Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#end fathers day-apparently is oppressive!

• 14-06-2014 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭

http://m.nationalreview.com/article/380339/endfathersday-tweets-seek-stop-misogynistic-celebration-molly-wharton
    Fatherhood may or may not be a mystical estate, an apostolic succession founded upon a void. But activists are here to warn you that honoring the father glorifies rape, patriarchy, and child abuse.
    Expressing outrage at the offensive and sexist holiday, Twitter anti-fatherists are making one simple demand: #EndFathersDay.

It’s true that Father’s Day, like fatherhood itself, proceeds from incertitude and unlikelihood. The holiday struggled through much of the 20th century, as even Woodrow Wilson, the busybody president who proclaimed an official Mother’s Day, stopped short of doing the same for American dads. Presidential recognition only came with the Nixon administration in 1972, and Americans ever since have been lukewarm about Father’s Day — consistently spending substantially less than we do on Mother’s Day, for example.

Still, families across the country are expected to come together to celebrate fathers and fatherhood Sunday, bothering exactly nobody in the process. So what is #EndFathersDay’s beef (or no-animal-products beef substitute) with this harmless holiday?

Many of the tweets at #EndFathersDay also included #YesAllWomen, the popular grassroots hashtag where women can share stories of harassment or misogyny they have experienced.

All agree that Father’s Day is not something to be celebrated. Most argue that the holiday clearly celebrates the culture of oppression of women by men, and we simply should not be observing it.

Fcuk there are some miserable petty bastids out there

Happy fathers day this Sunday to all the dads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Bring it on I say.....last year I got a Halloween mug from my kids :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Father's Day, like Mother's Day and every other 'day' that is somehow more special than the rest, is a load of old bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

'Murcia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Any flimsy excuse for a World's Best Dad mug and a day drinking pass should be eagerly grasped IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

'Murcia!

Viva Espana?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

'Murcia!

The region in Spain? Do they hate fathers day too?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I always get asked what I want for fathers day, and always reply that there's nothing I need. (so I'll get socks, jocks and taken out for dinner prob)

A lie on past 8am, a mug of tea and some fried mushrooms with a poached egg that I could eatin bed would do me right.

Its the thought that counts though, nothing wrong with being spoiled for at least one day a year, as for my dad, I wont get up north to see the auld lad tomorrow, but I got him a nexus tablet and a few cards (it was his birthday yesterday too)

We only get the one dad, time is short and regrets are/can be avoidable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Slow news day when they make a story out of some Twitter activist hashtag.

Links234 wrote: »
    Slow news day when they make a story out of some Twitter activist hashtag.

It's actually a 4Chan hoax that caught on like wildfire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

It's actually a 4Chan hoax that caught on like wildfire

Not actually clear who did it at this point. Some of the responses are scarily psycho though

• Advertisement

A friend of a friend is the worst find of feminist and was discussing this in the pub a few weeks back, she felt that a day celebrating rape was disgusting. As you'd expect she was called on the tape remark and asked what the hell she meant. She replied that "any sex act involving a man is rape because the man has a or use"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

A friend of a friend is the worst find of feminist and was discussing this in the pub a few weeks back, she felt that a day celebrating rape was disgusting. As you'd expect she was called on the tape remark and asked what the hell she meant. She replied that "any sex act involving a man is rape because the man has a or use"

Your friend of a friend sounds like a fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

tritium wrote: »
    http://m.nationalreview.com/article/380339/endfathersday-tweets-seek-stop-misogynistic-celebration-molly-wharton

Fcuk there are some miserable petty bastids out there

Happy fathers day this Sunday to all the dads.

Did the Femtards have anything to say about Mother's Day out of interest? Surely we should ban it too in the interests of equality? :-D

realies wrote: »
    Your friend of a friend sounds like a fool.

She's an idiot of the highest order, the kind of feminist who blames the victim (if they're male) of sexual abuse for bring in on themselves.

I think I speak for most of us on here when I say, "huh"?

