Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbiking - Vietnam/Laos (License, route, insurance etc)

Options
  • 14-06-2014 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hey everyone, any help would be appreciated. Especially anyone with first hand experience. I think this could be a really helpful thread as there is so much useless/conflicting information on the internet. I know lots of people do this kind of trip and lots want to.

I'm currently in Cambodia and I will be crossing into Vietnam in a couple of weeks. I have a full Irish driver's license (car and unrestricted motorbike) for the last 3 years. I know this is completely useless in this part of the world - if you can only answer a portion of the questions - please do. Any help is really appreciated:

1) Has anyone done a motorbike trip in Vietnam, and if so, how did you get on?
    2) Has anyone gone through the Vietnamese license procedure or did you not bother (I'm not condoning going without a license) - I know that I can go through an equivalency application with my Irish license over there but I know it takes quite a while. If anyone has done this, how long did it take?
    3) I'll leave from Ho Chi Minh City, any tips on routes? I have 3 weeks on the bike and can go as far north as is feasible. Avoid anywhere? Take certain roads, visit certain places.
    4) I hear the Minsc is a great bike for such a trip, would it have the power to lug myself, my girlfriend and 2 bags? What should I get, papers wise, when I buy? Other suggestions for bikes are welcome.
    5) What's the police presence like and how are they with foreigners?
    6) Is local insurance required or is travel insurance enough?

Thanks to all for looking and for any contributions.

Comments

Advertisement