Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-social behaviour along canal

Options
  • 14-06-2014 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi fellow residents

I emailed the letter below to TDs Francis Fitzgerald, Derek Keating and Joanna Tuffy. I am also going to hand over to local garda station.

I hope you havent but if felt any intimidation, harrassement along the canal during summer time, please contact them to get their attention on this issue.

Appreciate your input and help on this matter.

"Hi Ms. Fitzgerald

First of all congratulations on your new role as the Minister for Justice. We wish you all the best.

The reason for email is to bring your attention to Anti- social behavior along the Canal under Criminal Justice Act, Part 11 and Part 13.

I cycle to work every day from Lucan to Baggot Street and was harassed and intimidated on 13th June @ around 18:30 when cycling back to home.
    The location of incident was when approaching Park West along the cycle route.

I am really concerned about my safety and worried to take cycle along the canal again. I wonder what could happen next. I also of worry about my son’s safety whom sometime cycle with me along canal over weekends.

I also wonder why such a small population of anti-social individuals are allowed to ruin our communities. May be its time we have a zero-tolerance towards this behaviour.

Please help me and other fellow users of canal cycle ways to feel secure and enjoy this beautiful facility to cycle and make our environment green.

I believe it’s not an isolated incident and can’t be ignored as ‘kids messing about’! I appreciate your consideration and look forward to your actions on this.

Thanks"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,888 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Guy I used to work with cycles into work that way, said the same thing a couple of years ago. Sun comes out, shirts come off, Dutch Gold drunk all day and it gets messy. It's not on a road so gardai don't know or care. Don't expect Tuffy to take any action against her core work-shy constituency.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

This week was pretty bad. First sunny week with no school I guess. I had stones thrown at me on Monday and a plastic bottle full of water on the Friday. Both by kids at that spot near Park West that you mention.

It's a pity it happened to you at 18:30 on Friday as when the bottle was thrown at me it was just after 17:30 and I phoned the number associated with the CCTV security cameras they operate along that route. The guy I spoke with said he was watching them and he was reporting it - but if they were still at it an hour later - I guess nobody cares. There was a CCTV camera right beside the kids where they had gathered at the canal lock.

I only started using that cycle path in April. Great path but now I've to consider my safety on the path vs. taking to the roads.

Keep reporting the incidents though. The CCTV pole at the next bridge - heading west - has a mobile number on it. Or PM me if you want it (not sure if putting a mobile number here is allowed).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 onerone

oh no a few stone s thrown at you aren't u glad ur not in Iraq where they actually stone u to death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

onerone wrote: »
    oh no a few stone s thrown at you aren't u glad ur not in Iraq where they actually stone u to death

Still doesnt make it right what the little f*cks are up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

And that makes it ok then does it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭micar

ok some changes

I;ve asked you to provide more details. Make it more personal particularly with the incident and when your son is concerned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Fitzgerald_%28politician%29

She has 3 children. You can exploit the fact that she's a mother who would be very protective of her children. Be careful what you say and make it short. something like this "As a mother of 3 yourself, you surely can appreciate my concern regarding my son".

Contact your local Fianna Fail TD.

Dear Ms. Fitzgerald

First of all congratulations on your new role as the Minister for Justice. I wish you all the best.

The reason for email is to bring your attention to Anti- social behavior along the Canal under Criminal Justice Act, Part 11 and Part 13.

quote the legislation

I cycle to work every day from Lucan to Baggot Street (provide the distance each way) and was harassed and intimidated on 13th June @ around 18:30 when cycling back to home.
    The location of incident was when approaching Park West along the cycle route. ( explain what happened, and what was said., provide numbers of people involved, gender and age group, was there alcohol involved and did they appear underage?, you can use underage drinking as a factor.... how did they get alcohol)

I am really concerned about my safety and am worried to cycle along the canal again. The next incident maybe more serious. I also worry about my son’s (what's his age) safety who I take for a cycle along the same stretch at the weekend.

How can a small population of anti-social individuals be allowed to ruin our communities? These individuals should be held accountable for their actions.

Please help me and other users (you should include walkers, runners and cyclists) of the canal ways to feel secure and to be able to enjoy this beautiful facility without being intimidated.

This is not an isolated incident and can’t simply be ignored as ‘kids messing about’!

I appreciate your consideration and look forward to your response.

