Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to potatoes with steak?

Options
  • 14-06-2014 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Have some beautiful strip line steaks for tonight but looking for alternatives to using potatoes/chips to accompany them?
    What can people suggest
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Steamed / roasted asparagus?

Butter-fried mushrooms with garlic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Glebee

I'm having a mango and lime style chunky salsa today with mine. Just something different from spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Buttered Spinach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

You could whip together a easy simple salad of rocket, Buffalo mozzarella, sun dried tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and a pinch sea salt. Goes really well with a steak and really suits warm weather

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

My two favourite accompaniments to steak are...

1. Scallions & tomatoes fried in the pan while the steak rests. Then some stock added to make a gravy. Serve the lot with a couple of chunks of crusty bread.

2. Again, make a thin gravy by adding some stock to the pan juices & serve the steak with thick slices of raw onion & sliced white bread. Load up each forkful with steak, onion & bread soaked in gravy. Simple, but delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Soft polenta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

French beans, with butter melted over them. Nom.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mushrooms stuffed with breadcrumbs, garlic and cheese and a little melted butter, tons of sautéed onions, and roasted tomatoes. Crusty bread for mopping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I love a steak with a moreish blue cheese salad.

Also lovely with stuffed mushrooms with parmesan grated on top and oven baked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fried polenta.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Sorry for being pedantic but going by the assumption that a wholesome diner usually consists of a trinity of protein (meat or fish or some veggie substitute), vitamins and other bits (greens) and carbs (spuds, pasta, rice) asparagus, spinach or salad hardly qualify as an alternative for spuds.

I'd recommend some Spaetzle or chines noodles fried over or even cold with some fresh and spicy bits or do something a little more elaborate with your spuds like a nice cheese gratin or maybe what the yanks call home fries.

There is a quite nice fiery bam bam (or something) cold noodles dish from Jamie Oliver. You can google it. It goes well with satay chicken kebabs and should work fine with steak, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

We get some part baked ciabattas in the oven and after searing and resting the steaks, slice them up, open up the ciabattas and let them soak up the resting/slicing juices and have steak sandwiches.

Salad, mushrooms, onions, garlic on the bread, blue cheese etc all optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Sweet potatoes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Boskowski wrote: »
    Sorry for being pedantic but going by the assumption that a wholesome diner usually consists of a trinity of protein (meat or fish or some veggie substitute), vitamins and other bits (greens) and carbs (spuds, pasta, rice) asparagus, spinach or salad hardly qualify as an alternative for spuds.

I'd recommend some Spaetzle or chines noodles fried over or even cold with some fresh and spicy bits or do something a little more elaborate with your spuds like a nice cheese gratin or maybe what the yanks call home fries.

There is a quite nice fiery bam bam (or something) cold noodles dish from Jamie Oliver. You can google it. It goes well with satay chicken kebabs and should work fine with steak, too.

A lot of people added bread to their suggestions. there's your simple carbohydrates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Boskowski wrote: »

Assuming you dont have steak every day, I think you can skip a portion of carbs as a one off. A good steak dinner is usually high in calories anyway, so you won't be losing out.

I had an onion and red wine reduction sauce over my steak last night. Was very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Sweet potatoes :)

really good: baked sweet potatoe with (this is hard to find though) maple butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Jezek wrote: »
    A lot of people added bread to their suggestions. there's your simple carbohydrates.

+1, bread is being missed in many dishes these days, when it is not just good source, but it is tasty, too.

I often have a steak with breadcrumbed mushrooms (just dunk it in a an egg, and then in the breadcrumbs - flat mushrooms are perfect for this), add some nice salad on side and some slices of bread and it is a perfect meal.

I am a big meat eater so don't require a sauce if a steak itself is perfect.
    Just something to put on side to make it look nice, and - of course - get the carbohydrates in:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Steak needs nothing else. Give me a big juicy tender medium rare sirloin, scorched on the bbq. A little salt and pepper. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tonight I'm having 2 small flat iron steaks with just rocket and tomatoes and vinaigrette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I don't often do the the half plate starchy carbs, quarter protein, quarter vegetables thing for dinner so my steaks most often come with

- steamed green beans, parmesan, lemon juice, butter, black pepper
    - a salad of baby spinach leaves & ripe, ripe tomates with olive oil and mozzarella or a some mustardy french dressing
    - any salad vegetables lying about my fridge looking lonely
    - steamed and griddled asparagus

Or I might cook my steak and slice it to have in tacos or in a warm salad. If I have a large steak in combination with chips or potatoes it will often put me right to sleep, I'm great company afterwards!

If I don't mind needing a massive snooze afterwards I might make a loaf of extremely cheesy garlic bread to mop up steak juices with

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Its OK I didn't mean to berate, I often don't have an actual carb side myself (or very little).

And the suggestions are actually lovely. Nothing like a nice salad with your steak especially in the warmer months. Love asparagus or spinach, too.

But when asked for an alternative to spuds I just didn't think greens or salads are really an alternative from a nutrition point of view. Thats all I meant with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭disj

Try sweet potato fries (sorry if anyone already mentioned this)
    What I do is, chop them into fries (thin) par boil. Then drain them off, and if you can wait till they cool it helps. Then put some olive oil on them, toss them in cornflour (and if you want some paprika or salt and pepper) and either bake them or deep fry them. If you have an air fryer it gets them nice and crispy and way less oil. They are super tasty and an alternative to potatoes.

Also, sometimes you could cut the steak into strips and make a stir fry, black bean sauce can be lovely.

Steak salad is also nice, some spinach leaves things like that.... god I'm hungry....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

wonski wrote: »
    +1, bread is being missed in many dishes these days, when it is not just good source, but it is tasty, too.

I often have a steak with breadcrumbed mushrooms (just dunk it in a an egg, and then in the breadcrumbs - flat mushrooms are perfect for this), add some nice salad on side and some slices of bread and it is a perfect meal.

I am a big meat eater so don't require a sauce if a stea
    k itself is perfect.
    Just something to put on side to make it look nice, and - of course - get the carbohydrates in:D

How do you cook the mushrooms then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

More steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

ArtyC wrote: »
    How do you cook the mushrooms then?

Fry them in a pan.

I also add salt and pepper to the egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Couscous

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Nice piece of fillet... if you chat to the burcher or specialst butcher... Chateaubrianne ..... steak cooked for 2 hours .... LOL wait... at 57deg C in a water oven,, ( sous vide) seasoned to taste..

then quickly seared on both sides.

Served with chestnut musgroom filled with Roquefort cheese and lightly grilled to melt the cheese. The juice of the steak with splash of mushroom ketchup...

A couple of leaves of iceberg lettuce..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Anytime I have steak I always tend to accompany it with sweet potato cooked in various forms then with wilted spinach cooked with garlic and peppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

My two favourite accompaniments to steak are...

1. Scallions & tomatoes fried in the pan while the steak rests. Then some stock added to make a gravy. Serve the lot with a couple of chunks of crusty bread.

Jaysus I'm salivating :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement