Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot connect to some sites.

Options
  • 14-06-2014 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭

I have an unusual problem that has developed in the last couple of days, and i cannot fathom why.

I use firefox, but the issue is the same on chrome and IE.

Basically, there are a few sites, a small number, that i just cannot access on any browser. On firefox i get a "connection to the server was reset while loading" message, on IE it is "Internet explorer cannot display webpage" and it is something like "cannot load page" on chrome.

For most sites, things are fine, but for wikipedia, boards, mozilla, and some of those that clog up my facebook page, i get the messages mentioned above.

So far I have reset firefox to the default settings, cleared all history, cache, cookies...but no changes. I have looked at my laptop firewall, and it seems not to be an issue, though i am not the most pc literate person.

Dell Inspiron and vista home premium by the way.

Any ideas on what the issue is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Do you have antivirus and anti-malware programs? If so make sure they are updated and run a full scan on your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Panrich

osarusan wrote: »
    I have an unusual problem that has developed in the last couple of days, and i cannot fathom why.

I use firefox, but the issue is the same on chrome and IE.

Basically, there are a few sites, a small number, that i just cannot access on any browser. On firefox i get a "connection to the server was reset while loading" message, on IE it is "Internet explorer cannot display webpage" and it is something like "cannot load page" on chrome.

For most sites, things are fine, but for wikipedia, boards, mozilla, and some of those that clog up my facebook page, i get the messages mentioned above.

So far I have reset firefox to the default settings, cleared all history, cache, cookies...but no changes. I have looked at my laptop firewall, and it seems not to be an issue, though i am not the most pc literate person.

Dell Inspiron and vista home premium by the way.

Any ideas on what the issue is?

I had a very similar problem when I joined Magnet a few years ago. Turned out that I needed to change the mtu value on the router from the default value 1500 to 1492 or vice versa. Also might be worth changing your dns settimgs to an open dns server as a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Scoobydoo 2

There was a thread here earlier about eircom having trouble with their dns servers for the last few weeks the solution appeared to be to use a static dns
    cant post links as I have not reached the required minimum post quota

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Can you ping the sites?
    Check hosts file
    Run AV scan
    Try a different DNS config

• Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I will look into these suggestions - some of them go over my head, unfortunately.

I am mainly confused as to how a laptop can suddenly stop recognising these sites, while still recognising others as usual.

How can that come about?

• Advertisement

I pinged the sites in question - all requests timed out and 100% loss.

I also pinged some sites that i can access, and had perfect response, 50% loss, and 100% loss.

Just to update: the solution to this was to disable IPv6.

Advertisement