Yours faithfully"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

For cycling??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Judging by that appalling grammar I assume you are throwing the stones?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 onerone

oh no I forgot about the full stop, shoot me. I dream about going to a boards meeting with an ak47 and blowing u all away

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Shall we drop napalm on the scummers, then?
    oh no I forgot about the full stop, shoot me. I dream about going to a boards meeting with an ak47 and blowing u all away
    I'm guessing you're about 14?

=-=

I find the police don't often come along, as they know full well said scummers will be out in an hour or two, and most likely back to the same spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Blowing you all is more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Take a month away from DCW, that sort of attitude won't be accepted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

onerone - site banned permanently by the Admins.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I was using the canal for a while earlier in the year, but wouldn't dream of using it these days. It's the typical Irish situation, where a handful of individuals ruin things for the majority. What annoys me is that they're allowed to get away with it. What's the point of spending the money on a lovely cycling/walking path, if it's not safe for people to actually use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

roonimirza wrote: »
    I hope you havent but if felt any intimidation, harrassement along the canal during summer time, please contact them to get their attention on this issue.

Hi roonimirza,

Since April I have also been in contact with each of the public representatives about this issue. I decided to raise the issue then in the hope that things might have been improved ahead of the usual summer increase in bad behaviour (I guess it didn't work :().

For the record, here's what I sent back in April:

Dear TD,

I am a constituent of yours (name and address below) and I am writing to you to draw your attention to the almost constant anti-social behaviour and public drinking along the Grand Canal cycleway.

I use the cycleway two to three times a week as part of my cycle commute into the city centre and witness either anti-social behaviour and/or public drinking along the canal almost every time on my way home. Frankly, it's gotten to the stage that - as I type - I am dreading the journey home this evening. The situation is particularly bad around the 9th Lock. In fact, passing through this area last week, a fellow cyclist (not acquainted with me) stated: "I won't be coming this way again!". Note also, threads like this on the Boards.ie site: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056993243.

I note that Section 2 of the Local Govt. Act 1994 Bye-laws for Prohibiting the Consumption of Intoxicating Liquor in Public Places within the County of South Dublin states:

.....a person shall not –

1) consume or attempt to consume intoxicating liquor in a public place within the functional area of the Council or

2) possess intoxicating liquor in a public place within the functional area of the Council with the intention to consume it in a public place or to supply it to any person for consumption in a public place within the functional area.

Clearly, these bye-laws are being ignored by some members of the public and are not being enforced by An Garda Siochana. This is a real shame, considering how valuable an amenity such as the Grand Canal Cycleway is to the people of Clondalkin and as an integral part of the recently announced GDA Cycle Network Plan (http://www.nationaltransport.ie/publications/transport-planning/gda-cycle-network-plan/). What should be a widely used resource for the decent people of Clondalkin has been effectively made a no-go area - certainly for families. I know I wouldn't bring my son near the area. Which is a shame too as I'd love to be able to show him the wildlife in the area and give him some history on the importance of the canal to the area in times gone by.

I ask you, as a representative of Dublin Mid-West, is the Grand Canal Cycleway in place to facilitate public drinking and anti-social behaviour, or is it an amenity to be enjoyed safely and appropriately by all the people of Clondalkin?

Yours Sincerely,

NS77

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

...and the replies:

ROBERT DOWDS, TD 14/04/14:

Dear NS77,

Many thanks for your email. I read the Boards.ie page and it is very distressing to hear of this type of carry on. It is a great amenity, but this kind of thuggery is unacceptable and obviously ruining it for many people.

I will contact both the county council and the Gardaí about improving security along the canal. I will also seek to raise it at the next Joint Policing meeting with the community.

When I get a response from either the Gardaí or the Council, I will forward it on to you and we will take it from there.

Best Wishes,

Robert

FRANCES FITZGERALD, TD 11/04/14:

Dear NS77,

Many thanks for your detailed and informative email, and for taking the time to contact me.

I do agree that the Grand Canal Cycleway is a beautiful area and it's a real shame you feel it's being spoiled for local residents due to antisocial behaviour. Indeed, one of my staff here in the office is himself a regular bike commuter from the city centre to Clondalkin and he always praises the canal path as the nicest place along his route. (Indeed only last week he mentioned that he'd seen a barge on the canal for the first time - this barge, which I understand is a restoration project: http://heritageboatassociation.ie/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=117&Itemid=64)

Tackling this type of antisocial behaviour would require improved enforcement as well as increased vigilance from the local population. I understand that there are security cameras at certain sections along the canal, but perhaps this resource is not being used as effectively as it could be.

