, if however the job you applied for has no other applicant then your game counts does not matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Use avg pts stat
    Let me start by saying this makes no odds to me as I won't be moving but..

Juve have more games due to getting further in cups etc so they earned those possible points.

Fine the way it is IMO

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Juve have more games due to getting further in cups etc so they earned those possible points.

Fine the way it is IMO

Juve could also just have more points because in this example they have been in the gameworld (much) longer ...

oh and yeah, the result of this will not affect me in the slightest as the Porto Chairman has locked my passport in his safe and he has vowed never to release me ... little does he know I'm happy here :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Fine the way it is IMO

I get your point in reference to Juve but that wouldn't neccessarily be true in all cases.

Do you reward the manager who has played one outstanding season, or a manager who has performed solidly for two seasons? (I know the difference in games played won't always be this big but it's just to make the point) - I think we all agreed jobs would be given based on "experience" as well as talent.

Use avg pts stat
    GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Juve could also just have more points because they have been in the gameworld much longer ...

oh and yeah, the result of this will not affect me in the slightest as the Porto Chairman has locked my passport in his safe and he has vowed never to release me ... little does he know I'm happy here :p

My post was a reply to your statement that Juve had more games, I was simply explaining why and that they deserved the extra points, if gained in those extra games, because they would have been from progressing through the cups etc

• Advertisement

My post was a reply to your statement that Juve had more games, I was simply explaining why and that they deserved the extra points, if gained in those extra games, because they would have been from progressing through the cups etc

I know, but I'm just putting another reason out there as to why they might have more points.

Use avg pts stat
    I get your point in reference to Juve but that wouldn't neccessarily be true in all cases.

Do you reward the manager who has played one outstanding season, or a manager who has performed solidly for two seasons? (I know the difference in games played won't always be this big but it's just to make the point) - I think we all agreed jobs would be given based on "experience" as well as talent.

I dunno if its because I'm tired or whatever but I don't understand your post. I would reward whichever one is highest in the ranking system that the game uses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I dunno if its because I'm tired or whatever but I don't understand your post. I would reward whichever one is highest in the ranking system that the game uses

I must be tired too becuase I don't think I understand it either :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I'm bolloxed, and I haven't a fecking clue what ye're on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

You know...

I was going to ask about this and enquire I'd there is a more accurate system as I went for a lot of jobs recently and missed out on ALL!!

But its strange how things work out and I can't ser myself leaving Lazio anytime soon now...

Not even the champs the mighty Madrid tempt me....

That being said, I do think there is something in this. It's a system that could be improved upon but not exactly sure on what the solution is!!! Should jobs be given based on 'winning - highest ranked' criteria or should we reward managers who have 'most time served' or is there another solution....

Not sure on this, either way it's something to be looked at and discussed for sure

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

This is also something that I have looked at ever since I started doing up the tables myself. On the face of it, it does seem the fairest way to reward the more competent manager. However, if a new manager were to take charge of a team, win the first 2 or 3 games, they will have an average rating of 3.

Similar to what Hercule said, it depends on what type of managers you want to reward, i.e. the long serving solid ones, or the apparent extremely competent ones. Ideally, you'd want to incorporate both into the final decision, but that would mean using both Manager Ranking and Average Rating together which could get slightly messy.

Although, (and this is just me thinking aloud), one way of doing this is to implement a system where, the average ranking is taken into consideration where the ranking of the two/three/four top applicants are within, say, 10 of each other. That way, there is less emphasis on the manager ranking as all a manager has to have is a rank of within 10 of the top applicant to "get through to the next round", where the average rank is considered. Obviously then, of these applicants, the one with the best average rating gets the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Jimmy Rabbitte Snr

Use avg pts stat
    Current system works... Why complicate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

I don't see the always give me the job I think it's a fatal error;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭bazarakus

Use avg pts stat
    I thought it was decided on manager rating?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Use avg pts stat
    I like the current system.

As was pointed out, the higher points score coming from higher games can be easily explained. But on top of that, I think people who have lasted a long time at a single club should be rewarded for that as well.

Right, I know that can seem a tad unfair to the new people who join, but honestly, I think that if someone has been playing for ages, has stuck with one team, AND has made them one of the most successful, then that should all be considered when choosing who gets teams. If someone has been playing in this world for ages and loyalty should be rewarded, both loyalty to club and to the game world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Not so bolloxed any more, so I've decided I don't like this idea - Reasons? Just read TSC's post above mine. Pretty much nailed it.

ok I'll reittterate agian that this doesnt actually affect me as I will not be moving clubs... ever Barca, Real, PSG, Bayern even newcastle have all come up an not once have I applied...

I get what people are saying on going further in cups etc ... but you could have 2 managers in for a job, on playing his 3rd seaons and not doing great but gathering 150pts over 3 seasons, the other manager is in the game 2 seasons but has had 2 stormers, and gathered 140pts ....

now lets just assume its on,y league games,

Mgr1 - 38games*3seasons = 114games --- 150pts / 114games = avg 1.31
    Mgr2 - 38games*2seasons = 76games ---- 140pts / 76games = avg 1.84

Tell me who is the more deserving manager?

Reason I use this example is to show that seniority doesnt always mean you are more deserving of the new club ...

Also, in the future you could potentially have managers that are really close together in points after 10-12 seasons but the winning manager getting the job because he signed up 6,8,10,12 weeks earlier?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Using this example with my earlier suggestion, the second manager would get the job!

You still need to implement total manager points into the decision as you want to reward loyalty as well as competence..

That said, do we want to over complicate the way the process works. Or rather, is it worth over complicating the process?

Use avg pts stat
    Wilberto wrote: »
    That said, do we want to over complicate the way the process works. Or rather, is it worth over complicating the process?

Fine the way it is and I say that as someone who will probably never use the system again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I had thought about this a while ago, but how about you use the points the applicants club have got throughout the season? That way, the best performing managers are at the top, and it still gives new managers a chance to get the top jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

if it ain't broke.......... DONT FIX IT.

imho it is kinda broke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭bazarakus

Use avg pts stat
    Leave as is. Change sux.

Advertisement