Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could sony remake Crash Bandicoot?

Options
  • 14-06-2014 3:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭

I know Activision have the rights but they have the rights to publish the first 3 crash bandicoots so would they be allowed to remake those games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I know Activision have the rights but they have the rights to publish the first 3 crash bandicoots so would they be allowed to remake those games?

They'd still need to be in agreement over it and how likely is that's when there was no Crash in PlayStation All-Stars.

Sony would have to probably develop it themselves and have to pay out a large amount to Activision, I don't think they's enough potential people who'd want it for that to be worth while.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I really hope they acquire the rights back. Crash Team Racing on PS4 please.

Keno wrote: »
    I really hope they acquire the rights back. Crash Team Racing on PS4 please.

Not sure there's much value in platform mascot characters any more, outside of Nintendo.

But as they're not doing anything with it and unlikely to, if Sony wanted it they likely could buy it back without spending too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

No.

Leave the series as is.Why does everything have to require a reboot these days? The world's moved on from Crash and his island hopping,vortex travelling shenanigans.They made 4 (5 if you count Crash Bash) fun and addictive games that are some of the best platformers around.

Everytime a studio tries to recapture Crash and the series in the last few years they have stuck with the same formula and the gameplay isn't fresh enough to catch up with what other IP's are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I am surprised Activision haven't done a Crash style Skylanders yet seeing as Spyro was a clone of Crash to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,461 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I played through the original only a few weeks ago. Time has not been kind and the game was never that good to begin with. Why bother resurrecting it when there's new stuff to be made and nintendo are putting out similar games that are leagues ahead of anything the series ever did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

I remember the Official UK PSM giving a mock interview with Crash after CB3:

"I never want to see another bloody crate again."

:-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Burky126 wrote: »
    No.

Leave the series as is.Why does everything have to require a reboot these days? The world's moved on from Crash and his island hopping,vortex travelling shenanigans.They made 4 (5 if you count Crash Bash) fun and addictive games that are some of the best platformers around.

Everytime a studio tries to recapture Crash and the series in the last few years they have stuck with the same formula and the gameplay isn't fresh enough to catch up with what other IP's are doing.

Me and my mates always play a bit of crash bandicoot (the originals) when were drinking before going out. Anyone that ever drinks with us always love joining in too.

And judging by the number of downloads the classics have on the psn store a crash PS4 remake would do very wel provided naughty dog made it.

Me and my mates always play a bit of crash bandicoot (the originals) when were drinking before going out. Anyone that ever drinks with us always love joining in too.

And judging by the number of downloads the classics have on the psn store a crash PS4 remake would do very wel provided naughty dog made it.

They wouldn't get the same return as any of their new IPs, so there's no chance of that.

Varik wrote: »
    They wouldn't get the same return as any of their new IPs, so there's no chance of that.

It woul certainly do better than some of their IP's. They will do it if they can get the rights for cheap.

Activision have killed the franchise and it will never do well under them. The rights can't be worth much but whether they'd be willing to sell for heap I doubt it.

• Advertisement

It woul certainly do better than some of their IP's. They will do it if they can get the rights for cheap.

It's did better than Jak series which I actually prefer where is was comparable at the time, but in today's market there's no way it would sell enough to make it a credible choice over their last 2 ips or even a new ip.

The advances in performance capture and expertise that ND have utilized in their recent games would be completly wasted on Crash Bandicoot.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I played through the original only a few weeks ago. Time has not been kind and the game was never that good to begin with. Why bother resurrecting it when there's new stuff to be made and nintendo are putting out similar games that are leagues ahead of anything the series ever did.

crash bandicoot 2 and 3 are lightyears ahead of the first. Play them on a vita and they look just fine.

Varik wrote: »
    It's did better than Jak series which I actually prefer where is was comparable at the time, but in today's market there's no way it would sell enough to make it a credible choice over their last 2 ips or even a new ip.

The advances in performance capture and expertise that ND have utilized in their recent games would be completly wasted on Crash Bandicoot.

Agreed but they could set up a new small team to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Agreed but they could set up a new small team to do it.

I'd prefer they create a new IP to be honest. I view ND as one of, if not the best game development companies in the console space at the moment and so think it would be a waste for them to recover old ground instead of creating a new IP, something they have proven time and again that they can do successfully.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,461 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

crash bandicoot 2 and 3 are lightyears ahead of the first. Play them on a vita and they look just fine.

Not a fan of 2 but 3 is a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fat to ripped

I thought this was naughty dog?

Advertisement