Haven't you heard of "mental" rape? I was accused of being no better than a rapist for openly mocking a so-called Feminist on Twitter once. Glad they have things in perspective. No wonder most women let alone most men don't take them seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

First of all, what the actual fúck? Someone please explain to me how Fathers day is misogynistic? :confused: Seriously.

I think mothers day/fathers day/valentines day, all them stupid holidays are a money making racket. Retailers have a fúcking field day. While I care for none of them stupid holidays equally, I still don't see the harm in any of them.

How can fathers day be misognistic and mothers day be perfectly okay? Honest to god, some people have a seriously warped view of the world!!

Haven't you heard of "mental" rape? I was accused of being no better than a rapist for openly mocking a so-called Feminist on Twitter once. Glad they have things in perspective. No wonder most women let alone most men don't take them seriously.

"because the man has a or use" .......how the feck am I supposed to get mental rape from that?

I would imagine that her argument boils down to the fact that she hates men and is envious of the penise. As she's a fundamentalist feminist lesbian I got the impression that she wishes she was a man and as she can't she's instead decided to hate men. She has a masters in women's studies and anytime I've had the misfortune to meet her she's been crying about the oppression women suffer. She's a backwards ass with serious issues and takes every opportunity to talk nasty about men.

I would imagine that her argument boils down to the fact that she hates men and is envious of the pensions. As a fundamentalist feminist lesbian I got the impression that she wishes she was a man and as she can't she's instead decided to hate men. She has a masters in women's studies and anytime I've had the misfortune to meet her she's been crying about the oppression women suffer. She's a backwards ass with serious issues and takes every opportunity to talk nasty about men.

Maybe it's your avatar, but I thought you were a bloke. :o

• Advertisement

Woah, woah, woah, just heard this twitter thing was instigated by 4chan....

I think they are just trolling.

Maybe it's your avatar, but I thought you were a bloke. :o

I am, I was referring to the lady in question

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭connected1

I would imagine that her argument boils down to the fact that she hates men and is envious of the pensions..

pension envy....... That's very Freudian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

My 6yr old daughter got me the fairy princess colouring book I've been dreaming of.
    And she gave up her valuable time to colour them for me .....

I am, I was referring to the lady in question

I was messing. :pac:

"because the man has a or use" .......how the feck am I supposed to get mental rape from that?

You're not wrong friend, that's modern Feminism for you I'm afraid.. at best hypocriticial and self serving, at worst outright bats**t crazy.

connected1 wrote: »
    pension envy....... That's very Freudian

Bloody auto correct, you write something and leave it assuming that it'll stay that way but no the iPod thinks it knows better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

You're not wrong friend, that's modern Feminism for you I'm afraid.. at best hypocriticial and self serving, at worst outright bats**t crazy.

mate, that's a spelling mistake

I was messing. :pac:

I know but I figured I'd best clear it up before I got any weird messages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Father's Day, like Mother's Day and every other 'day' that is somehow more special than the rest, is a load of old bollocks.

Here here.

An end to Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, Father's Day all these shítty commercial days.

It's not though. A few batshít crazy SJWs with Tumblr blogs don't define the entire feminist movement. I know plenty of self-defining feminists who roll their eyes at this whole "all teh menz r rapists" mindset. Looking at some of the replies on Twitter there were plenty of feminists calling #EndFathersDay out for stupidity.

That said, it was a good hoax because there almost certainly are some people out there with such a warped view. Thankfully these people are not in any sort of position of power and as such can be largely ignored.

Jezek wrote: »
    mate, that's a spelling mistake

Oh right, we hadn't noticed that, thanks for clearing it up for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Gannicus wrote: »
    Here here.

An end to Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, Father's Day all these shítty commercial days.

I wouldn't go that far, I make a bit of money out of them now and again. :p

It's not though. A few batshít crazy SJWs with Tumblr blogs don't define the entire feminist movement. I know plenty of self-defining feminists who roll their eyes at this whole "all teh menz r rapists" mindset. Looking at some of the replies on Twitter there were plenty of feminists calling #EndFathersDay out for stupidity.

That said, it was a good hoax because there almost certainly are some people out there with such a warped view. Thankfully these people are not in any sort of position of power and as such can be largely ignored.

