Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

research MSc/PhD question

Options
  • 13-06-2014 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

A little off subject but could some one offer advice. My brother has just completed a 4 year degree obtaining a Bachelor of Science in Computing. His tutor contacted him about doing a further 2 years and i quote ' It is a research MSc/PhD, basically it involves building and testing of advanced software within the Institute including mobile apps and other cloud-based solutions for third level education. If the MSc is going well you would convert to PhD. ' .... So my question, what does it sound like he would obtain a PhD in? And What pay scale could he expect following completion of the PhD?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Technically all PhDs are Doctors of Philosophy, but he would basically have a PhD in Computer Science.

Entry level salaries for PhDs are still quite small, because they have little work experience, but typically PhDs go one of two ways:

- Stay in the university and teach/research. This is personally gratifying and if you get a full time professorship is good money with great hours.
    - Get hired into R&D roles in the private sector, which are initially quite well paid (50k+) but can get you into really good places if you can up to the level of leading research teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Caffrey82

seamus wrote: »
    Technically all PhDs are Doctors of Philosophy, but he would basically have a PhD in Computer Science.

Entry level salaries for PhDs are still quite small, because they have little work experience, but typically PhDs go one of two ways:

- Stay in the university and teach/research. This is personally gratifying and if you get a full time professorship is good money with great hours.
    - Get hired into R&D roles in the private sector, which are initially quite well paid (50k+) but can get you into really good places if you can up to the level of leading research teams.

Sounds good! At the min he is considering getting a job at entry level (1 or 2) which from looking at your posts may mean salary up to €32k to start. Whereas if he done his PhD he could be looking at entry level of €50k+ for same or similar company? But then I guess it may depend on the career he wants? ie his passion may not be research, he wants to be a software developer! Just trying to help him choose whether or not it's worth another 2 years in college? If the PhD doesn't contribute to this area in the working world?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

thread split and moved

Advertisement