If you agree, I will make representations to the Council to see if they are aware of the problem, and what if any course of action they propose to take. Contact with the Gardai may also be appropriate.

I would also encourage you or any other concerned citizens who use the canal walk and cycle-ways to report anti-social or dangerous behaviour to the Gardai whenever you encounter it. This way, Gardai will gain an increased understanding of the severity of the problem. Community engagement can be as important as enforcement in this type of situation.

NS77, I thank you again for making me aware of this issue and I look forward to hearing from you again if there's anything else I can do.

Yours sincerely,

Frances

DEREK KEATING, TD 12/04/14:

Dear NS77,

Thank you for your email and for your very detailed and comprehensive report on this problem. Of course I would like to help you in every way that I can to resolve this dreadful problem.

Would you please email me your your mobile number, and I will call you when convenient for you to talk.

I look forward to talking to you soon NS77.

Kind regards for now

Yours sincerely,

Derek.

JOANNA TUFFY, TD 11/04/2014

Dear NS77,

Further to your e-mail regarding drinking/anti-social behaviour around the Grand Canal Walk/Cycle Path, I am taking this matter up with the authorities and as soon as I have a response, I will let you know.

In the meantime, I attach below a response I received to a I representation I made on behalf of another constituent regarding the general condition of the walk/cycle way due to litter, dumping etc. I have referred the matter to Waterways Ireland and as soon as I get their response, I will let you know also.

Best wishes,

Yours sincerely,
    Joanna Tuffy

I use it myself going into work but on nice days avoid it on the way home which is after 5pm, 10pm or even 1am and 3am. I used to go up through Crumlin/Long Mile Rd, now I'm trying out the Naas Rd as far as the Long Mile. It's a pain in the arse but it takes the same amount of time.

From experience dealing with similar in work, unless you can have a Garda/Security presence all the time they will keep coming back or just moving to a new point. I think the canal is dealt with by 3 possibly 4 Garda stations between Bluebell and Lucan so that doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I walk along the canal from parkwest to clondalkin and I've noticed there are far less families using it in the evenings. 2 years ago I used to run the same route in the summer between 7-9pm and there were always lots of families out cycling, fishing, walking. There was always a nice vibe and it felt very safe. There's always gangs of adults drinking on it now in the evenings and while I'm sure they're fine it makes me a bit nervous of I'm on my own. I went on it on my own on one of those nicest days a couple of weeks ago around 8.30. I met very few walkers and had to pass a gang of 20/30 teenagers drinking, swimming and just generally having a party. Intimidated wasn't the word. If that stretch of the canal isn't used by the general public routinely it'll become a no-go area which will be very sad for the local communities.

I'm going to mail those TDs the other poster contacted as it's something I feel strongly about. It's one of the few lovely amenities we have in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I walk along the canal from parkwest to clondalkin and I've noticed there are far less families using it in the evenings. 2 years ago I used to run the same route in the summer between 7-9pm and there were always lots of families out cycling, fishing, walking. There was always a nice vibe and it felt very safe. There's always gangs of adults drinking on it now in the evenings and while I'm sure they're fine it makes me a bit nervous of I'm on my own. I went on it on my own on one of those nicest days a couple of weeks ago around 8.30. I met very few walkers and had to pass a gang of 20/30 teenagers drinking, swimming and just generally having a party. Intimidated wasn't the word. If that stretch of the canal isn't used by the general public routinely it'll become a no-go area which will be very sad for the local communities.

I'm going to mail those TDs the other poster contacted as it's something I feel strongly about. It's one of the few lovely amenities we have in this area.

Spot on about the risk of it becoming a no go area, there needs to be regular blitzes to try to get to grips with it. I wonder how much of the problem on the enforcement side stems from the canal being on the boundary of the ballyfermot and clondalkin garda districts, most of the kids come from and return to cherry orchard (based purely on my own observations) and the ballyfermot gardai are probably happy as long as they're on the other side of the canal out of their area. Clondalkin gardai don't seem too bothered as long as it doesn't come further than the canal bank.

its a bit like the ongoing 'cleanup' of O'Connell st and surrounding streets led by store street gardai which simply sees the junkies and alcos 'moved on' to the other side of the river making it pearse streets problem

Advertisement