Hi Homer,

I'm told there are reasonable minded Feminists out there who simply strive for equality with men. Then again you look at the large campaigns online like for instance trying to ban page three through establishing some kind of politburo of censorship and you see the comments made by prominent Feminists going largely unchallenged by their sisters (my favourite being that the male population should be reduced by 90%).

The Guardian ran an article yesterday by a well meaning Feminist saying that "women" preferred the TV series 'Walking Dead' to 'Game of Thrones' as there's no rape. Not only is this not true, I did wonder about the kind of morality which says that eating people alive is better than rape but no matter.

My girlfriend left a scatching remark on their Facebook page (142 likes and counting!) to the effect that not only does this Feminist have no idea what she's talking about, she's actually being incredibly conceited and sexist for both trying to speak on behalf of all women and at the same time decide for them what's too shocking for them to see.

What I don't see though is the backlash from these supposedly normal Feminists when one of their number crosses the line. (As I did for instance in England when debating White Supermacists from the British National Party).

Where are these paragons of virtue? Any self-identified Feminists who want to say that this whole notion is ridiculous, please feel free! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

I wouldn't go that far, I make a bit of money out of them now and again. :p

Personally I'd go further than that but I have a feeling I'd make myself a pariah here on boards. ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Yer wan big red shanty binx is one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I wonder how many militant feminists have loving fathers who they hate for the crime of being male? These ideologies are warped. Men and women are equally important, militant feminists and idiotic misogynists should leave the rest of us alone.

Glazers Out!

Hi Homer
    Ahoy!
    I'm told there are reasonable minded Feminists out there who simply strive for equality with men. Then again you look at the large campaigns online like for instance trying to ban page three through establishing some kind of politburo of censorship and you see the comments made by prominent Feminists going largely unchallenged by their sisters (my favourite being that the male population should be reduced by 90%).
    Realistically how many rational people, feminist or not, do you think agree with that? Sometimes it's better to ignore those kinds of hysterical extremists than dignifying them with a response.

There are plenty of things that feminists say and do that I disagree with or think are misguided. That's the thing with feminism; it's not one homogenous movement where everybody agrees with everyone else. But the basic definition of feminism, however one wishes to try and corrupt it, is about advocating the advancement of women's rights so that they may be considered equal., and that is something I fully support.
    The Guardian ran an article yesterday by a well meaning Feminist saying that "women" preferred the TV series 'Walking Dead' to 'Game of Thrones' as there's no rape. Not only is this not true
    That's one woman's opinion. It doesn't represent an entire movement.
    I did wonder about the kind of morality which says that eating people alive is better than rape but no matter.
    You can teach men (and women) not to rape but you can't teach zombies not to eat brains. :pac:
    My girlfriend left a scatching remark on their Facebook page (142 likes and counting!) to the effect that not only does this Feminist have no idea what she's talking about, she's actually being incredibly conceited and sexist for both trying to speak on behalf of all women and at the same time decide for them what's too shocking for them to see.
    Good for your girlfriend. Maybe she's a better feminist than the writer of that article.
    Where are these paragons of virtue?
    I wouldn't describe anybody as a paragon of virtue; you're never gonna 100% agree with somebody on everything. Though here's a recent article from a self-defining feminist who's criticising the anti-male sentiments that some feminists have: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/10831043/Modern-feminism-has-got-it-wrong-about-men.html

Another recent piece worth reading: http://www.salon.com/2014/06/09/men_can_be_feminists_but_its_actually_really_hard_work/

And even though it's just someone with a blog, I think this post by a feminist describing why she supports men's rights is worth a read: http://patriciahetherington.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/feminism-v-masculinity/

I don't necessarily agree with every single word these women say but I certainly don't see any of them as being man-haters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

(my favourite being that the male population should be reduced by 90%).

Where are these paragons of virtue? Any self-identified Feminists who want to say that this whole notion is ridiculous, please feel free! :)

Self identified feminist here who would like to say this whole notion is ridiculous, but I'm loathed to even dignify the above nonsense with a response.

