Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Meter Question

Options
  • 14-06-2014 3:05am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

So I received this lovely(!) piece of post through my letterbox this morning.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ritcg6wwdoyke6t/image.jpg

Anyone else get this?

Can't use hot water or shower for a period of up to 3 days apparently!

I live in the Graigue area so those of you around Carlow keep an eye out!

Was talking to a friend up near Hanover who hasn't heard anything yet.

Thoughts of paying for water on top of everything else!

Not happy! :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

They are starting to put them up around the askea area in my friends estate already. :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

herisson wrote: »
    They are starting to put them up around the askea area in my friends estate already. :/

Oh really? That's interesting.

I know people who live in Milford who pay for their water already, I wonder will they have to pay Irish Water too?

Crazy thing really, charging for water.

It's just another tax IMO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

It's a crazy thing charging for water?

People think there are no costs involved in getting water into a house. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Oh really? That's interesting.

I know people who live in Milford who pay for their water already, I wonder will they have to pay Irish Water too?

Crazy thing really, charging for water.

It's just another tax IMO!

If they are in a group water scheme or have their own well then no they dont have to pay a second charge afaik.

I have no problem with the concept of paying for clean drinking water, the idea everyone is entitled to free drinking water is strange considering we pay for other vital services.

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    It's a crazy thing charging for water?

People think there are no costs involved in getting water into a house. :rolleyes:

It's just another tax!

Money from taxes already funds water sources and getting it cleaned and stuff and now we have a separate charge?

It's like a double tax!

I can see why so many people are upset!

• Advertisement

Owryan wrote: »
    If they are in a group water scheme or have their own well then no they dont have to pay a second charge afaik.

I have no problem with the concept of paying for clean drinking water, the idea everyone is entitled to free drinking water is strange considering we pay for other vital services.

Thanks for that.

I really hope this tax is reasonably priced though.

Alan you can call it a tax if you wish however it costs alot of money to deliver drinkable water to your house.

Many people have their own well, they payed to have it bored and pay to have it pumped. They pay to maintain and service the system.

Why should some people get free water whilst others have to pay for it (as above)?

We are one of the last first world countries to adopt water metering.

Alan you can call it a tax if you wish however it costs alot of money to deliver drinkable water to your house.

Many people have their own well, they payed to have it bored and pay to have it pumped. They pay to maintain and service the system.

Why should some people get free water whilst others have to pay for it (as above)?

We are one of the last first world countries to adopt water metering.

Yeah I understand that.

I just really hope their prices are reasonable.

I wonder will paying for water fix the hard water/lime issue that's in Graigue?

I wonder will paying for water fix the hard water/lime issue that's in Graigue?

People certainly should have more a say over the quality of water they receive.

People certainly should have more a say over the quality of water they receive.

My water literally erodes my kettles!

Very annoying so I hope they fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

So I received this lovely(!) piece of post through my letterbox this morning.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ritcg6wwdoyke6t/image.jpg

Anyone else get this?

Can't use hot water or shower for a period of up to 3 days apparently!

I live in the Graigue area so those of you around Carlow keep an eye out!

Was talking to a friend up near Hanover who hasn't heard anything yet.

Thoughts of paying for water on top of everything else!

Not happy! :mad:
    Where did you get this idea from?

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Where did you get this idea from?

Says it on the leaflet that came through the door.

Says you can use the cold water and the toilet but not a washing machine/dishwasher, shower or hot tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Everything depends on the cold supply to some extent (even the 'banned' items use the cold supply to replace what you've used) so I'd say you can still use them but you should expect the supply to be cut off at any time. It doesn't necessarily mean you won't have any supply for up to 3 days, from my understanding they're pretty quick at installing the meters. I'd be pretty certain any interruption would only be during working hours so you'll be able to do you washing, showering, etc all through from evening to next morning.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Everything you've listed depends on the cold supply to some extent (even the 'banned' items use the cold supply to replace what you've used) so I'd say you can still use them but you should expect the supply to be cut off at any time.

I'm not a plumber so I haven't a notion as to what uses water and from where! :P

Yeah it mentions that the supply will be cut off and turned back on a few times whilst the Meter is being fitted.

Tomorrow (Well today) is the day anyway so I'll see how it goes!

Just an update, no meter installer as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Says it on the leaflet that came through the door.

Says you can use the cold water and the toilet but not a washing machine/dishwasher, shower or hot tap.

Only while the install is being done, they will knock on your door beforehand to let you know and it will take upto 4 hours and that's it so at most 4 hours no water.

Just an update, they went around the estate marking where all the boxes will be and there's one right outside my door.

They're currently putting up the orange barriers.

I overheard one of them saying that drilling will begin tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Arthur B

Hi, I read the thread and was wondering of they have installed it or not:)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

The paddocks and Browneshill wood is done anyway. Had to call irishwater the day it was installed as the installer forgot to turn it back on, 24 hour service and they had someone out in just over an hour(could of done it myself but was not sure there wasn't a reason it was off)

Arthur B wrote: »
    Hi, I read the thread and was wondering of they have installed it or not:)

Forgot all about this thread!

Yeah it's well done at this stage :pac:

Bit of concrete and a little circle to mark the box.

They're still doing some parts of Carlow atm though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Arthur B

OK, would you know what parts exactly?

The Green Road is currently being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I wonder do they actually have any plans to come back for the orange barriers they've left all over some estates for the last couple of weeks!:rolleyes:

Advertisement