Reducing the male population by 90%? It's an absurdity, an absolute dismal and tragically stupid position, but is exactly the kind of fevered Valerie Solanas themed garbage that some folks love to cherry pick from some random cranks Tumblr account. And as this thread has just gone to show, there's an awful lot of Poe's out there, so decrying every bit of nonsense out there is impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurum

[...] you see the comments made by prominent Feminists going largely unchallenged by their sisters (my favourite being that the male population should be reduced by 90%).
    I presume you mean this person? She is in no way a prominent Feminist. To use an analogy from American politics, she's the rabid Tea Party member ranting on YouTube about death panels and socialism. All members of a political movement aren't obliged to formally decry every insane statement by fringe members of their group.
    The Guardian ran an article yesterday by a well meaning Feminist saying that "women" preferred the TV series 'Walking Dead' to 'Game of Thrones' as there's no rape. Not only is this not true, I did wonder about the kind of morality which says that eating people alive is better than rape but no matter.

Well, it would make sense that more women than men would be turned off by the frequent sexual violence in GoT. It doesn't particularly bother me, I really enjoy the series/books but I know a lot of women who are really uncomfortable with the way that sexual violence is portrayed in the show. Also, the Guardian piece was responding to recent figures that showed that TWD *was* more popular among women that GoT, her hypothesis as to why was as valid as any other.
    Where are these paragons of virtue? Any self-identified Feminists who want to say that this whole notion is ridiculous, please feel free!
    If you're referring to the hashtag, Jezebel has already pointed out that it's a hoax and that the premise is ridiculous. EndFathersDay Was Brought To You By Trolls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Speaking as someone who doesn't have her dad this Fathers Day I think having one day in the year where you stop and think about your folks and all they have done and do is not too much to ask, sure its their job in a way but its still nice to have a day that reminds us how great our parents can be. I certainly don't expect anything on mothers day but its a nice feeling to know my kids appreciate me even if its just for that one day :) I'd give anything to be able to tell the old man how much we loved him.

So happy fathers day to all the boards dads, i hope you all have a great day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Just goes to show how many people are easily led and are lacking in a sense of critical awareness that what looks like a 4chan hoax has gained so much traction.

On the subject of fathers day, yes it is a commercial invention (but commercial inventions aren't necessarily evil things) but every year I do find it is nice to treat my own dad to a bottle of red and a round of golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I found the whole Fathers DAY thing a bit ****e.
    So several years ago I instigated the
    Fathers Day Festival Weekend.
    That's right. I want to be pampered, spoiled and worshipped as a man-God for a whole 48 hours.

Course, come Monday, I'm plain old daaaaad! again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

15/6 is my grandads 4 year anniversary so bit hard to celebrate father's day at the same time but not much ye can do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Heh, trolled good and proper.

P_1 wrote: »
    Just goes to show how many people are easily led and are lacking in a sense of critical awareness that what looks like a 4chan hoax has gained so much traction.

In fairness, have you heard some of the stuff radical feminists come out with? The fathers day thing is well believable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I look forward to it. It gives me the opportunity to tell Grandpa Billy that I appreciate him for being a great dad. (We're not the sort who would usually talk about such things.)

Also, it gives Mrs Billy the opportunity to remind our kids what a great dad I am & for them to be extra nice to me for the day.

I agree, the commerciality of it is a load of crap, but when I get cards that my boys made themselves - usually with a nice heart-felt sentiment - I am chuffed.

Unfortunately, I am working overseas right now but will look forward to getting scanned copies of the cards by email & a couple of virtual hugs on FaceTime. :)

nullzero wrote: »
    I wonder how many militant feminists have living fathers who they hate for the crime of being male? These ideologies are warped. Men and women are equally important, militant feminists and idiotic misogynists should leave the rest of us alone.

I brought that point up and she shut up for a minute before attacking me for being an "oppressive chauvinistic pig". I just started laughing at here and here twisted beliefs.

I brought that point up and she shut up for a minute before attacking me for being an "oppressive chauvinistic pig". I just started laughing at here and here twisted beliefs.

We're speaking from the position of privilege you see so every word for the mouths of us men is poison... :-D

• Advertisement
Advertisement